Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

V-Cross 29VBH??? Pros, Cons?

If all goes right we should be picking up our new 2010 29VBH. We have about a week to change our minds or give the final go ahead. Does anyone own a V-Cross or have any questions or concerns. My only concern is they always say if the deal is to good to be true it probably is. We are getting this TT for almost 10K below MSRP. Should we be worried or go with the flow and be happy we are getting such a great deal? Any feadback would be greatly appreciated.
Medicspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

You are probably doing OK on the deal. The dealer may be hungry for sales or this particular unit may have been on the lot a while and he needs to move it. Check a few of the on-line retailers (RV Direct is one, RV Wholesalers is another) to see if they have anything similar and what their prices are. Both of these should be a good benchmark.

Do a google search on "RV" and start picking from the many dealers that get listed to help in your research.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #3

It's rare that the dealer actually gets MSRP anymore, as we all know the MSRP is ridiculously inflated, but the dealer's like it cause it gives them room to drop their price, they still make a lot, and make the customer feel like they are getting a steal.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #4

We have a V-Cross 27VFK and one reason we find you can get a good deal on these units is the high tongue weight. Most people see the higher weight of a Vee front tongue and go to a conventional trailer. Of course, that is my personal opinion and not based on an actual survey. We love the extra space in the Vee design and, aside from bad tires, have had no problems with the unit.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

v-cross

We also have a 27vfk and are very very happy with it. Like Willy said be sure to check your tires for weather checking. Ours were also bad but there was no problem getting them replaced no questions asked or fees charged. Our only other real problem was with the kitchen sink not draining but it turned out to be a slipped gasket where the drain enters the tank and it was also resolved no problem by our dealer. Good luck and happy camping. We hope you like yours as much as we like ours. Old Guys
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks guys I have searched all over and everything I have found is about 5-7K higher than what we are paying. My only concern was the quality of the V-cross brand as we have never even seen a forest river camper up close. WillyB thanks for the info, we always love to hear anything from an actual owner of the same brand. We know absolutely nothing about the brand. We should be taking delivery 2nd week of July if everything goes according to plan. If anyone has any pros and cons of the V-cross feel free to comment. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #7

Also is the Equalizer hitch compatable with the V design or do we need to look into something else? W currently have the E-2 hitch and judging from the pictures it doesnt look like you could hook up the sway bars to the frame the way it is designed.?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

Hi Medicspanky. I have owned my V lite 30 foot dual slide outs for almost 3 years now, and have not had any problems. I personally love the V front design, as it gives you more interior space. Our V area is a bedroom walk in closet. The Equalizer hitch will work perfectly fine with the V setup, as well. Mine is made by Flagstaff, while the V cross is a Rockwood. BOTH are Forest River campers. (Different stickers, and upholstery changes, that's about it).
Your price is lower because you have a bunkhouse model, which is cheaper for the manufacturer to produce, therefore passing the savings down to you. You will love the V cross, I'll bet, just as we love the V lite. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

Medicspanky, we use a Reese Pro Series SC hitch. The bars are square and sit in holders mounted to the tongue frame. The sway control is provided because the bed the bars sit on is 'brake shoe' materiel. The whole deal has higher ground clearance than a standard chain type WD hitch. Weight distribution adjustment is provided by the ball angle, rather than chain tension. So far I love it. Very stable and easy to use.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
So far I love it. Very stable and easy to use.
x2. My expectations were high when I got this same hitch, and it did not disappoint. They say the new "cam" models are better, if so, they must be amazing.

Personally, I think this model looks easier to install and hook up.

Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #11

W.D. Hitch

We also use an equalizer hitch with trunion bars rather than chains and we are very happy with it's performance. We did have to relocate a bit of wiring setup for the emergency trailer breakaway switch so we could get proper positioning of the bar on the left front side. The dealer had set it up initially but when we told them we had slipped a bar on a tight turn they readjusted the placement of the holding bracket and it works great now. The only other hitch we even considered was the new Husky hitch with shock type dampers on it and it was just too expensive. We had ours installed and adjusted by our dealer just so we didn't screw it up. No they didn't charge us for the service. Old Guys
Old 09-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #12

v-cross name

this will sound dumb, but what does the V-Cross name stand for? Is it a hybrid or cross with some other design?
shan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan man View Post
this will sound dumb, but what does the V-Cross name stand for? Is it a hybrid or cross with some other design?

Actually a good question. I can only speculate that the front is shaped like a "V" and goes across the front. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #14

It's sister camper on thew Flagstaff line is the V lite, which is virtually the same camper,with differing cosmetic changes to each. Mine is an 08 that I've had 3 years now, and still love it! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #15

Talking what's v-cross stand for

I got the V part, but not the 'cross.' Is it a hybrid cross of something else? Like a house (lol)?
shan man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #16

We also use an equalizer (4 point) hitch and haven't had any problems after the dealer reinstalled it after doing it wrong initally. He had the brackets too far back until he repositioned the breakaway break module at my request. This then enabled him to move the brackets further forward. Old Guys