Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Still a wannabe

I just joined the forum and don't have a camper yet but we are seriously looking at an R-pod. Still trying to decide between a pup and the R-pod but think we are leaning toward the R-pod because it's hard sided and light weight.

Years ago we used to tent camp when the kids were growing up but after they left and we spent several nights in the car because of storms I said NO MORE TENTS! We would like to get back to camping now that we have retired but I don't want to sleep any where near the ground!

I am looking forward to asking lots of questions on this forum. Thanks in advance for any help with my questions!
LindiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum. This be the place to ask all of your camping questions.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #3

Yes The members here are FANTASTIC and are welling to help....so ask away
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum .The rpod are a little small but a really cool looking camper if it is what you want go for it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #5

my suggestion would be to buy the biggest your budget and truck can handle. it'll save a lot of trade-ins in the future.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Welcome to the Forums. If you are set on the R-pod, the RP-175 seems that it would give you a little more space. Some things to consider are a permanent bed that can stay made up, and having the refrigerator up off the floor. A slide makes a huge difference and AC is pretty much of a must if you are planning on using it during the summer.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Thanks for the warm welcome from all of you! We are anxious to make a decision and a purchase...we are considering the R-172 because it has bunks in the front so we can take our grandkids camping with us. We love the RP-175 but the couch is not large enough to sleep or 16yo GD AND our 10yo GS...the bunks would be perfect for them. We are trying to find out how much weight the bunks can support to see if we could use those for sleeping when it is just the 2 of us...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Have you considered a tent for those occasions when you take the grandchildren and/or their friends?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Have you considered a tent for those occasions when you take the grandchildren and/or their friends?
I had not considered a tent and it is certainly a thought...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindiJ View Post
I had not considered a tent and it is certainly a thought...
Yep, it sure is.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindiJ View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome from all of you! We are anxious to make a decision and a purchase...we are considering the R-172 because it has bunks in the front so we can take our grandkids camping with us. We love the RP-175 but the couch is not large enough to sleep or 16yo GD AND our 10yo GS...the bunks would be perfect for them. We are trying to find out how much weight the bunks can support to see if we could use those for sleeping when it is just the 2 of us...
Something to consider from my personal experience:

We really liked the Georgetown 378 with the fireplace,we both also liked the 370 with the bath and a half. We have three daughters, youngest was 15 at the time, now in college. We figured 3 girls + DW, no brainer, bath and a half. Purchased the 370, one month later oldest daughter gets engaged. Middle daughter is a full time nanny for a couple with children. Now when we go camping 75% of the time or more it's just my wife and I. I think we could snuggle better in front of that fireplace instead of that powder room. We haven't had this motorhome 3 years yet but I really wish we would have had better foresight. Your GD is 16, not too many trips will she be going with you. 10 year old GS, he most likely would love to be in the tent with a couple buddies.

When we trade in this motorhome, no time soon, but we'll be looking for what suits our wants and needs for us, not the possibility of others coming with us.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #12

Thanks for the insight! I completely understand what you are saying. We still think the 172 is for us because we don't want to take the room for a full time bed...we would rather have a full time dining area and use the bunks for us except if the kids go with us.

You are certainly correct in that we need to get what makes us happy instead of basing all decisions on others coming camping with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Something to consider from my personal experience:

We really liked the Georgetown 378 with the fireplace,we both also liked the 370 with the bath and a half. We have three daughters, youngest was 15 at the time, now in college. We figured 3 girls + DW, no brainer, bath and a half. Purchased the 370, one month later oldest daughter gets engaged. Middle daughter is a full time nanny for a couple with children. Now when we go camping 75% of the time or more it's just my wife and I. I think we could snuggle better in front of that fireplace instead of that powder room. We haven't had this motorhome 3 years yet but I really wish we would have had better foresight. Your GD is 16, not too many trips will she be going with you. 10 year old GS, he most likely would love to be in the tent with a couple buddies.

When we trade in this motorhome, no time soon, but we'll be looking for what suits our wants and needs for us, not the possibility of others coming with us.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
ARLO

R-pod

Don't rule out pop-ups. There are some very nice, roomy ones out there with many nice features, including a/c. Comfortable beds, lots of open area, fridges, furnaces etc.. they are light and very easy to tow. Some even have a shower/portapotty option.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #14

IMO, after going from tenting in 2009, to a tent trailer in 2010, tenting and tent trailering is almost the same. The only advantage is your off the ground, the fridge and water heater are nice but the furnace can be loud making sleep difficult. Mostly from it coming on and off so often. Canvas don't hold the heat in very good.
And also unpacking required setting up again, had to dry it out also. So when we camped, we tried to avoid setting up and taking it down in the rain. And we still needed our coolers as the fridge is only accessible when the trailer is set up!
Now in 2011, we have a new RPod model 177! No setup other than leveling, plugging in power and water, which can be done in the rain if need be. Easy access to our fridge for food, and any other items we want to bring.
Mind you if we were younger and my wife didn't have arthritis, we probably would have kept the tent trailer a few more years. The ease of use, weight and features of the RPod really decided for us. Actually, as it turns out, the RPod is about 25 - 50 lbs lighter with a tongue weight 12 lbs lighter than the TT we had.
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #15

My 2 Cents...We scrambled from Tenting of many years to a Rockwood Pop-Up 1910 (2004-2006), Rockwood 232S Roo Hybrid (2006-2008) and now XLR 30X12 (2008 to present) and to conclude when retirement comes...we would keep the XLR 30X12 as our Park Trailer and for travelling, go with an R-POD with a Slide or ETC 184 with a Slide. Note, the idea for us is to gain as much living space as possible during camping mode and for as less size as possible when the trailer is in travel or toll mode. As for the tenting from the 1910 and 232S, getting too old for making sure everything is sealed properly such that no bugs or rain can leak in. Just want to park and enjoy the great outdoors in the Great White North.
MegaCabby is offline   Reply With Quote