Old 01-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Thinking about it!

Good Evening all,

So yesterday on a whim, my wife and I decided to take a trip into Boston to the RV expo. I have been thinking about a toy hauler. My wife walked into a 31se and fell in love with it. (So much for my toy hauler dreams) But she is right in this will fit more of us, and is not as ostentatious as the haulers. A nice simple trailer.

So I wanted to take a minute to see what kind of luck anyone has had with the Freedom Express line.

To put you on the same page. We have had a 1983 Layton 35' camper for the last 5 years. There is nothing wrong with it, we love it with the exception that as the family grows and the kids bring home their SOs we keep gaining members. This allows for a little more interior living space when we all get together. We dry camp 90% of the time and live off of batteries and tanks.

Either way, we may soon be the proud owners of that show special. But we shall see.

Thanks for any information. And if any of you other Mass folks dont mind. Who do you insure your trailers through?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMays View Post
Good Evening all,

So yesterday on a whim, my wife and I decided to take a trip into Boston to the RV expo. I have been thinking about a toy hauler. My wife walked into a 31se and fell in love with it. (So much for my toy hauler dreams) But she is right in this will fit more of us, and is not as ostentatious as the haulers. A nice simple trailer.

So I wanted to take a minute to see what kind of luck anyone has had with the Freedom Express line.

To put you on the same page. We have had a 1983 Layton 35' camper for the last 5 years. There is nothing wrong with it, we love it with the exception that as the family grows and the kids bring home their SOs we keep gaining members. This allows for a little more interior living space when we all get together. We dry camp 90% of the time and live off of batteries and tanks.

Either way, we may soon be the proud owners of that show special. But we shall see.

Thanks for any information. And if any of you other Mass folks dont mind. Who do you insure your trailers through?
Campers don't use words like this!

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Team

We have a 2015 Freedom Express 248rbs and love it. No major issues so far. Much of the layout the same. One suggestion, the stab jacks are mounted to plates welded to frame, but off center. Check yours and ask dealer to remount centered on frame. It improves the stability when set up. If unit does not have outside kitchen, I highly recommend especially with kids. Saves many trips in/out for drinks and snacks. The outside kitchen was a major selling point for us.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

This one does not. It is the show special it has an access door to the rear bunk and under bunk storage area. But the kids are all in there late teens or twenties. So that's not troublesome.

I did notice that the trailer was not as stable as I thought it could be but i sorta expected that to have been because thousands had been through it. I will check that out though thanks.

How does she tow? I am used to older heavier trailers that lay in nicely.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Campers don't use words like this!
Especially not if they want to make friends here and get good advice. I don't consider my TH ostentatious, I just wanted to bring my bike (and my wife's) with us when we camp. And since we decided not to have kids, we have the (extra? Is any income really ever extra?) income to afford a camper that doesn't need a bunk house in the back to house a small army. It's all about choices, my friend--I make mine, you make yours, but don't call toy haulers (or, by extension, the people who own them) ostentatious--you don't get to make that judgement.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Sorry if my opinion bothers you. You absolutely have the right to have whatever you want and can afford. Personally since I do dry camp most of the time and run off of battery only things like electric fireplaces, 4 or 5 televisions etc are pointless for the camping we do.

If they made one that was a little more function over form I would be all over it. If I were full timing it then it would be a different story as well.

Besides a 90k camper is out of my price range.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

I didn't and still don't know what the word means!

If it's a cuss word, tell me more about it.

I don't have such an impressive vocabulary.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ostentatious
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #9

Just means overkill essentially. Not a cuss or derogatory. But boy I have never camped with satellite TV and I light my fires outside.

The guy I was talking to was from the manufacturer. He looked at me like I had 4 heads when I told him that I wanted something plain. The only reason i want separate rooms is because my kids keep bringing girlfriends and friends with them when they come and I wanted a little privacy.

If you want to see what I would consider ostentatious take a look at grand design. Don't get me wrong it"s stunning. But damn. Where does the butler go and where the hell is the hot tub.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #10

There are plenty of THs out there that are simple in form and function. What you're seeing at the shows are the cream of the crop, they're going to have all the bells and whistles that you may or may not need. One advantage of the TH is that, when the kids aren't along, you can bring your toys, and when they are along, the garage is a second bedroom. It's also nice to have that space as a "mud room" when it's raining out. All in all, you can get a nice TH for way less than 90k if you look around. I don't think I'd ever go back to a non-TH after having one.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote