Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Soon to be RV'er

Hello from Vancouver Island! My wife and I have been trailer shopping, and I think we've narrowed it down to a Catalina 243RBS. I've got a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 Eco Boost and the max tow package, so I'm ready to tow. The dealer should have a 243RBS in next week, and we're going to go and decide for sure. Lots of information (and disinformation?) out there, so lots to learn!
Wolperdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

Welcome, good luck with your new RV/TT, every travel trailer has it's on personality and problems, no two are the same. It will take a little time to figure out everything about your new TT. I like the model you have chosen, the only thing that catches my eye is the bedroom door, it opens in front of the entry door, you will always be fighting that door or leave it closed which is not always good for heating and cooling, a slide type door would be better, but not sure it's available on that model. I am not a professional just live full time in our TT, ( travel trailer). Good luck and enjoy your new adventure.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Thanks! We put a hold on a trailer and will sign the paperwork tomorrow. We chose a 2017 Catalina Legacy Edition 263RLS. We really liked the big picture window at the back. Can't wait for the weekend!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #4

Great ,go over it with a fine tooth comb, step on every square inch of floor for soft spots, look in every cabinet for water damage, around every window for water stains, in the ceilings also. Go on top and check for soft spots in the roof. Buying a used trailer you are buying as is, l didn't know anything about travel trailers when l first bought and l missed water damage in the bedroom floor next to the wall as and inside the bedroom closet , travel trailers are not like mobile home, they can have water intrusion in the craziest places. Does this unit have plywood or composite flooring, plywood is best. Is the roof of the trailer a flat roof or does it have a pitched roof , pitched is best , water want stand on the roof . Check real good around the skylight if it has one, for apparent leaks. Used trailers a lot of the time get traded in because of defects or problems, the dealer want tell you, unless you ask, then they don't always. Good luck .
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Thanks for all the tips. Even though it's a 2017, it's brand new and hasn't been used. The floor is 5/8" ply. We are getting the full 12 month manufacturer warranty, and we're buying a 6 year extended warranty on top. I usually don't get the extended warranty on things, but this is all new to me and for the price I think it's fair value for peace of mind.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

Great, but keep in mind warranties are good, but keep up on all your maintenance, because for what l can see that's the loop hole they use for warranty work. Still go over it as if it was pre-owned , they can still leak and no one has been checking it. Just the most common problem water leaks even on new one's.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

Good luck
Old 07-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #8
Just as confused as you

Check everything and take pictures of anything you find that is broken or doesn't work. Don't sign off or give them the check until everything is fixed. Many times once the dealer gets the money your pretty much on your own when it comes to repairs. Other times when you take it in for repairs they will have it for weeks before they look at it. Some members have been without their RV for months.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice, all. Much appreciated.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #10

If you can, wait a year before you buy the warranty, otherwise your 6 year warranty becomes a five year, as the first year they will usually have you use the manufacturer warranty for the first year.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
If you can, wait a year before you buy the warranty, otherwise your 6 year warranty becomes a five year, as the first year they will usually have you use the manufacturer warranty for the first year.
Nope, not the case with my dealer. It kicks in after the 12 month period, so I have 7 years coverage. If I don't use it, I get 75% of the cost back.