Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Thank you

Thank you for allowing me on this forum. We are on the search for a lightweight hard side camper. Our now TV is a hyundai 2009 santa fee limited with factory tow package. Tow max 3500 lbs max hitch 350 6 cy 3.3 liter front wheel drive. We have looked at several rpod, t@b, retro, camp lite, aliner we have not looked at hardsided rockwood yet. We would really like something with at least a potty but know we are limited on what our now vehicle will tow safely and we really would not feel comfortable with something big anyway. We are coming from a popup with king bed and queen other side. Our now TV tows this with no issues it weight about 1900 lbs Gvwr. I would appreciate any input on what you all have that might possibly meet this criteria. We are older folks and definitely need an easier set up then what we have now. Thanks, looking forward to any comments

Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Canadian Member

If your Santa Fe is rated for 3500#, it should pull any of the Rockwood/Flagstaff hard side models. They'll definitely be less work to set up and tear down than a regular popup with tents, but you're sacrificing some floor space because the bed is inside the box rather than out the end.

Looking at the current floor plans, only one model has a toilet inside but you'd have to put the dinette up and down every night to have that convenience.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend that you not get anything with an unloaded weight over 2500# because you'll be at or over 3000# loaded. Anything over 2000#, consider adding a weight distribution hitch.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Dad of 2 teenagers...

I was in the same place last fall. Had a 12 foot pup that opened to 23' with a King and a Queen. TV was a Sienna with exact same specs. Wanted to get rid of the "tent" part. Only way I could keep same living space was to upgrade TV.

Now if you don't need the extra space, the Palomini 142CK and 150RBS would be worth looking at. Going over 15' of floor will put you over your towing capacity and/or hitch weight once loaded up.

Have fun shopping!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char1 View Post
Thank you for allowing me on this forum. We are on the search for a lightweight hard side camper. Our now TV is a hyundai 2009 santa fee limited with factory tow package. Tow max 3500 lbs max hitch 350 6 cy 3.3 liter front wheel drive. We have looked at several rpod, t@b, retro, camp lite, aliner we have not looked at hardsided rockwood yet. We would really like something with at least a potty but know we are limited on what our now vehicle will tow safely and we really would not feel comfortable with something big anyway. We are coming from a popup with king bed and queen other side. Our now TV tows this with no issues it weight about 1900 lbs Gvwr. I would appreciate any input on what you all have that might possibly meet this criteria. We are older folks and definitely need an easier set up then what we have now. Thanks, looking forward to any comments
Welcome to the Forums from Huntsville AL!!

The Rpods have a almost fanatical following! The GVWR is right at your max tow weight. You can get a external screen-house/canopy that zips to the frame effectively doubling your covered living space. I have seen a fully decked out 'pod at the Forest River International Rally, and I can guarantee you it will blow *any* PUP out of the water (And they have a potty AND a shower )

Speaking of the Rally, all the Rpod owners camp as a group (I think there were 50 of them last year!), elect their own Rpod "town" 'Mayor' and generally have a blast all week! Like I said...Rpod owners are pretty fanatical about their rigs!

Other options...If you are judicious with your cargo carrying capacity (CCC), you can probably tow a Evo Select. A Rockwood Roo is doable as well but you will have to seriously watch your CCC.

Given your TV (Tow Vehicle) I am inclined to suggest you take a hard look at the Rpod. My biggest concern with the Roo is you can stuff a LOT of cargo in the Roo-17 and you could seriously be over your GVWR. Same with the Evo Select.

Oh...and when you decide that the Santa Fe is just not cutting it as a TV, don't make the mistake like a lot of us have done...just go ahead and buy that 1 ton--you KNOW you are gonna want that 42' Cardinal!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char1 View Post
... Our now TV is a hyundai 2009 santa fee limited with factory tow package. Tow max 3500 lbs max hitch 350 6 cy 3.3 liter front wheel drive. ...
In addition to the limitation on hitch weight you have to subtract your TV payload from what your vehicle can carry before you can determine what's left for tongue weight. Many people are surprised to learn that, while the trailer specs are less than or equal to the car tow specs, that is not always true after taking the car payload (kids, dog, gear and groceries) into account. Weigh your vehicle when loaded for camping to be fully informed.

Also, towing a hardside trailer is more than the weight. It's like dragging a parachute. It may work but just be aware you may be at the extreme fringe of your vehicle's capabilities.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote