Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #21

Thanks for the advice. I welcome anything at all, please don't be offended if I don't take your suggestion, I will ponder anything at all and make my decisions on a personal basis.
Luckily, storage won't be as much of an issue as most families. We have minimal clothing, in fact my wife has less clothes than me.... My daughter of course has more, but that's why she gets such a large area to herself.
I guess my plans are still a bit vague, but as far as the outdoor kitchen... It will only house a small amount of tools. Mainly an electric drill & charger, and a 3 drawer toolbox, loaded weighs 47lbs... The purpose of stripping the kitchen out is more to allow a large instant water heater & vent.
I figure the weight difference & change of balance point back there will be minimal when all is said & done.
I have specifically chose to try and stay with 30 amp service. My needs are pretty minimal, and I don't want to ever have to recover that much electricity if I'm boondocking. We will rarely use our AC, most likely choosing to be outside anyway... And will most likely avoid extreme climates.
Yes, you read it correctly. Only the one child. Her room will be completely rebuilt to accommodate all of her life/schooling needs.

Also, the solar and generator setups are carried by my truck... Trust me, there will be no weight issues there. I may not have an easy to work setup, but I don't need 30a service unless I'm lazy or the weather is VERY bad (wind helps) & I'm out of propane, gas, and not near a river.
SCREWBEINGTIEDDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #22

After reading all the posts and replies I believe you'll enjoy full timing regardless of the unit you buy. It's rare to find someone with so much experience that is still open to others views. My very best to you and your family.
P.S. The Mediterranean climate in central Ca is my fav after several trips across the country.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Welcome SCREWBEINGTIEDDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post
I must be one of those guys too, I"m in my 40s and still in.
Same here, I am in my late 50s, my son is an Eagle Scout (10 years ago) and I am still in. But where else am I going to get people to backpack with (who will carry my stuff?).

Full timing sounds great, we purchased used 3 times now without any regrets (and saved a lot of $$). Tent(new) -> Pop Up -> Hybrid - Lexington 255DS Motorhome. We have used the extra $$ to travel more (and better).

-Bill
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #24

Do a lot more research. A lot more.

There is a decision to be made on every item. .

Water heaters. A high percentage of owners dislike their continuous water heaters.

Residential water heaters, cheapest, are gaining popularity. However, are not so good for long trips without plugging in every night.

Cheap tires means they can last hours.

Manufacturers use plastic bushings on spring shackles on cheap units.

The unit you are looking at can only be towed by a few half ton trucks. Plus you will need a fancy hitch.

You want standard 30" microwave or a trailer smaller one.

30 amps means 30 amps available. 50 amp means 100 amps available. Houses with 60 amp services should not have a/s. Need to upgrade the service to 100 amps. We often stay in state parks with 30 amp only service.

Without two ac units you will not like midwest weather much. 85 degrees at night with 100% humidity is not good sleeping weather.

lots of research.

Our first choice fiver was about $15,000 less than the one we bought. Ours had $20-25,000 worth of better stuff.

The wholesaler place you talked about is the one near us I think. We bought from the other one, Jeff Couch RV nation. Hamilton Ohio. We live near by.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #25

Better stuff....

I've done my research, and have a lot to go...

I'm very happy with the water heater I have at home, and will be installing the same in my trailer. I'm not buying a cheap model... Run on propane & buck board... Easy & reliable. It may use slightly more propane... But my wife has awesome hair!

I've already budgeted for goodyear endurance tires...

Shackles, I'll deal with as needed but I'm not ignoring the issue. I do need to research more here.

I have a dually f350 QC with a 7.3l diesel.

I'll buy using the Husky 32218 hitch

I'll be using a tekonsha 90195 brake controller

I don't use microwaves... Ever...

Again... I don't even need 30a...You overestimate my power consumption.

I very rarely use A/C.... We like rivers, lakes... U know, nature.

As for buying a "better" trailer, or one that has "better" stuff... I guess that's in the eye of the purchaser... But the simple fact is, they are all crappy lil boxes that will be dragged down the road... It's going to fail & fall apart... The "better" stuff is still crap... The only way to get a decent trailer is to rework it and maintain it yourself... Nicer wood will still rot, fancier stereo systems will still fail due to the environment... The bigger & more complicated you get, the more likely you are to have bigger & more complicated issues.

I am not your average user... I have no other way to explain it, other than this... It sounds rude, but I promise, it's not ..

I'm not an entitled American... I'm an old school American... I think my business is mine, and yours is yours... I don't need up to the minute updates on anyone but my wife and daughter... I don't need 800 channels for tv... I don't buy anything I can't pay for with cash (yes I own my busted up house)... I don't need to feel that I'm more important than anyone else... I believe that if you don't know how something REALLY works, don't mess with it! Also, don't own anything you can't maintain with your skills & tools. Always learn how something broke, before you fix it and make it better. And I don't need anyone to tell me it's gunna be alright... I'll make it alright!

I'm 42 years old... But a much older set of values. I fix what is broken & live within my means... Which means that I know the difference between want & need.
SCREWBEINGTIEDDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote