Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Step by step

Hello everyone. New to forums, as in, this is my first post. And I'm even newer to camping. On day 1 of 4. I have the general setup down. I have no idea how to run my furnace( gas or electric) or my water heater. It's a 29' 2006 pull behind. Any help in proper steps would be greatly appreciated
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Professional Texan

Tell us what kind of trailer you have.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

a little more info on the trailer would be helpful. what make/model trailer? tell us a little bit (or post a picture) of your control panel. Is your TT winterized or dewinterized? Do you know if the plug is in your water heater (outside panel near where water heater is located will have a removable drain plug) and are all the shut off valves turned the correct direction to fill your heater.... this will take some playing to figure out if you don't know. Once drain plug is in and valves are turned to let water into tank, if you ware hooked to city water, your hot water tank should begin to fill. look on your control panel (usually near where switch for water pump, and tank indicator lights are) for a switch for water heater. is yours gas and electric or just one of these options? either way, flip the switch and wait (make sure water is in tank before turning on so you don't burn the anode out). gas will heat quicker than electric (I have dual and will use gas if I need to heat quickly).

my dometic controller is a newer one but has a switch and I scroll through fan, AC, and then heat. heat is propane powered so make sure propane is filled and on. we ran our propane out during the night before. The heater quit cycling. Filled the tank, turned heat off and then on again and it worked fine.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #4

Model SV 291. I got some great info from demoore earlier, thx again. But, after running heat for about 5 mins, unit cut off. Set temp on thermostat was not reached. Kicked back on, but no warm air since. Have undone and redone all connections. Bottles def full. After about 20 seconds in the lite position I also can't get gas from the stove I cooked on earlier? Thx y'all
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have air in the line or a gas leak somewhere? Make sure valves are turned on and the switch is turned to the bottle that is open. Check all connections
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Will do thx. How can air get in the line? Just stumped that heat was on then quit. Furnace runs just not warming. How does the pilot light work on it?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #7

Also, the valves on bottles are definitely on. The switch on the regulator won't move, it doesn't seem to be movable. But why have a switch pointing one way or another at all if its not movable. But still both bottles are full. I've turned off and taken lines off and turned bottles on to insure propane is flowing.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

Thx for all the help. Figured out it was a leak on the bottle I was using. My regulator only works one side at a time. I see exactly what ur talking about with the anode, will replace upon return home.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
Thx for all the help. Figured out it was a leak on the bottle I was using. My regulator only works one side at a time. I see exactly what ur talking about with the anode, will replace upon return home.
To clear up a previous post, the anode will not burn out, but the electric heating element definitely will if you turn it on without water in the water heater. The anode is a sacrificial element to protect the tank itself. Has nothing to do with any heating. It should be replaced when it is 50%-75% gone.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
To clear up a previous post, the anode will not burn out, but the electric heating element definitely will if you turn it on without water in the water heater. The anode is a sacrificial element to protect the tank itself. Has nothing to do with any heating. It should be replaced when it is 50%-75% gone.
thanks for the clarification.