Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Total Newbs Wolf Pup 16FQ

We are going to be full-time RVing sometime later this year. We've always wanted to be more "nomadic" so now we've decided to take the plunge. It's just the two of us and our (4) small dogs.

We have no real RV experience. Well, I lived in one full time for awhile as a teen but I didn't do any of the planning/work involved.

We are looking at the Wolf Pup 16FQ. We wanted a small trailer and love the looks/features of it. We are going to look at it next weekend.

We also need to vehicle to tow it with.....we have a truck but it's old (and no hitch). So, we'll be trying to figure out the logistics of towing.

We have books coming shortly so we can start figuring more stuff out.

Any advice/suggestions?
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

I think you need to rethink the trailer size, if you are really planning on full timing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Welcome from Ontario. I agree with bikendan, for full timing you might want to look at a few more feet. On a cool rainy day, the inside could get cramped. If you go that route your options of pulling the wolf pup are endless.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

Funny that you both say that. We were actually looking to get something smaller (17ft) but went a little bigger after someone else advised us to go larger. We want it small so we don't need a huge truck to tow it. Also, we are currently only using one bedroom and the bathroom in our house....so we don't need a lot of space.

We are thinking about buying a Chevy Colorado to tow it....but aren't sure if that would work. Still trying to figure out exactly what we need.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #5

IMHO, I wouldn't think of full timing in anything less than a 25 footer, just for the storage space.
Also, I would look at a minimum of a 1/2 ton.
DON"T believe ANY dealer that tells you "oh ya, you can tow that with an xxx". Do the numbers for the max trailer weight and what your truck can handle,then add about 10% otherwise you won't be happy.
Just my .02
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
IMHO, I wouldn't think of full timing in anything less than a 25 footer, just for the storage space.
Also, I would look at a minimum of a 1/2 ton.
DON"T believe ANY dealer that tells you "oh ya, you can tow that with an xxx". Do the numbers for the max trailer weight and what your truck can handle,then add about 10% otherwise you won't be happy.
Just my .02
This is the part I find difficult considering that I have never towed a single thing in my life.

So, the max weight of the trailer is 3,9XX say 4,000 and then 10% would be another 400 so 4,400 total.

According to the Chevy site, the Colorado has a towing capacity of 7,000 (the larger engine choice) so I think it should be okay?

I have no idea how to calculate the other numbers that people write- payload, axle ratio, tongue weight- I need to learn about those items.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #7

Just bought a brand new avenger 18 toy hauler. The wife and I love it. With the bike my gear and water etc we are about or alittle over the max tow rating on my 2001 ford sport trac 4wd with the 4.0 6cylinder in it. With that being said it tows it like a champ. Yes would a bigger truck be "easier" of coarse but I don't have a payment and the only thing I use my truck for is towing and hauling. You have to do what your comfortable with. I just turn the over drive off and cruise at 65 which is about 2500-3000 Rpms and I get about 10-11 mpg.
Jbowen33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #8

Rednose83-You may want to see if there is a Full Timer on this site that is in your neck of the woods that would be willing to meet you and your better half (lunch maybe?) for real insight into the lifestyle. I would love to FT someday, but would want to talk to someone firsthand to get a glimpse into what we would be getting into. The nomad life does sound intriguing. Let us know how it works out! I'm rooting for you.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
Rednose83-You may want to see if there is a Full Timer on this site that is in your neck of the woods that would be willing to meet you and your better half (lunch maybe?) for real insight into the lifestyle. I would love to FT someday, but would want to talk to someone firsthand to get a glimpse into what we would be getting into. The nomad life does sound intriguing. Let us know how it works out! I'm rooting for you.

That's not a bad idea. We are in Florida so there's plenty of RVer's. I also FT as a teen so I do have an idea of the day-to-day concerns and space constraints. I just am unaware of the towing stuff which I've never dealt with.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

So, we accidentally bought an rv on Saturday. I say accidentally because we meant to buy in January but we ended up finding something we loved and took the plunge.

We take delivery on Friday (well if financing goes through). The dealership has a campground right on site so they move it over there and ask that you go through a 2-3 hour pre-delivery teaching and also that you stay there in the rv for 2-3 days.

They will store it for 3 months free.

We went with the Salem Cruise Lite 261. It's 29 feet so larger than we expected. We've been looking at planning a few trips through the end of the year.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

We bought a 2013 221RBXL Salem Cruise Lite . Our tow vehicle is a 2007 Ford F150 5.4 8 cyl crew cab. More than enough to pull the RV and plenty of room in the back seat for a full size dog. Our first big mistake was not turning off the overdrive on our first long trip to Dover. Needed a tranny rebuild. Since then we've put over 14,000 miles on trips to North Carolina, to Oklahoma, to Albuquerque, and to Kansas City. Have had a problem with tires and am replacing them with better grade. Good luck.
flamingo139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

We're official! We take delivery on Friday!

We also have an F-150 V8. We have four small dogs now- although it will probably be three in a week or so as we are trying to make "the decision" regarding one of our sweet girls.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose83 View Post
We're official! We take delivery on Friday!

We also have an F-150 V8. We have four small dogs now- although it will probably be three in a week or so as we are trying to make "the decision" regarding one of our sweet girls.
So sorry to hear about your sweet girl. Hard thing to do. Been there too many times. Peace.
flamingo139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo139 View Post
So sorry to hear about your sweet girl. Hard thing to do. Been there too many times. Peace.
Thank you. We are back and forth about whether or not it's time.