Old 12-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Too Big????

We are looking to buy our first TT and were wondering if a 28ft TT would be too much for a rookie? We have a ford expedition as the TV so that shouldn't be an issue, more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Brian

Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Hob

If you ever stay in your TT for over 3 weeks at a time, I would suggest, a 28ft is just about right. By the time you pack all of the little things you might need, you will find it is just about right. For instance; 7 pairs of socks, 7underpants, at least 3 pairs of jeans, 7 T shirts, a jacket, a rain suit, boots or shoes...more than one pair, this is for one person...multiply the list by however many people camping with you. (Do kids just wear one set of clothes a day?) Less than that and the DW will be spending all of her time washing clothes and won't enjoy the trip. Cooking utensils and all of her cooking spices. A small tool set for the TT. Food for a week for everyone. Towels for bathing and drying dishes. Bedding, entertainment for rainy days, and the list will grow as you camp more. We camp about roughly 8 months a year so a 28 ft TT will preclude you having to buy a new trailer in 2 years. This ramble is just our opinion.

Hob
Bill & Linda plus a not so bright brittany spaniel

Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

The learning curve wouldn't be much different from a 22' to a 28+'. Some folks start out with a 22' because they're intimidated, don't know what they want, etc. After the first season or so, they upgrade to a 28' thinking this is the last one. After a couple years, they start thinking of going farther and staying longer, so upgrade again to a 32'. Every time they upgrade, they loose a pocket full of money on the trade. It's usually cheaper and wiser to buy your third unit first.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #4

my first was a 28' 5th wheel. it wasn't hard to get useto. when u make a cornor, swing overly wide until u find where it makes its cut. the 28', for me, was easy and a perfect size.

abt 10 yrs ago, i upgraded to a 35'. that extra 7' made lots of difference in turning. i allow much more room for a turn only to find it is usually just enough. i'm still not quiet adjusted to it. oh, at the same time i changed the tow viehicle from an extended cab reg truck to a crew cab duelly. that is a lot of change (for me) in itself.

no matter what u get, allow abt twice what u need to stop. neither of my trailers would stop as well as an 18 wheeler.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
On The Road from CO

Our first unit was a 25' TT and it was a little small, so I think 28 would be good--and no matter what size it will take some getting used to! We learned about the cornering and pull-through parking pretty well--just had to really struggle with backing up!! We're both a little challenged there! Since we spend all summer in a campground a couple hours from home, we just brought home a new 31+' 5er yesterday! So we have a new learning curve too. From what I glean from the experienced folks, RVing always required some kind of learning curve!!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 28FT TT for your 1st one. I would Google backing videos to give you helpful tips if that's a concern.

However, would also be more concerned about the Expy pulling a 28 foot TT. I have a 28 ft TT and I was pulling it with a similar SUV (Dodge Druango/similar wheelbase to Expy) and the wheel base was too short for that size of a TT. I had all the power with the Hemi, and the right set up with the tranny cooler and WDH. I learned fast that the WB was too short, when I was driving home on Memorial Day weekend in a 40 mph wind and was getting tossed all over the road like a rag doll. I had my kids and wife with me in the SUV and was white knuckling it the whole way home. Luckily, I didn't owe anything on it and sold it and bought a longer wheelbased vehicle. The longer WB was night and day difference pulling the 28FT TT.

If getting rid of the Expy is not an option, I would look for a Hybrid TT or a 21/22 foot TT.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #7

I bought my first camper this summer, a 28bh tt. I have pulled trailers before when doing construction, but the camper is a different beast. Still, no problems, just take it slow for a bit and really watch them corners. My TV is a suburban, so maybe slightly longer wb unless your expy I'd the ext version? Either way, get a good wdh and enjoy summer camping!! I know we have!
Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post
We are looking to buy our first TT and were wondering if a 28ft TT would be too much for a rookie? We have a ford expedition as the TV so that shouldn't be an issue, more concerned for my skill level. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Brian
We first started with a 29 foot mallard.Had no issues.Just allow a wider swing when turning and the trailer will follow you.Some people get angry if you end up pulling it across the corner of their lawn or cutting them off at intersections.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Depends on your skills set & other factors. How long do you expect your outings to be? How large is your family? If you feel comfortable towing a 28 ft trailer then you should be ok. Setting up camp is the same regardless of the trailer size. The only difference might be backing into a snug campsite.

Due to lack of experience I was intimidated. If I had a husband my choice might had been different. Since I didn't forecast any major changes in the near future I selected my trailer for my current type of usage. However, if I were 20 years younger my view on this might be different. Bigger is great but not always better as in my case. Changes are that you will have no problem with handling a 28 ft trailer.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeouttahere View Post

Thanks Brian
have you towed other things, like boats, popups, utility trailers?
and without knowing the exact brand/model, saying it's no problem for your Expy can't be for sure. it also depends a lot on where you live and plan to camp.
most Expy owners don't tow that long of a trailer. they tend to stay in the 23'-25' range, commonly, because that's a better combo.

without knowing which 28' TT you're looking at, i couldn't recommend towing it with an Expy. and if the model has 28 in its model number, you can bet that it's actually longer than 28'. nearly all RV's model numbers have nothing to do with its actual length.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote