Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Slide comes out after last one in

I have a 2010 3-slide 5th wheel (Forest River Cedar Creek 36RE) and have a slide issue. When we retract all the slides, they sequentially retract just fine. However, the second one that retracts, gets pushed out a few inches at the top right when looking at it from outside the camper after the third one retracts and the pump sound changes to the "i'm finished" sound. Even if I get on a ladder and try to keep the top right corner pushed in when the last slide reaches it's home position, there is pressure that I can't compete with that pushes the slide out the few inches.

Does anyone have any ideas? This 5th wheel is new to me by a week and a half.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #2

I hope someone can provide guidance as I need to repair it this weekend. Thx.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Is this opposing slides? If so, have you confirmed there's nothing jammed in between them causing #2 to get pushed back out by #3?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #4

Thanks Kaadk.

Yes it is the opposing sides. I haven't removed the plastic cover (under the trailer) beneath the mechanisms yet to look. Sure appears to be a hydraulics issue however because the slide that gets pushed out (#2 in sequence) only gets pushed out when the hydraulic pump begins to make that higher pitched sound when it's finished retracting that last slide.

I'll take a look at the mechanisms tonight and post observations here.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshall1 View Post
Thanks Kaadk.

Yes it is the opposing sides. I haven't removed the plastic cover (under the trailer) beneath the mechanisms yet to look. Sure appears to be a hydraulics issue however because the slide that gets pushed out (#2 in sequence) only gets pushed out when the hydraulic pump begins to make that higher pitched sound when it's finished retracting that last slide.

I'll take a look at the mechanisms tonight and post observations here.
Could be the extend valve for the bad slide is leaking slightly, the other slides operating take the Lions share of fluid but when finished the leaking valve gets full pressure for a bit allowing the creep. Not sure of your system but Lippert uses manual override valves in addition to solenoid operated units. Pressure drop across a leaking valve is low but can allow creep when system pressure becomes avail.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Mine was doing the same thing it would open the top rear corner. It was out of adjustment and was pulling the bottom in at the cylinder side and tipping the corner out. If it is new and under warranty I would take it back to the dealer to have it adjusted.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

onetonford. Did your problematic slide go all the way in, then at the end of the last slide's retraction cycle, the slide with the issue pushed back out a little? (and mine is also pushes out at the top more pronounced than at the bottom.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #8

VinceU. If it was a leak, would the problematic slide come out instantly or gradually? Mine is coming back out instantly. Again, only 2-3 inches at the top.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #9

It is the last because it was the refrigerator side I only have two and if you stopped it before the hydraulics topped out on pressure it would be normal and closed but I was afraid to move around with low pressure on hydraulics as they could move out. The way the slides are made they are attached to the mechanism on the side wall and float on the open end so if your cylinder pulls the frame mechanism too far in it hits the bottom of the wall and pivots the other end up the reason on mine why it would not lift the opposite end was because rack and pinion slop between them. Inside I have a ceiling speaker I noticed it would clear OK when you would extend it and just barely when coming in it would lift that corner so much. After having it adjusted it clears the same amount both ways.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshall1 View Post
VinceU. If it was a leak, would the problematic slide come out instantly or gradually? Mine is coming back out instantly. Again, only 2-3 inches at the top.
No, my experience with leaking valves is its a slow gradual problem. Sounds like yours is binding and creating spring motion when the hydraulics stop.

Tags
slide, slide out