Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Question Routes across Rockies

we are pulling a 30' trailer with a 1500 Suburban. we will be traveling from Mi to Denver and then up to Yellowstone before continuing west to Oregon. We are wondering what the path of least resistance might be across the Rockies.
Arnie.carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie.carol View Post
we are pulling a 30' trailer with a 1500 Suburban. we will be traveling from Mi to Denver and then up to Yellowstone before continuing west to Oregon. We are wondering what the path of least resistance might be across the Rockies.
When you say then to Yellowstone, could you be a little more detailed in what you want to see of Yellowstone?

The route will depend on whether you want to drive through it or just get to a particular attraction within it. (ie, do you want to go through Jackson and the Grand Tetons (east entrance), or loop over to Salt Lake and up into Yellowstone from that side (south entrance)?) Either 70 west from Denver or 25 north are going to be about the same.

This may help,
Attached Images

2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

The steep part of the Rockies are west of Denver (Rocky Mountain National Forest). Denver and east is not bad (as in steep grades). Also going north out of Denver on I25 to Cheyenne isn't a bad drive. But as stated above there are several ways into Yellowstone so it depends on where you are going in the park. You could come in from the south through Jackson or the east through Cody.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

We will be camping at Chatfield State Park west of Denver--Steamboat Springs--Dinasaur Nat'l Park--Grand Tentons (Colter Bay RV Park-Moran WY)--YellowStone (Rocky Mountain RV Park--Gardiner, MT) and then to Bozeman MT to drop our son and family off at the airport... no plans on to Portland, Oregon as yet.
Any and all advice welcome for driving routes between those spots listed or on to Oregon and side trips
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Based on your list, you will be heading north on 25 from Denver. So from Colter Bay as a base you will want to visit Jackson Hole, and do a day trip to Old faithful (about 2 hour drive one way with in season traffic) since you will be closet to the east entrance. I would also suggest a float trip down the Snake, great fishing or just sight seeing at the base of the Tetons. Use this link, http://www.trianglex.com/jackson-hole-river-trips if anyone in the family likes horse riding this is also the best place to get a horse or join one of their trips into Yellowstone for a day, you will see wildlife and views on the horse trail that you will never find another way during tourist season in Yellowstone. The family that owns the Triangle X are great and will bend over backwards for you.
Then from Bozman you can drop back into Yellowstone at the North entrance to see the Hot Springs .
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

How about from Bozeman MT to Oregon? What might be the best route for that portion of the trip?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
How about from Bozeman MT to Oregon? What might be the best route for that portion of the trip?
I am not familiar with that stretch, my trips to Oregon have been by air. But you only have two choices, the south route (84)that would go down the west side of Yellowstone through Idaho. Or the North Route on 90. If it were me I'd stay North and head to Mt Rainier, but beyond that someone has to be on this form from that area to give you better ideas. Maybe they're all out camping this week
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Ain't no easy way going to Steamboat Spring outa Denver. Might as well go I-70 over the top. It's a tough pull but do it in the early morning if you can.

The rest of the trip from Steamboat to Yellowstone isn't too bad, go up 191 from Rock Springs and into Jackson. Bozeman into Oregon on I-90 has some tough pulls but dropping back down to I-84 in Idaho you will be adding a bunch of miles.

I just came down through Yellowstone and the Tetons last week. Great trip.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

Denver to Steaboat will be a tough pull. I 70 would be better than to take Hwy 34 through Estes Park and then through Rocky Mountain National Park. That road is hairy. Beautiful drive but hairy pulling a trailer. I 70 is steep and windy before you get into Vail but since it's an intersate it's a better road.

You could take hwy 9 north of of I70 to get to Steamboat. Hwy 9 cuts north before you get into Vail and is probably a little shorter mileage wise, However I would almost recommend continuing on I 70 through Vail and then north on 131 into Steamboat. From my recollection it's a bit bettter road. t's been a while since Ive been over these roads so maybe someone with more recent experience can help out more.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Would they be better heading north on 25 through Casper then into Jackson Hole? Shorter than west on 70, and better than through Steamboat, not as scenic but i think a much easier pull.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Our son wanted to go through steamboat springs to see someone he met while biking across the Rockies after graduating from college. If it isn't doable maybe we should make other camping arrangements other than Steamboat for a night
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

It is certainly doable. Based on your itinerary, you should go west on I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel to exit 205 (Silverthorne). North on CO-9 to Kremmling and US-40. West on US-40 to Steamboat Springs. From there, you can continue on US-40 to Dinosaur and Vernal, UT, then follow US-191 to Jackson and Yellowstone.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #13

Quote:
The I-90 route west out of Bozeman through Butte and Missoula and through Idaho is an easy pull (We just towed that route in June of this year). If you're in a hurry, take I-90 all the way to Ritzville, WA, then 395 south to merge with I-82 down to Umitilla then 730 weat to meet up with I-84 west down through the Columbia Gorge to Portland. If you have the time, hwy 12 out of Missoula through Lewiston, Idaho and down through Walla-Walla is a very scenic drive, but winding road makes for slower going! Either way, watch for high winds at The Dalles in the Gorge! They can be fierce!

Choose your route out of Denver carefully! West on I-70 is a good, steady climb to the Empire Pass area, and you'll be close to 10,000 feet altitude. If you're heading up to Dinosaur, I strongly suggest that you take I-70 west out of Denver all the way through the pass and down to Silverthorne, then hwy 9 north to Kremmling, then hwy 40 through the Steamboat Springs tourist trap. Craig, CO has an excellent ex-KOA campground (Graig Campground) on the west side of town that is very clean and quiet. (there was highway construction between Craig and Steamboat with minor delays) That puts you within easy reach of Dinosaur.

To get up to Yellowstone from Dinosaur, you have a choice between back-tracking to Craig and taking CO13/WY189 north to I-80 then west to Rock Springs and on up to Jackson and Grand Teton, or... from Dinosaur to Vernal, then north on 191 through Flaming Gorge to I-80 west of Rock Springs. This last route will try your stamina if you're not used to 9 tight switchbacks on steep 9% uphill grades... But... the scenery is truly magnificent. Just pay attention to the signs! When they tell you to take a turn at 25mph, I strongly suggest you do so!

From Jackson north through Grand Teton to Yellowstone is a breeze. Make sure you have reservations at Yellowstone!

Enjoy the trip and keep safe!!!! I hope you can catch the odd tail-wind!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne

The I-90 route west out of Bozeman through Butte and Missoula and through Idaho is an easy pull (We just towed that route in June of this year). If you're in a hurry, take I-90 all the way to Ritzville, WA, then 395 south to merge with I-82 down to Umitilla then 730 weat to meet up with I-84 west down through the Columbia Gorge to Portland. If you have the time, hwy 12 out of Missoula through Lewiston, Idaho and down through Walla-Walla is a very scenic drive, but winding road makes for slower going! Either way, watch for high winds at The Dalles in the Gorge! They can be fierce!

Choose your route out of Denver carefully! West on I-70 is a good, steady climb to the Empire Pass area, and you'll be close to 10,000 feet altitude. If you're heading up to Dinosaur, I strongly suggest that you take I-70 west out of Denver all the way through the pass and down to Silverthorne, then hwy 9 north to Kremmling, then hwy 40 through the Steamboat Springs tourist trap. Craig, CO has an excellent ex-KOA campground (Graig Campground) on the west side of town that is very clean and quiet. (there was highway construction between Craig and Steamboat with minor delays) That puts you within easy reach of Dinosaur.

To get up to Yellowstone from Dinosaur, you have a choice between back-tracking to Craig and taking CO13/WY189 north to I-80 then west to Rock Springs and on up to Jackson and Grand Teton, or... from Dinosaur to Vernal, then north on 191 through Flaming Gorge to I-80 west of Rock Springs. This last route will try your stamina if you're not used to 9 tight switchbacks on steep 9% uphill grades... But... the scenery is truly magnificent. Just pay attention to the signs! When they tell you to take a turn at 25mph, I strongly suggest you do so!

From Jackson north through Grand Teton to Yellowstone is a breeze. Make sure you have reservations at Yellowstone!

Enjoy the trip and keep safe!!!! I hope you can catch the odd tail-wind!

Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash
It is certainly doable. Based on your itinerary, you should go west on I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel to exit 205 (Silverthorne). North on CO-9 to Kremmling and US-40. West on US-40 to Steamboat Springs. From there, you can continue on US-40 to Dinosaur and Vernal, UT, then follow US-191 to Jackson and Yellowstone.
Thanks to all for the suggestions!
We traded our suburban in for a diesel F350 in western SD.
Now perhaps we will feel more safe and able to go across the Rockies pulling our 30 foot trailer.