Old 05-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

to reserve or not

Love this Forum!! Great info and sharing...Thanks for that.

Just wondering how many of you make campground reservations. Seems as though many of the popular RV parks get full, but I want to maintain freedom to explore without having to hurry to the next reservation. We are going to Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Utah National parks this June/July from Atlanta and have made some reservations, but want to maintain some flexibility, too. Thoughts from you veteran campers?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

how big is your rig? that is going to be a big factor in your ability to find spaces

I know 2 years ago at Many Glacier in Glacier people started circling the campgrounds before 7 am looking for people who were packing up.

Yellowstone had just one week where we could make a reservation not at Fishing bridge because they calculate length as truck plus trailer.

You need reservations IMHO

Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Team

For short trips not far from my house, I make reservations when there's a system for it. When it's first-come-first-served, I go on Mondays or Tuesdays to get spots weekend tourists have vacated.

On long trips, I use the iPhone app RV Parks & Campgrounds by ParkAdvisor LLC. Sometime (generally between noon and 3 p.m.) I use this app to locate candidate parks near when I think I'll land for the night. I review details including costs, etc., and click "Call" to make an over the phone reservation (hands-free, or course) while I'm driving.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me I left the impression that I drive down the road while studying fine details on my iPhone. That is not true at all. If you folks knew my DW, you'd know I couldn't get away with that even if I tried. I was merely attempting to provide detailed answers to the questions asked. In my future posts, I will attempt to not only answer questions but to remove any ambiguities others may see in my posts. I admit it's hard to write for such a wide spectrum of readers. Sorry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

We try to Go "Spring or Fall" when kids are in school,that has changed now because so many are now "Home Schooled" and Families are on the Go all year! Youroo!!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
happy camper

Hi! We're making a similar trip. Really similar, in fact, because we're starting here in Gwinnett County, Atlanta suburbs.

We're camping with my husband's brothers, and we'll need 3 campsites, so we're very definitely making reservations first. But when it's just us, and we're driving cross-country from Point A to Point B, we don't reserve. We call ahead in the afternoon, for a place we'll stay that night.

Here at home, for short, local trips, we always reserve, so we're sure to have a spot for the weekend.

Have a great trip!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

We reserve all of our campgrounds in advance. We like full hook-up sites and when traveling we try to get pull thru sites. I do not like to tow our CC 34RL and find out their are not any sites at a campground. We do tend to stay at private parks and not state parks as their sites are too small for my liking. But we have found C.O.E. campgrounds that do fit our needs with large sites and full hook-ups, which we reserve in advance.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

For summer at the beach we have to make reservations over a year in advance. Locally if not a holiday it depends on the time of year. Fall locally are probably already booked.

Depends on the area, and the time of year. and the size of the camper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
For short trips not far from my house, I make reservations when there's a system for it. When it's first-come-first-served, I go on Mondays or Tuesdays to get spots weekend tourists have vacated.

On long trips, I use the iPhone app RV Parks & Campgrounds by ParkAdvisor LLC. Sometime (generally between noon and 3 p.m.) I use this app to locate candidate parks near when I think I'll land for the night. I review details including costs, etc., and click "Call" to make an over the phone reservation (hands-free, or course) while I'm driving.
So the call is hands free but the "reviewing the details including costs, etc." is not?
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

We kinda make plans at the last moment and we do make reservations. Don't want to be caught with out a place to stay.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
So the call is hands free but the "reviewing the details including costs, etc." is not?
DW reads the details aloud and clicks "Call". I do the talking. Got any hard questions?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote