Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #21
rvb

thanks for all the welcomes!
-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #22

We too started out with the family tent camping. I remember dad buying a huge 2 room canvas tent from Zayres Dept. Store back in the early 70's. What I recall mostly was HOW HEAVY that tent was. Must have weighed 100lbs. Was real canvas. UGH. But lasted forever. Took a person on each corner to tug and pull, and others to set up the poles. Thank goodness there was 9 of us. Lot of great memories.

And yes, it was inevitable... at times it seems like it rained more than not back then with that ole tent. But we still had a great time.

Fast forward to date..... we got back into camping about 10 years ago and have enjoyed 2 popups, a Hybrid and now our latest TT. I agree, too, that life changes do dictate how we like to enjoy our comfort. I did like the openness of the HTT. So we shall see if this indeed our supposed last TT.

Also, Welcome from Southern Illinois.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
We too started out with the family tent camping. I remember dad buying a huge 2 room canvas tent from Zayres Dept. Store back in the early 70's. What I recall mostly was HOW HEAVY that tent was. Must have weighed 100lbs. Was real canvas. UGH. But lasted forever. Took a person on each corner to tug and pull, and others to set up the poles. Thank goodness there was 9 of us. Lot of great memories.

And yes, it was inevitable... at times it seems like it rained more than not back then with that ole tent. But we still had a great time.

Fast forward to date..... we got back into camping about 10 years ago and have enjoyed 2 popups, a Hybrid and now our latest TT. I agree, too, that life changes do dictate how we like to enjoy our comfort. I did like the openness of the HTT. So we shall see if this indeed our supposed last TT.

Also, Welcome from Southern Illinois.

Yes my dads canvas tent was very heavy. That canvas did do well at keeping water out. Until someone played a prank and touched inside with finger and drew a line, which mad the water leak in in that spot. Funny joke until DAD caught us.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
we looked at one very similar at the show, maybe a different brand label, but what we didn't like was the narrower width resulted in a smaller dinette for fitting 4 people around, as well as no end access to get into the bed (or able to use that floor space for storage/shoes/etc). width wasn't really an issue for towing or storing, so I didn't see a benefit going narrower, personally.

something like the 201bh is what I see us upgrading to in a few years. I like that floor plan. right now we are somewhat price driven and don't want a loan and that model is another 30-50%.

Lived in Severn MD for several years...

-rvb
Good points for sure. I guess because our boys are a little older now, we just sit around the fire pit for meals and generally just use the privy and beds to sleep in. I'm sure my wife will begin to hate crawling over me to get out of bed. We'll see in due course!

"Choppy" Lemire
2016 Clipper 17BH
2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x Crew Cab
Choppy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppy72 View Post
Good points for sure. I guess because our boys are a little older now, we just sit around the fire pit for meals and generally just use the privy and beds to sleep in. I'm sure my wife will begin to hate crawling over me to get out of bed. We'll see in due course!
Maybe this TT won't be the rain magnet our pop-up was, but we were forced inside enough last yr the wife wanted to make sure we could all fit around the table for a meal or games....

-rvb
Old 04-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #26
rvb

We brought it home today.
Everything we wanted and more... we didn't order the DVD/Stereo or TV Antenna, but they came included anyway, so bonus!
-rvb

Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #27
rvb

oh, and it appears it was us, not our old camper, that is the rain magnet, as it's raining/snowing today...

-rvb
Old 04-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
oh, and it appears it was us, not our old camper, that is the rain magnet, as it's raining/snowing today...

-rvb

Congrats on your new camper. The best thing on your new one it won't matter now with rain. 🎉
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Hello,

On Friday we are picking up our first travel trailer, a small FR Wildwood 195BH.

About a year ago, we bought a 1999 Coleman Pop-Up. I grew up camping in a pop-up, but my wife never camped. I wanted our kids to experience camping and get away from the TV & video games, and luckily my wife enjoyed it also.

Unfortunately, we decided the pop-up was too much hassle, especially since we had horrible luck with weather. Every trip was a monsoon and that meant after every trip we had to set it back up so the canvas could dry out and sometimes we had to setup camp in the rain. Plus the inside was a bit cramped to spend that much time in when it rained...

So here we are upgrading already!

I'm afraid I'll have some regret, not getting to sleep in an open 'tent.' I always enjoyed that about the pop-up when I was a kid. But last year we only got to have the tent open one night!

I'm active on some other forums for other hobbies, so look forward to getting involved here.

Thanks,
-rvb

Your experience sounds identical to ours, as we recently upgraded from a Starcraft popup to a Wolf Pup TT. The main difference is that it took us 12 years in the popup to finally make the decision.
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up