Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Surveyor SV-291 new owner

I just came home with a 2009 SV-291 Surveyor travel trailer. I graduated from a pop-up. I have a lot to learn about pulling this new trailer.

Scott
skogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #2

Scott, Congrats on your new camper and welcome to the forum.There are a lot of good people on here willing to help all you have to do is ask. Good luck with your new camper.
You will find it really not hard to tow and back as you would think actually it will be easier to back then your old pop up at least i thought is was when i went from pop up to TT
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new camper, and WELCOME to the forum! The 2 main things you'll notice- or WILL notice very quick, is the difference in space necessary to turn. If you're not careful, you'll damage your tires/rims by turning too short! Also, the amount of pulling power required now to pull the new beast will be substantially greater than with the pop up. (gas mileage goes south too, especially if you pull with a gas powered vehicle) Still, these new issues are just minor pitfalls compared to the SPACE that you now have, and the convenience...(no more cranking or leaks). I did the same thing justover a year ago, and my only regret is that I didn't have a bigger truck with a diesel.
Good Luck with your new rig, and any questions that you have, feel free to ask on this forum, and somebody will help you! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

Congrats, Scott.
Enjoy your new Surveyor.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #5

We also have a SV291. It's an 09 model bought when the 09's came out in May of 08. We camp once a month all year round...sometimes twice a month when we have the time. As stated above.. watch the sharp turns with the TT, wheels can only take so much abuse. We also graduated from a pop-up to the SV291 so the learning curve is different. The only thing that has broken is the quick release for the water heater access door. Cheap plastic thingy. The bed in front, the qween size one, needs a memory foam matress from Wal Mart as the springs tend to dig into ones back. When the kitchen sink knob breaks as ours did, do not take it back to the dealer. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a house grade one like I did. Its a simple install. Do not load the front of the TT too much even though you have all that great looking slide out space in the front. Remember.....and let me repeat this....KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN...Place the bar stools (if you have them) on the bed when traveling, it keeps them from scuffing the floors. This particular TT has a VERY LOW ClEARANCE in regards to rear bumper and dump valve clearance issues. Be carefull where you pull in...or out.
On the upside...we love the SV291....went from a pop-up to this and it is night and day. I pull with a 2001 Chev Z71 with a 5.3 L with no problems. We have been to Ga., Al., Fl., and are going...in June ...to Fl,GA,SC,NC,VA, back to NC and then home.
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Bill,
On may first time driving the SV-291 I found out how low the back is. I dragged on the back protectors pulling into my driveway. Did you install a TV? If so, what size and how? I am looking at a 22 or 26 inch and plan to screw it to the back. I know I will have to remove the mirror first.

Scott
skogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #7

SV291 owners here also. We bought ours new in 2007. I really like the changes that have been made for 09 and wish that some of them were in our trailer. That being said, We love our 07 and plan on keeping her for a long time. It's a great camper and you'll get many great memories from it.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #8

Hi all first time posting here, in the next while we'll be purchasing a new sv 291 as well. This is our first travel trailer and we love the floor plan. I am concerned about the dump valve on the rear of the trailer, is it possible to modify the valve to add more clearance, or has anyone added the 4" lift kit ? or should i even be concerned ?

Thank's
Logan

p.s. tow vehicle is a trd tacoma double cab
Logan's Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #9

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to FRF. Hope you have many wonderful years and outings with your new camper.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #10

Happy 291 Owner here as well!

We love ours... the only think I would suggest is to make sure you check the plumbing in the slide. We have had a few leaks, but we take care of them and move on.

Anyone add the lift kit yet? That is the one lingering mod I keep thinking about.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #11

If you install the lift kit, make sure you are aware that this will dramatically change your center of gravity and will most likely affect sway, and you will need to change your hitch height on the TV
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Run View Post
Thank's Logan

p.s. tow vehicle is a trd tacoma double cab
you're really going to pull a 30 1/2 foot trailer with a Tacoma? doesn't that have a v-6 engine.
that trailer is going to weigh at least 5,000lbs. from the factory before you add propane, water, battery and cargo.

you better have a really good WDH with sway control.
IMHO, i wouldn't tow a 30+' trailer with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.
i don't think you'll be pulling that trailer with it very long.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #13

Hello again, thanks for the response guys. Yes the tacoma is a V-6 but according to her specifications she's within her capacity. The truck weighs 4145lbs (curb weight i believe)and the sv-291's dry weight is 4962lbs. The tacoma's GCVW is 11,100lbs so we should be ok.

Our favorite camping area is only 1.5hrs away and we don't take fresh water with us. The WDH is a pro-series hitch 10,000lb capacity and the torsion bars are rated at 550lbs, accompanied with a sway controller. I don't go looking for speed records and i always adjust my brake controller a little bit ahead of my tow vehicle.

I appreciate the comments. great forum here!

Logan.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #14

Logan,
I was going to put the lift kit on my 291 but decided not too because the TT tows great in its low profile configuration. Sure, the dump valves are a pain when emptying the tanks but in mho it is worth the hassle of lifting the hose and kind of slucing the water and waste out. After the first couple of trips tighten all water supply connections. Expansion and contraction makes them work loose. Enjoy.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #15

By the way..the Z71 with a 5.3 and 3.73 gear towes great at 60 mph. Pulling 2,200 rpm and no strain. Actually have to not make it pull in overdrive in order save that wussy overdrive gear. Put it in tow/haul and drive away.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #16

Thank's Bill for the ! for some reason there doesn't seem to be many people that tow with a tacoma. If she's designed to take it, then why not go for it ?

Logan.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #17

Is anyone having trouble with leaks in their slide-out ?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Proud Member

Yes. My 291 slide out had leaks, but they were very easy to fix. All of them were due to manufacturing defects. "Whoops, someone forgot to tighten the fittings" What are your issues? Where is the water? I discovered mine when there was water on the galley floor coming out of the cabinet.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
Yes. My 291 slide out had leaks, but they were very easy to fix. All of them were due to manufacturing defects. "Whoops, someone forgot to tighten the fittings" What are your issues? Where is the water? I discovered mine when there was water on the galley floor coming out of the cabinet.
Same here... water on the galley shelf run onto the floor.

Leaks in kitchen sink hoses, bathroom sink hoses, and apparently water comes in through the slide when driving in the rain.

But all have been minor to fix. I learned long ago that with an RV comes a need to master "cheap, mobile home repair." LOL

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #20

I always keep in mind that the roof assembly has moving parts, unlike a house. Leaks happen.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife