Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #1

Tips to pull dry and have water later

First off, I wanted to make it clear that our family is supper new to this world and have received a crash course of sorts to get where we are now. We purchased a Forest River Sierra 27 ft Toy Hauler. We are supper excited! we noticed that we have two very large water tanks under the trailer and have two questions:
1) average toy hauler is around 100 gal but the dealer was under the impression our tanks looked "bigger" than normal. How can we know exactly how much water we are packing? This will help with the weight calculation.
2) Driving any amount of med to long distance with around 700 lbs of water can eat fuel. What can we do to leave empty but fill up near where we plan to dry camp? Are there places to fill up? And how can we locate them? Are some places better than others?

Again, Thx in advance
nexcompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Welcome to "The World"!

I believe you should have a "Cargo Carrying Capacity" sticker on the RV (front drivers side exterior?). It might not mention how many gallons, but it should mention how much a full load of water weighs and you can do the math (8.3lb/gal according to my sticker).

Alternatively, you can check the manufacturers website for the specs of your camper.

Sorry, I don't do much dry camping, so I can't help you with where to get water while "on the road".
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
Site Team

First, it would help if you posted year and model number.
then someone might know where to find the info you need.

Second, an extra 700lbs isn't going to lower your gas mileage much, since it's the trailer's frontal area that affects mpg more than weight.

Third, where do you plan on dry camping? every campground we've dry camped at, had potable water available at the dump station.
or do you mean that you plan on boondocking?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427732860.324867.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	72541
I attached the sticker from the front driver side but do not see the water weight as suggested. I had a thought of Turing on the hose and filling a 5 gal bucket, timing it and then seeing how long it took to fill the tanks. That math would get me close.

27' Forrest Sierra Toy Hauler
Pulling toys for my boys!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Bikendan
I thought dry camp was out with no facilities, but again I am new to this world and lingo. If this is called the other, then yes that. We plan to go to Moab soon and its a 4 Hr pull. I would rather pull dry than wet if possible but would not know where to fill up down there if not staying at a campground of some sort. IE KOA

I have a ton of questions like solar, batteries, LED's location finders which makes my mind swirl... But I am creating new threads in the proper areas. 😉

26' Forrest Sierra Toy Hauler
26FBSP
Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Here's a link to Sierra 26FBSP Toy hauler......it lists 100 gallons fresh water tank....

2006 SIERRA 26-FBSP by FOREST RIVER
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Anacortesians

During our early travels, we bought the idea that hauling water from home wasn't a good idea. We found an awful lot of really skanky water out there. Our home town water ranks among the top 5 in the nation for quality and clarity.

Our rig had a 45 gallon tank, so I figured an extra 400 pounds or so in a 22,000 GVW rig wasn't going to make that much difference to gas mileage and it was well worth it for the quality. A Dan points out, our vehicles aren't the most aerodynamically efficient out there!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Most of the places we camp are dry in the sense that while there ~may~ be a water spigot for washing dishes, there's no electric or water hookup; the toilets are one-holers. There is no dump station, so no opportunity to get water. (We mostly go to Forest Service or state campgrounds.) We just fill our tanks before we go, but we might be able to fill up at a gas station before we head onto the dirt roads. Never even thought about it before, so don't know for sure if it's doable!
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #9

In PA, the state park campgrounds, at least the ones I'm familiar with, have dump and water fill stations that you can use even if you aren't camping at the park. Our local state park charges $9 to use the dump station. You can try finding a state park near where you want to go.

When we bought our new camper it was recommended to us by the dealer not to travel with the water tanks full as it puts undue pressure on the straps holding the tanks. I don't know if this is true or not, but we always stay at campgrounds with fresh water hookups, so don't haul water anyway.

And they do make in-line filters for RVs to help clean up any taste, color or clarity issues with water supplied by the campgrounds.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Agree that the full FW tanks won't impact on fuel mileage much.

The location of the tank(s) can be very important and the impact on tongue weight.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

We pulled the toy hauler with the 100 gal of water the 4 hour drive down as we knew we would be in Moab for 8 days. We ran through about 225-250 gal of water and dumped about 50 prior to the drive home.
Showers for 6 almost everyday burned up a lot of water. Gear Heads in Moab allowed us to fill jugs of filtered water for free to fill our tanks up from time to time.

26' Forrest Sierra Toy Hauler
26FBSP
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

I would definitely want to research before you plan to travel to your destination; which you're doing. I find that sometimes if its been dry for a while or a lot of rain there will be a greater chance that the water in not good for drinking. Which is bad especially if you planned on filling at your destination. I agree with the previous poster about filling with the water you're sure about (home) at least for your first trip. You're hauling a pretty big rig anyway...that much water won't make too much difference. As for not hauling full tanks due to the weight and straps holding the tanks... thats the first I've heard of that. Unless you were on some rough roads and bouncing down the road... which can happen on some secondary highways especially in climates with great temperature change...Good luck.

Happy Camper
Nova Scotia
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water