Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #1

So Excited...

Husband & I just ordered a 2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS. We both camped as kids, but not since being married. Looking forward to traveling the US. Looking for a good list for basic necessities i.e. tools, set up supplies, and such.

Another concern is getting the hitch set up. We have a '09 GMC Sierra 1500 with a class III hitch. We ordered a 1000/10000 lbs. Equalizer WDH. We'll be driving to Indiana to pick up our HTT in early September and installing the WDH ourselves. Any idea on how long this will take?

Looking forward to getting out on the road.

John & Kim
Doglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #2

It should just be bolt on stuff should nt take to long unless you have an friction sway control then you are going to need a drill and some sockets and some big wrenches but also not to difficult to install .Just curious,where in Indiana are picking this up?Also welcome to the forum
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

check out your tongue weight. 1,000 pound bars may be too much. you will need a minimum of 500 pounds on the tongue for this system to work properly. you might be happier with 800 pound bars. i've been through this situation with bars that are too stiff.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have also thought about the bars being too stiff. Based on the info available, the HTT has a tongue weight of 509. By the time we add some propane tanks, battery and hitch itself, we'll be up around 700 poinds. There will probably be some extra gear in the TT and in the truck as well. Am I off in my thinking?

It is our intention to set this up for the first time when we pick it up in Elkhart, IN. If we can't make it work, we can alway tow it home with a simple ball.
Doglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Team

If you got the Equal-i-zer brand a couple of large (1-1/4") wrenches and a few smaller ones are all you need except for the ball. You'll need a socket to tighten the ball. If it were me, I'd call the place you're buying it from and have them agree (in writing) to install at least the ball for me. They'll most likely have the tools to do it. Be sure to take the instructions for the hitch with you and a measuring tape.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Team

congrats on joining the Roo Kroo!!!!

all the 23SS owners i know, including me, got the 1000/10000 Equal-i-zer and are happy. that 509 number is the "dry" weight and totally fictional. it's tongue heavy for its size. you do need a special socket to tighten the ball. the dealer we bought ours from set up ours for free, even though they sold Reese.

the 23SS floorplan is perfect for two people. we love ours and hope to use it well into the early stages of our retirement.
there are plenty of 23SS owners out there. be sure to post future questions on the Expandable section here at FRF.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote