Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
The learning curve wouldn't be much different from a 22' to a 28+'. Some folks start out with a 22' because they're intimidated, don't know what they want, etc. After the first season or so, they upgrade to a 28' thinking this is the last one. After a couple years, they start thinking of going farther and staying longer, so upgrade again to a 32'. Every time they upgrade, they loose a pocket full of money on the trade. It's usually cheaper and wiser to buy your third unit first.

That was me. 5 seasons camping and on our third unit. Started with a 24', then to a 26. Now I have a 31'. Not too much difference between 26 and 31. My only advice is take your time, don't worry about what others are thinking. Backing up any trailer will take some getting used to their distinct pivot points.

]
[SIGPIC]
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #12

swing them (wide)

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post
more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.
with a little driving time
all should be fine
when I used to train drivers of large rigs for the City
took them to the Charger stadium
nice large open space
practice some backing and tight turns
we must always remember
I have a long THING back there
and a must I believe is to
NEVER cut any corner tight
swing them (wide)
yes the so called old pro Mountainman
on a narrow road a few years back now
caught the side step on the motor home
on a large rock on the side of the road
today
I perfer in tight spots
to (stay close to the line to my left side)

Mountainman

Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #13

To me, cornering is the biggest thing. I actually find it easier to back a longer unit. We have a 34 foot (overall length) TT and it maneuvers pretty easily. Just watch for tail swing when pulling away from gas pumps, parked next to another vehicle, and those low posts that seem to come out of nowhere all around the campgrounds.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
To me, cornering is the biggest thing. I actually find it easier to back a longer unit. We have a 34 foot (overall length) TT and it maneuvers pretty easily. Just watch for tail swing when pulling away from gas pumps, parked next to another vehicle, and those low posts that seem to come out of nowhere all around the campgrounds.

Same with me for the backing up being easier with a longer trailer.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #15

X 3 to the backing up. I own a 21' pontoon & a 17' aluminum fishing boat and went from a tent to a 28' Rockwood TT. It's the easiest to back out of all of them because I can see the rear of the trailer backing into the site very quickly. Learning curve for backing was a breeze until you have to pull into a site after dark, then having a couple of lights(lantern & flashlight) on the edges of the site help alot. Don't forget the walkie-talkies. Cheap ones will work fine, plus save alot of yelling & jumping in/out of the truck. You can always reserve pull thru's until you get your confidence up for the back-in sites. Good Luck!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #16

Quote:
We are looking to buy our first TT and were wondering if a 28ft TT would be too much for a rookie? We have a ford expedition as the TV so that shouldn't be an issue, more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Brian
Brian, the 28 would be easier to backup than a shorter trailer. The shorter the trailer, the harder it is to backup.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdohbrew View Post
Brian, the 28 would be easier to backup than a shorter trailer. The shorter the trailer, the harder it is to backup.
That explains why I suck so much at backing up. Have made some improvement especially since I started removing the anti-sway bar first.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #18

With that tow vehicle, I'd recommend a really good hitch setup, like the hensley or propride. You are going to need the maximum sway control available, just look at the post about the Durango and the wind. Don't risk you family's safety with a bad combo.

On a side note, some more good advice here. I started out three years ago with a 23' Outback and a baby Tundra (06). It worked, but on our yearly two week trips, it just was just way to compact with 3-4 people in there. Long weekenders were fine. Two years in and we were shopping for something bigger. I had already upgraded the tow vehicle to an 08 Tundra, so the Windjammer was there for year three. Lots of room now for those longer trips. And weekends trips are even better now!!

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #19

Quote:
We are looking to buy our first TT and were wondering if a 28ft TT would be too much for a rookie? We have a ford expedition as the TV so that shouldn't be an issue, more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Brian
We did what you are thinking of doing, we both grew up on boats and were sick of Long Island Sound and Cape Cod(by boat). So we changed to a camper We have a Lincoln Navigator and a 28.5 Flagstaff, and it was a learning experience, we did take a course with a locate RV dealer, even though we did not purchase our camper with them (Private sale). They did go through our camper, did a gas leak check and installed our towing system. This was a great help as he went through the entire camper with us teaching how systems work and what to look for. He also took us out for a drive showing us how to work the brakes, backing up, ect. That was the best money we spent. We have not regretted this move and so enjoy our camper and all the great people we meet.
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
MI Camperz

Welll, we pulled a 24' Hi-Lo and it was easy speazy Janapaneasy! We pulled our 30' Cherokee only 30 miles in wind and I would never do it on a weekend basis...Whew! That was a doozy! We have it parked in a seasonal site. That's the pros and cons of big vs. little from our perspective.