Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #11

I had a problem is 2006 with the camper i have now, uncontrollable sway the problem was not the tires because i was towing with a 3/4 ton Suburban with load rated "E" tires (10 ply) the problem was the hitch, it was set too low.

Chap you are 100% right the dealers just slap the crap on and call it good and no one takes resposibility but if anything happen while you are towing, then the driver is in trouble........The issue of hitch work has come up before and that is all i will say.....................

Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 3

took TV and trailer to dealer yesterday. They road tested the unit and rechecked the hitch. They claim everything is good. They are telling me that the problem is the TV. What they are saying is due to the coil spring set up on the rear suspension in the Tahoe(dips in the road causing trailer movement to transfer to TV and flex coil springs)
Does this make sense to anyone?
Thanks for all the feedback. We are leaving on a holiday tomorrow and I'll just take my time.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbt View Post
What they are saying is due to the coil spring set up on the rear suspension in the Tahoe(dips in the road causing trailer movement to transfer to TV and flex coil springs)
Does this make sense to anyone?
I call BS...What do they think the coils are for?!?!?! they do flex up and down, the rest of the suspension keeps side to side movement minimum.

I personally tow a 24' TT with a 04 GMC Yukon and wouldn't want to tow anything over 28'. My Yukon has very quick steering any lil movement of the wheel and it reacts quick with out a trailer. These trucks don't have a very long wheelbase and 32' is a lot of camper IMO for these trucks.

I would be looking to upgrade a few things to continue pulling your current TT.
1. Not 100% sure on this or not being 20" wheels that doesn't leave much sidewall to start with but I would be looking to upgrade to LT Tires. need more sidewall to help with the side to side movement of TV
2. Get the best hitch money can buy!!!

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #14

I now tow with a 2008 Chevy Heavy Duty 1/2 ton "Vortec Max" and i tow the same travel trailer, an 8314ss. The truck came from GM with "P" rated tires as it is from GM with a 6.0 gas engine, 4 speed auto trams and a 4:10 rear the truck is design to tow 10,000 lbs as it is with the "P" tires and i have no problem. This is the same trailer i towed with the 3/4 ton Suburban as i had mention earlier when i had the sway issue.

At what speed do you notice the sway? mine started at 51 miles an hour.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #15

Sway will start at 60mph and get's worse as speed increases.
On a 4 lane hwy it's not as noticeable as a 2 lane highway. I don't think the suspension is the problem. The hitch they say is set properly.

I'll try it again and play with the weight distribution in the trailer and hitch. If all else fails then I'll purchase the Hensely or the Propride. I'm not sure which one is the better of the 2. Everyone has there preference so I'll do a little more research before I make that call.

If upgrading the hitch doesn't work then I'll have to upgrade the TV(which I don't want to do if possible) However safety is obviously my #1 concern, not only for me and my family but for the other drivers out there as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #16

Do you have a friend with a tow vehicle that would give a test pull on your trailer? Save a LOT of guess work! Youroo!!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #17

I tow with a Yukon XL 2500 8.1 L . We tow a 34' trailer. Travelled over 200 miles (each way) last summer and the sway was terrible. Updated my suspension this year with Sumosprings and I can't believe the difference. The sway is practically not even there. Was going to go with airbags but the Sumosprings are DIY , fit it and forget it and cheaper (under $200.00) . Might be worth a try as it would be less costly than a TV upgrade. I too would ditch the 'P' rated tires and go with at least LT. I'm also going to install an Equalizer hitch as I have read many good things about it and it is much less expensive than the ProPride or Hensley.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
MrT

I'm in the ballpark with rockwood06. I had the rig back to the dealer on the day after I picked it up, and they had a different tech check and re-adjust the hitch setup. Nice and solid now--and I always keep it below 65 just as a matter of personal practice. I haven't owned the Hensley or similar hitches. For my 800-ish bucks, the Straight-Line works just fine when properly set up.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #19

OP you may want to check out the sequence for setting up your hitch - see suggestions here :Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tahoe w Equalizer and Autoride suspension..need some help
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

IMHO, a 32' TT is too much for a Tahoe, unless you get something like the Hensley.
your Tahoe has a shorter wheelbase than my '07 Avalanche and i would never tow that long of a trailer.
the Tahoe is famous for having a soft suspension since it's mainly a grocery getter/kid hauler.
now a 25' TT would be more doable. but i wouldn't tow a 32' TT without something with a stiffer suspension.