Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Soon To Be New Owner

Hi Everyone,

I should be taking delivery of a 2011 Berkshire 390bh next week. It is scheduled to roll of the assembly line today.

I've been lurking here for a little while but figured it's time to introduce myself.

I'm located in the Orlando, FL area.

My family and I are really looking forward to traveling the country. This is the first RV we've owned. We've rented in the past and enjoyed our trips but wanted to get something a little more substantial than what you can usually rent. I'm hoping the Berkshire will live up to our expectations.

--Mike
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #2

We realy love our 2008 390QS. It has been a great coach since we bought it new in March, 2008. Enjoy your coach. It is a great bargain for the cost of the NH.
2008 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Crew Cab Toad
Callie - Fur Kid
kmsavage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Sweet! Enjoy

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on the new Berkshire. I bet you all are excited beyond belief. We were and were a bit overwhelmed when we got there. Remember when you go to pick it up, take your time. You may want to make a list of question before you get there. Be sure to get everything demonstrated so you can see that it works. Best wishes for you and your familly.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Welcome fellow '11 Berkshire owner. We love ours and are currently on the road in Boston with our kids. Fun times on the road!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #6

Mike,
Welcome to the forum and the Berkshire family. I love my new unit. Friday I will be taking it to Croton Point Park, NY for the week to relax and read my manuals!!
Congratulations and many happy miles rving.
If you have any questions or concerns this forum has been so helpful with knowledgeable people.
Debbie
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #7

Mike,

Congrats on your new Berkshire. There are a number of 390bh owners who hang out here including myself so be sure to ask any questions you may have.
Be sure to post some pics after you pick it up.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #8

Well?

Did you get it and do you like it?
What are its strengths and shortcomings?
Is it the quality you were hoping for?

I want to buy one but I like a rear window and never see them in rear engine motorhomes, yet I still want 2 sofas up front and bunk beds.
7kidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #9

Haven't gotten it yet. I'm supposed to take delivery this Thursday.

It rolled of the assembly line last Thursday and is in transit now. Dealer will have it for a couple days after that.

It's going to be a long week.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingEngineer View Post

It's going to be a long week.
You can say that again!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #11

Well, the coach delivery was delayed by a day. The driver took his time getting to Florida. We're heading over to pick it up tomorrow.

The dealer sent me some pics of the new coach and it looks like Forest River changed the rear of the coach with a larger grill on the back and different style tail lights.

I'm not sure, but the new lights look like they could be LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3001  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #12

I bet they are LED lights. Great looking coach. Enjoy.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Nice looking coach. Can't wait to see the whole thing. Enjoy it and Congrats!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #14

The lights were LED. One really unexpected issue though. The engine in the coach was the new DEF engine. We were specifically buying now to avoid this.

The factory had told the dealer this wasn't a DEF engine. The MSRP on the coach had the $15,000 up charge for the new engine but the factory insured the dealer it wasn't the DEF engine. The factory also removed the $15,000 up charge to meet our offer price.

Somehow though, we ended up with the new engine. My only real concern with getting the engine was the added cost. Since that had been removed, getting a DEF engine wasn't enough of an issue to walk away from the deal. The dealer also kicked in some $$ to compensate us for about 5 years worth of DEF.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #15

No longer Soon To Be Owner

Here's a picture of the coach at home.

Before we bought the coach, my kids and I built a scale model from LEGO of the coach. We then we went outside and measured the street, driveway, mailbox, lamp posts, etc that would be obstacles. We transferred all this to scale (1 inch = 1mm) on a poster board. We built the RV model with a 55 degree turning radius like the Freightliner website stated. We tried every conceivable approach to the driveway and found none that would work (except 1). I had to pull as close to my curb as possible, line the back wheels up with my mailbox and cut the wheel all the way to the side and backed in.

You probably can't tell but our driveway is on the side of our house and is only 1 lane wide. At the mouth of the driveway, we have a lamp post on one side and a mailbox on the other so there is no room to go over the curb if needed (probably not a good idea anyway).

This was an awesome lesson in math for the kids and what do you know, it worked perfectly. Exactly as our LEGO coach had been able to navigate the driveway, our real coach was able to as well. We got it in the first try without any readjustment.

The kids were thrilled and I told them this was a perfect example of math at work.

Anyway, thanks for all the nice welcomes from everyone and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of question of the other Berkshire owners.

Thanks again everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9972.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	3033  
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #16

It looks perfect in your driveway! I am jealous that you can park yours in your driveway. My driveway has too much of a slope and the rig reached close to the sidewalk. I miss not being able to just go and sit in it LOL
Congratulations again and enjoy.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #17

Thanks! The kids, wife and I have been just sitting in it the last couple days. We had dinner in it tonight. We can't keep it in the driveway indefinetly. My HOA won't allow it. We've got storage for it but were going to Disney's Fort Wilderness Friday so I didn't see the point in putting it in storage.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Your color combo looks like ours and I do like the new rear end. I guess I never will understand how RV manufacturers can change the looks of rigs in mid year. Our '11 looks like a '10 but is on an '09 chassis.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #19

Actually, the reason for the rear change is due to the new 2010 engine.

I don't recall why the radiator is bigger. Perhaps it is thinner and therefore taller and wider. Again, don't recall. I remember it had something to do with the new DEF engines. Possibly space for the DEF system?

Anyway, I watched a Freightliner video some time back and remember it stating all the changes from 2009 to 2010 and the radiator was bigger.

So when Forest River ran out of the 2009 engines (on 2011 models), they had to change the rear.

I love the LED taillights but can't say they are worth having the DEF system as a trade.