Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for their input, its clear as mud now. I guess posting up all the critical info in the beginning would have made a difference. The Fam. consists of the DW and I plus 2 children 6 and 7 along with a Great Dane, so a larger TT would be what we would prefer but if there are too many dangers with the TV then we may need to look at something smaller. The finances just aren't there for a new vehicle and a new TT. As far as having any experience towing anything......minimal at best. Had a pop up and a pulled a 10 ft cargo trailer, thats about it though.

Again thanks for all the input.
getmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Site Team

knowing what the year, engine size, rear end ratio and if it has the factory tow package, will at least give us an idea of your tow capacity.

since you listed who'll be riding in the Expy, that will help ballpark how much you have to reduce the tow capacity by.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post
We are looking to buy our first TT and were wondering if a 28ft TT would be too much for a rookie? We have a ford expedition as the TV so that shouldn't be an issue, more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Brian

Along with knowing how your expy is equiped, the TT's weight proportions and total weight will play into a proper decision. Also, choosing a TT with "wide spaced" axles will help reduce (not eliminate) some sway issues that can crop up. www.primetimerv.com has several TT's with the "EZ Tow" axle setup which may be worth looking into considering your current TV and skill level.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #24

anything still up or hanging ??

Quote:

As far as having any experience towing anything......minimal at best. Had a pop up and a pulled a 10 ft cargo trailer, thats about it though.
forseen problems

thinking that I (we) have to keep up with traffic
sometimes I get going too fast
remembering
I'am pulling an extra long wide thing
as I check my mirrors often
while driving to and from the desert
on a very narrow winding road
I'am amazed how often
I get too close to the side of the road !!

get that THING over towards to middle

many accidents happen while backing
a back up buddy is a big plus
if I don't have one aboard
I may have to get out and look
serveral times

once many years ago with a camper
I pulled in under some trees
beautiful spot
until when leaving
tore of the vent on the roof
yes I forgot to do ALL of my checking

before taking to the road these days
I always stand back a good ways
so as to get a better look
up top and below

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #25

Expy and TT

Just to add for safety input; I have a 2012 Salem 26Tbud. The Expy was our TV that we started to pull with. A major lack of power and concern that the TT was at the top end of the gross weight envolope made me re-evaluate my need for the Expy pulling the TT. I found a good deal on an 2005 F-250 with a 6.0 diesel. All my safety concerns were cured with the F-250 as it was strong enough to reach highway speeds in a hurry and stable enough to resist the sway that the Expy had.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
forseen problems

thinking that I (we) have to keep up with traffic
sometimes I get going too fast
remembering
I'am pulling an extra long wide thing
as I check my mirrors often
while driving to and from the desert
on a very narrow winding road
I'am amazed how often
I get too close to the side of the road !!

get that THING over towards to middle

many accidents happen while backing
a back up buddy is a big plus
if I don't have one aboard
I may have to get out and look
serveral times

once many years ago with a camper
I pulled in under some trees
beautiful spot
until when leaving
tore of the vent on the roof
yes I forgot to do ALL of my checking

before taking to the road these days
I always stand back a good ways
so as to get a better look
up top and below

Mountainman
That's right.Always a good idea to stand back and get a good view of everything before taking off.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks everyone for their input, its clear as mud now. I guess posting up all the critical info in the beginning would have made a difference. The Fam. consists of the DW and I plus 2 children 6 and 7 along with a Great Dane, so a larger TT would be what we would prefer but if there are too many dangers with the TV then we may need to look at something smaller. The finances just aren't there for a new vehicle and a new TT. As far as having any experience towing anything......minimal at best. Had a pop up and a pulled a 10 ft cargo trailer, thats about it though.

Again thanks for all the input.
Good to hear your thinking about your family safety first. I wish I had read this forum ahead of time, before I bought the cart before the horse.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #28

I have never heard someone say, "I wish I bought a smaller trailer" so go whith what you like for your size of family, interests, longevity of stays, and distances you want to travel. Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
I have never heard someone say, "I wish I bought a smaller trailer" so go whith what you like for your size of family, interests, longevity of stays, and distances you want to travel. Enjoy!

I would agree and dissagree with this statment. If the OP had a TV that would safely tow a 28 foot TT then by all means get a 28 foot TT. I think what most posters on here are stating to safely pull a TT with their TV, the OP would need to dial down the size a little. Especially with DW and Kids in the TV.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #30

I went from a popup to a 33 footer and havent had any issues to speak of. Personally I would go for the one you will be happiest with for the longest and adapt. You can always practice backing and turning in empty lots. No one wants to realize two outings later that they scared themselves in to something that wont accommadate them comfortably after spending all that money....anyway that is how it has worked out for us. We were originally looking at 23 to 28 footers when we bought our 33.

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #31

Trailer Size

As several have pointed out, the most important consideration is being certain the size/weight of the TT is well within the limits of your TV. In my experiences, the TT dealer will discount the legitimate abilities of your TV, offering that it can pull just about anything on their lot. And, on their lot, that may be true! Obviously, that's not the real world. You are wise to consider your overall abilities, whether the TV, your personal trailering abilities, or size of unit.

Given a family of four and large 5th companion, unless you plan on camping a couple weekends a year, a larger unit is what most would prefer. I have a 29' (that's actually 30' -- 36' hitch to spare) and for wife, myself, and our black lab, it's a good size. Any smaller and we would not have been happy. But that's us! What's important is what works for your family.

Remember, in the end, what's important is your safety and the safety of all of those around you -- family and otherwise. Better to purchase a unit your are comfortable with now, and trade up in time, than to buy one so large it takes the fun out of the experience.

Wishing you great success!
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #32

Don't let people scare you about the 28' trailer behind an Expedition.Don't get a trailer that is near the tow capacity of the Expy.I would go for a trailer that has a max dry weight of 5500 LBS(with a 5.4L).The Expy has has a standard wheel base of 119" and the extended wheelbase model has a wheelbase of 131".The tow capacity is between 7000 and 9000 LBS depending on year and whether it has a tow package or not.The good thing with the Expy is that the rear axle is located fairly close to the rear bumper which gives you good stability for towing.Yes,the longer the wheelbase the more stable the tow vehicle.I use to tow a 24' trailer with a 1981 Blazer that had a wheelbase of 106" with no problems.If it's very windy -slow down to where you are more comfertable,pull over if nec to let faster vehicles pass.Also,if you get to a place and have problems backing into a site,the will be people that will either back the trailer in or work with you with instruction on bacing in the trailer.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #33

The shorter the trailer the harder it is to backup. I remember learning how to backup a jeep trailer when I was in the service it was hard to do. Just try backing up a garden tractor with one of those little short trailers. You have to learn to do it. My 28' TT was pretty easy. The big surprise was backing up a my new fifth wheel camper, different. But you learn.
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengb
I went from a popup to a 33 footer and havent had any issues to speak of. Personally I would go for the one you will be happiest with for the longest and adapt. You can always practice backing and turning in empty lots. No one wants to realize two outings later that they scared themselves in to something that wont accommadate them comfortably after spending all that money....anyway that is how it has worked out for us. We were originally looking at 23 to 28 footers when we bought our 33.
I currently have a 2008 fleetwood Avalon popup and I'm looking at moving up to a 35 ft travel trailer. Question about your TV, did you upgrade your TV to pull your TT? Also, was it a big transition to pull the TT from the popup?
bmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #35

I towed our pop-up with a Mitsubishi montero so yes I bought a Chevy Freeman silvered half Tonto pull the tt. I drive large trucks where I work so that may have helped in moving up to the tt. It really doesn't take long to get the feel of towing the larger and heavier tt tho...just go a little slower, watch and plan the turns a little more and have a good spotter when backing. Uphill on the highway is a little slower too. Just make sure the tt doesn't consume more than sixty to seventy percent of your Max towing capacity so you have room for contents and passengers. Good luck it'll be worth it!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #36

Sorry for above garbled text....it's the predictive text on my phone and I didnt proofread. That is a Chevy silverado crew cab half ton truck

Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #37

Also if you are going from a small single axle trailer to a long trailer with tandem axle,you will find it definitely will tow alot straighter,without all the wander of a single axle and back up straighter without wanting to swing sideways on you.It also won't bounce around as much behind you.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #38

Our first TT (last year) is a 32 footer. Went from a tent to this. Skipped the progression of the pop up, hybrid, etc. and went right to this. My husband and I have both towed our 16' fishing boat, but neither of us had any experience with a unit this big. He barely needed practice. As for myself, I haven't worked myself up to getting behind the wheel.....yet.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengb View Post
Sorry for above garbled text....it's the predictive text on my phone and I didnt proofread. That is a Chevy silverado crew cab half ton truck

Gotta love "techno logic"....... NO LOGIC !!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote