Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Scented Trailers??

In September 2011 I purchased a slightly used 2011 Prime Time Tracer (manufactured in 2010). There has always been some sort of a perfumy "fresh scent" odor in the trailer. I have scrubbed all the walls and cabinets. I have left the windows open. The trailer sat closed up over the winter and this scent still remains. I was wondering if Prime Time Mfg. builds some sort of a scent into some trailer components. How do I make this trailer scent-free?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

CTDave
CTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

What do you want instead of the fresh scent?

Would a musty, persistent fart odor work better for you?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

I was being kind with the "fresh scent" description. It is honestly very annoying. I have a sensitive nose, I guess. In general, I can't stand perfumed laundry detergents, or sprays such as Febreeze, which the odor in the trailer reminds me of. I was hoping your reply could have been of more help.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Could it be a special edition from Forest River, a Febreze model

There seems to Febreze everything these days.

But seriously, they probably cleaned and deodorized the unit for the sale.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

I'll be honest with you, we use those cone shaped air fresheners in our trailer when we are camping to help cover the food odors and uh, er, other odors.

This may sound strange but, mold in the walls and the like has a sort of perfumy smell.

Could be the previous owner soaked the rig with Febreeze to cover up the formalgahide smell.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

It is possible that the previous owner sprinkled carpet fresh on the carpet. You should be able to tell by smelling the carpet.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the rug airing out on the line, but that does not seem to be the culprit because the smell is still there. I will try using an air freshener with a scent that I don't mind and see if it works!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

CTDAVE,

My older neighbor lady years ago use to set out a bowl of White Vinegar on her countertops for household odors. She was a smoker and you would never know it.
The vinegar is suppose to absorb the odors in the house. As I say, it's just a suggestion, but I find myself doing it as well.

As for the perfume smell, I too would have said the previous owner may have used Carpet Fresh. We have used it before on our carpets and it is very perfumy. Give the White Vinegar a try. Fill a big bowl, close up your camper for a couple days and see how this works. If it helps lessen the odor, it's a cheap solution. Good luck!
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #9

Briorick,

Thanks for the vinegar suggestion - worth a try for sure.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Try baking soda as well, sprinkle it directly on the carpet, leave it a few hours then vacuum it up
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

We washed the carpet. That didn't eliminate the smell. I hope the previous owners didn't spray all the cushions in the trailer with Febreze. However, as the smell is still there and I have scrubbed all the walls and cabinets, and washed the carpet, that is about all that is left.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #12

I wish I had more of your problem! Our 320 Crusader suffers (well not suffers) but still emanates a slight chemical odor from the various materials used in construction.I have in the past doused it with extra-strength Fabreeze which lasts for a while and then wears off gradually.Yours doesn't sound so much of a spray on-or application of something as much as perhaps something that is still there.Have you looked for something as simple as dryer sheets stored away somewhere?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #13

We set out a handful of coffee beans in a bowl or coffee filter. I have no idea why, but it seems effective taking odors away.
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #14

Me still thinks you need to check for water damage in ceiling, walls, floor, behind cabinets. Mold and mildew can put off an odor that can come and go according to humidity and moist conditions. I had a leak in the metal siding on the front of my previous trailer. Started leaking around the window seal. Got the insulation wet, then the wood, then mold and mildew, inside the wall. You would never know it unless you took the window out and looked down the inside of the wall. Hope this isn't your problem. It can be a me$$!