Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

RVing plus tent

Hello
We are new owners of a 28ft sunseeker RV and are planning our first 'big trip'. We will be meandering through the National Parks of southern BC/Alberta and then heading south through Montana, Wyoming, Utah/Colorado, Arizona & Nevada over 5 or 6 weeks Sept to Mid October. We are being joined by friends from the UK from Calgary to Las Vegas and they love tent camping, and so intend bringing their very small tent with them and not to actually sleep in the RV. So our party will comprise 4 adults, one RV and one pup tent and my question is will we find campgrounds where it will be possible for us all to occupy one site? They noticed that there are far fewer tent camping possibilities in national parks etc than RV campgrounds....but perhaps this as there are campgrounds without washroom facilities for backpack campers and that would not be an issue for us as they will use our RV for everything except actually sleeping in it. Any comments or suggestions welcome.
PamonGabriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

I'm sure others will chime in, but my experience is that a small tent is USUALLY allowed in the same campsite as an RV. Lots of folks have kids that like to sleep in tents. (Sometimes it's better than a short dinette "bed.")

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #3

RVing plus tent

I know there are much more experienced folks here than me, but my kids sometimes like to throw the tent up outside our Mh. I have found that in the national parks as long as the cars have a pass, and we have paid for the number of people..all is good. The same kind of goes for the RV parks. What they try to avoid in "some" places is a tent occupying a space where a motor home could park for an extended period of time. However, that's due to tent campers sometimes not wanting to pay for the spot an RV would occupy. I think it's so dependent on the place you are going and you would need to call ahead. I have definitely found places where it's either not "safe" in their opinion..or it's just not allowed. Also, they just want the cash for the number of folks you have occupying.
I'm sure other more seasoned folks will have some replies. We have done both for years. It really depends and you should most definitely figure it out before you go..or else it's gonna be nice and cozy inside haha.

2015 Charleston 450BH
*I'd Rather Be in my Rv"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ashley
Tallcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

In most of the national parks the majority of the campsites serve both tent campers and RV's campers. I would expect you to have plenty room for the tent somewhere off of the pad/drive. Some parks also have tent only campgrounds or sites but you are not required to use them. The same goes for most state parks I have been to over the years.

We were tent'ers for years. As the children grew up we reached the point that we started using two tents. One for us and one for them. We never had any trouble finding sites large enough to accommodate both. Also over the years we often saw people with an RV also having a tent on the same site.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

In Ga at least typically they state one camper (Pop up to motorcoach) and will specify how many tents, up to two usually but I recall seeing three.

See it all the time, but best thing is to call and ask just to make sure.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #6

The last couple of years we have been taking our vacation around the same time and the last two years we have hit snow in the northern states so I would make sure they have warm sleeping bags to sleep in. Most of the campgrounds that we have stayed in some have had tents and rv in same site

kdcamper 2011 Chev 3500 ltz cc 2013 8329ss d.p. husky centreline air ride hitch

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote