Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Thoughts on Salem LE 25KS

Hello all,
My wife and I are looking at a Salem LE25KS. We saw one last year and love the layout. After 40 yrs of camping , age, back and the coastal BC and Pacific MW weather has us looking at a TT.
We've looked at other dealers and models and none have swept us off our feet. Last September , while in Oregon we scheduled a tour of the Forest River plant. We were very impressed. We went down to the floor and walked through the stations from frame to roof, to install of cabinets, flooring, to out the door. Honestly, I've read the comments over the last while , and they are not thrown together.
Does anyone own a LE25KS? Pros ,con's?
I know it's heavy and has less tank capacity, is this a decent model?
I've checked NADA and can see the highs and lows of pricing. I am also aware of you get what you pay for...I've read all those threads....WOW.
We love the wet /westcoast and as I have driven professionally, (rigs) this unit is a piece of cake for me.
Is this TT a level entry, to cheap, not enough? Is there a better model for price?
These units are retail in Canada $24,500/ US $18,900 before negotiating.
All comments , good or bad are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Not sure about that particular model, but we own a 2005 Salem LE 29BHSS and we are happy with it overall. If it fits your needs, Go for it!
Do you have enough Tow Vehicle for this model?

Dan, Kelly and Maddy.
Cupid and Kandi the Camp Dogs
Tomball, Texas
2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Yes no problem, we have a F250 4x4 5 speed, 351.
I sure like the new diesel that Ford has though, been doing some research .
Just at home, not the bank lol
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Looking at it myself before deciding, so it's just thoughts. I don't know what LE25KS is (probably more upscale interior), so will talk about just 25KS.

1) Layout is spacy, wide from dinette to kitchen, because both kitchen AND sofa are in the slide. This is possible because the entire rig is lifted above the wheels well. This in turn means extra step at the entry door (Con #1) and extra gas because of taller rig (Con #2).

2) Extra counter, but it is too long, almost getting in the way to rear door (Con #3). I would replace it with a smaller base cabinet - easy.

3) No bunk beds (waste of space for those without kids).

#1,2,3 - see above.
#4: Heavy. there are 2 different weight quotes, 6550 lbs and 5800 lbs, go figure. With 5800 rig even Ford F150 would tow it (6500 towing rating for older F-150, don't know about newer ones). With 6550 rig you need a better truck.

#5: Kinda wasted counter space behind stove and sink - for some reason they didn't move base cabinets all the way to the slide wall. For the same reason kitchen base cabinets are encroaching main floor area. Though this isn't as bad as in rigs where kitchen is not in the slide.

#6: Kitchen is dark - they should've made window behind sink, not behind the sofa. I don't need sun shining at the back of sofa.

#7: On many units the kitchen/bedroom divider wall is not open. (On some it is open).

#8: Bedroom door is next to the foot of the bed - bad idea in cold climates, though you can permanently lock and insulate this door. This 2nd door is not needed in any but very hot climates.

Enough thoughts for an old topic, I guess.
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote