Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Used 2013 Rockwood 2109S

Later today, my wife and I will be trying to make a decision on a used 2013 2109S Rockwood Mini Lite. The decision is whether to buy it or not. We have never owned a travel trailer but do own an older PUP and have managed to get it livable a couple of times in the last few years, only to have it get worse when we weren't camping.

But, that's beside the point.

I discovered the forum yesterday evening. I have read countless posts on the forum about the 2109S. In all honesty, just reading some of these posts at face value might scare a lot of people from buying one of these (e.g.; potential failing fresh water support bracket; possible failing bolts on the slide motor, etc.). But the one constant theme is that people still love their TT. Suprisingly!

If we do buy this unit, part of the decision will be based on the fact that it has a strong user community in this forum, and frankly... sometimes that is worth more than a good warranty (of which, there is NONE!). Of course, to fix problems, you must be willing and have some talent at doing so... and I'm not sure how willing I am, but I can fix just about anything, if I can figure out how.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. Might be the shortest join in history, though. We are from Alabama and there is not a Rockwood dealer until you get 60 miles away. The local dealer just happens to have a used one.

Joe
january14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

One for sure thing here is you will always have opinions/advise. We have been full timing for 5+ years in our first 5r. I could go on about the issues I've tackled with the forums help but I would rather talk about the mods. Good advise on modification here also. Pictures help a lot when either talking repairs or mods. A feller could gain a lot of knowledge here. In the end we all need to follow our hearts in the buying of our first "bigger" RV. If their is a "problem" with the unit and your patient someone will guide you. I believe in greasing the bearings and using a dehumidifier (water in a RV is a no no). Hope the RV of your choice will give you many campfire laughter.... mine does..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Welcome,

Don't let those post scare you off. I think the majority of people have few issues but anytime you take something and bounce it down the road at 60 MPH thinks are gonna work loose. For most people if you are careful and keep an eye on things so that you can fix them early, no real major issues.

Good luck with your decision. We also have a great social group Forest River Owners Group (FROG) with many gatherings. Check it out.

P.S. we started with a flagstaff microlite (same line as the Rockwood minilite) and loved it enough that we upgraded to a new Rockwood ultralite.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #4

I've got a 2104S, which is basically the same trailer. A year and a half in and I've had very few problems with it. As you've heard, check out the slide motor mounts carefully (luckily, the 2104S has a different slide and motor setup). I don't know if the 2013 models were getting the LED awning lights yet, but they're easy to replace with decent one's if you have to. Other than those two issues, there's really nothing that I've come across that's a problem with them. Of course, all the usual used RV rules apply....climb on top and check ALL the seals and those around every opening on the outside, open every cabinet and check for water damage, and check every system on the trailer....if you don't see it work, it doesn't.

Like others have said, don't let a few posts scare you away from it...it's a good trailer. The trick to avoiding problems is to catch them before they get out of hand and that applies to all trailers. Look it over real good every few months and normally, if something's broken, things are fixed for $20 at Lowe's and an hour of work.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forums!

It could be worth the cost to have an independent professional RV inspection to set your mine at peace or otherwise. It can also be easy to get caught up in the moment with this being the only Rockwood Mini Lite in your area too. Try to make the right choice for the right reason but only you can decide what the right choice/reasons are.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

Well, the dealership sold it to someone else today. But we're still looking. Maybe one day...
january14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 210, 2109s, rockwood