Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Shout out from Northern California (and a question)

OK, so I'm officially a Rockwood 2007 Freedom 2280 PUP owner. Purchased it in Utah and towed it back to California - my wife's GMC had no problem at all with it. So now the question is registering it in California. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've read where I can apply for a PTI (Permanent Trailer Identification) and I've read that I have to tow the vehicle to the DMV office so that it can be verified by the DMV officials.
Glad to have this forum available to me for asking questions like this.
Be well, all

Marty
marty6strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
TeresaInCAL

Welcome Marty! Wish I could help you with the question, but I can't. Someone here will have an answer for you.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty6strings View Post
OK, so I'm officially a Rockwood 2007 Freedom 2280 PUP owner. Purchased it in Utah and towed it back to California - my wife's GMC had no problem at all with it. So now the question is registering it in California. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've read where I can apply for a PTI (Permanent Trailer Identification) and I've read that I have to tow the vehicle to the DMV office so that it can be verified by the DMV officials.
Be well, all

Marty
Hello from SoCal!

Sorry but I don't remember much about PTI since it didn't apply to my TT. Have you check the DMV site for more information? Might be worth a call to get the information from the horse's mouth because I got mixed information from different people back when I was considering a 12' Scamp trailer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Be well, all

Marty
Welcome from a fellow NorCal'er who just got back from the Giant's Parade!!! GREAT JOB, GIANTS!!

if the popup is under a certain weight, it will qualify for the PTI. we had it for our old popup. but we couldn't get it for our Hybrid TT.
you need to check the DMV's website for the correct info.
you will have to tow it to the DMV so they can verify the model and weight, in order to issue the PTI.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Bikedan
The Giants rocked it, didn't they? Thanks for the confirmation, be well.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Only ones I know they allow a permanent plate is for toy haulers.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #7

For future reference check

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/...trailer_id.pdf

This is the California Vehicle Code - especially 242

Be well,
Marty
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Be well, all

Marty

When registering it they will ask you how much you paid for it.
If you have a written receipt will help if not I think they look at Kelly Blue book for value that way then tax you on that amount.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

Iggy,
Thanks for that, yes, I've got title and bill of sale and proof of insurance. I've got enough paper to choke a horse.

Marty
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Explorer

Congrats on the trailer
I don’t know exactly but I do know there are some extra hoops to jump through when bringing an out of state vehicle to Cal., some of which are time restrictive fallowed by penalties if not done on time.
My parents bought a new 2012 class A(motor might have been the problem) in Cal. but because of options the camper was shipped from out of state. The dealer(finance gal) said that they had 60-90(forget exactly) to register in Cal.. Wrong, when mom went to register DMV charged $350 fine for being late plus they wanted the camper at DMV to verify stuff. Ends up they only had 7-10days(again, not sure on exact time) because it was an out of state vehicle. Because my parents have a seasonal spot and is not easy to get the camper out, they had a sheriff(friend) come by and sign-off on the DMV verification paperwork.
For added info, had my parents registered it out of state first waited something like 6months and then wanted to reregistered it in Cal they would have had 120 days with out penalties. And yes, there is an ongoing battle with the dealership to pay that $350 late fee.

I don’t know everything but I know a little about a lot. This tends to just make for more questions and hopefully more knowledge.
Good luck
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #11

I went to the DMV, they had a verification lane where an agent came and verified the trailer and then I was charged the sales tax based on the amount posted in the title and I walked out with the plate and the reg - about one hours time - easy!