Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Third try is the charm?

My wife and I bought a very used motorhome in the late 1990's to try our hand at RV'ing. I ended up spending more time under the darned thing working on it, than enjoying it. When we sold it I was so burned out with it I swore that I wouldn't even consider another RV. About 18 years later we decided to take the plunge and buy a travel trailer. Let's just say it REALLY didn't work out and we don't have it anymore. Now we've taken the plunge and we pick up a new Rockwood a-frame (model A212HW) on Wednesday. Our maiden trip is with our grandson through Maine and the Canadian Maritimes this month, followed by a motorcycle rally in Tennessee in July and another rally back in New York in August.

I am retired from the U. S. Coast Guard where I served as an engineer (30+ years) and my wife worked for the Canadian government for many years, and later became a HR consultant. We actually met on the Internet back in the mid-1980's. For fun, we both like to bicycle, kayak and go to the gym. She also does a lot of volunteer work (with VITA, for instance). I have a small home machine shop where I have a paying hobby of machining custom motorcycle parts, mostly for old Harley's and sometimes for local farmers. BTW, the "ChEng" portion of my screen name is a navy acronym for "Chief Engineer" which is a position I held on a couple of Coast Guard cutters. "Chengdave" was my computer password for several years....

I tend to over engineer stuff and I'm looking eventually to get out camper as totally self contained as possible so we can camp off the grid and in the boonies. We used to tent camp that way, but I don't relish sleeping on the ground anymore....
chengdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

well ....welcome back to RVing maybe the timing wasn't right before, it sounds like you have a great trip planed enjoy
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forest River Forum. If I were you I would make the maiden trip something local just in case you need to work out a few kinks.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote