Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Rockwood 2604WS

We finally have an RV - So. Cal

Hi there,
Although we've rented a couple of motor homes, we've never owned an RV let alone used a travel trailer (29 yrs married). A few weeks ago, we took delivery of a 2014 Rockwood 2604WS. We don't have a free weekend 'til May, but she's setup just out front in our driveway (we live in the middle of a lemon orchard ).

We're super anxious to go camping and planning our first outting to somewhere local. We still need to get some essentials, but looking for the best place to order / purchase from. We bought a 30 / 15amp pigtail from a local RV store and later found the same thing online for 1/2 the price with free shipping... argh

We've got a lot to learn, but the biggest thing that bugs me is all the non-standard explanations around trailer and tow vehicle weights and calculations. According to the Manuf. sticker, the max cargo weight can be 822lb. By adding a 2nd battery, a full tank of water (250lbs) for dry camping, plus all the other cargo and utils let's say I have 550lbs of total cargo. Does that mean that the total weight of people staying in the camper can be no more than 322lbs?

We're not new to forums since we are pretty heavy in the car scene, but still learning the RV acronyms and culture. But, glad we found this forum and have already learned a great deal We're looking forward to meeting new RV friends and learning all this new stuff
Glenn_03Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your new Rockwood TT! Until you are able to get out and camp why not just do what many members do - driveway camp. Your scenery has to been pretty nice with all those lemon tree around.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #3

Hello and a warm welcome from Arkansas.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to FRF, from a former Ventura County resident(20 years).
although we left for Napa Valley, we still would rather still be back in V.C.

miss all my surf spots and Sycamore Canyon!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Rockwood 2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your new Rockwood TT! Until you are able to get out and camp why not just do what many members do - driveway camp. Your scenery has to been pretty nice with all those lemon tree around.
I'm trying to find a night we can do that. We had a BBQ recently using the ext gas grill and entertained our parents in the trailer for a bit. But, that's about it. We need to find a couple free weekends in May and June and hit it!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
Rockwood 2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome to FRF, from a former Ventura County resident(20 years).
although we left for Napa Valley, we still would rather still be back in V.C.

miss all my surf spots and Sycamore Canyon!
Thanks for the welcome - VC is just right. Near the ocean, just outside of LA yet far enough to still have farmland in the view. We want to move eventually, but it's gonna be a sad day when we do... How's the Napa Valley this time of the year?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_03Cobra View Post
We've got a lot to learn, but the biggest thing that bugs me is all the non-standard explanations around trailer and tow vehicle weights and calculations. According to the Manuf. sticker, the max cargo weight can be 822lb. By adding a 2nd battery, a full tank of water (250lbs) for dry camping, plus all the other cargo and utils let's say I have 550lbs of total cargo. Does that mean that the total weight of people staying in the camper can be no more than 322lbs?
Welcome! Firstly, I'd love to see pictures of your lemon orchards. Sounds neat.

The weights only matter as the camper is going down the road. You can load up 10 people clown-car style while it is parked and generally not cause any issues. It's the loaded weights while it's being towed that you have to be careful of.

A few of us are proponents of going to a scale and getting weighed. You want to take 3 weights:
1) Truck + camper with WDH engaged
2) Truck + camper without WDH engaged
3) Truck only

Once you have those, you can start to calculate your numbers. If you hit a CAT scale and get separate weights, you can use a calculator such as this to crunch the numbers:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Or, just post your numbers here and we'll overwhelm you with responses!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Rockwood 2604WS

Thanks for the tips, ependydad - I plan to get it to the scales and I'll bring the #s back.

I'm thinking that I should try to get thru to FR and ask the below questions since the dealer didn't seem to know: "If at a dry camp and my TT is loaded with water and all the other cargo, leaving me with 350lbs of the 822lb cargo capacity (according to the manuf sticker) does that mean the total weight of the people that enter the TT can't exceed the 350lbs?

How do I extend the cargo capacity? Jacks under the frame? (The jacks are added payload weight when towing).
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Rockwood 2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Welcome! Firstly, I'd love to see pictures of your lemon orchards. Sounds neat.

The weights only matter as the camper is going down the road. You can load up 10 people clown-car style while it is parked and generally not cause any issues. It's the loaded weights while it's being towed that you have to be careful of.
I guess I was in a hurry, when I read this the first time It's unclear to me why the load capacity # is not defined as a pulling or moving weight. The axles show 3,000lbs capacity each. So, if it's ok to have 10 people in the trailer when sitting still (150x10 = 1,500lbs) I don't get why we get fussy about being a couple hundred lbs over. I've got a lot to learn
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Rockwood 2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hello and a warm welcome from Arkansas.
Thanks Iwannacamp!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the forums from Idaho.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
According to the Manuf. sticker, the max cargo weight can be 822lb. By adding a 2nd battery, a full tank of water (250lbs) for dry camping, plus all the other cargo and utils let's say I have 550lbs of total cargo. Does that mean that the total weight of people staying in the camper can be no more than 322lbs?
sounds like the yellow sticker states you have 822lbs. for cargo. since the brochure "fictional" cargo capacity is only 1025lbs., that sounds about right, since the weights of "options" added about 400lbs.
so, that does leave only 822lbs., which does NOT include the weight of the 1st battery, since that is added by the dealer, not the factory. so you have 822lbs. for one or two batteries, water and cargo.
so, 822 minus 70lbs. for two batteries and 250lbs. for water leaves a little over 500lbs. for cargo.
that's one of the problems with an ultralight trailer, low CCC numbers.

the weight of people staying in it, isn't really a factor.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Welcome and congrats. I agree with ependydad. The cargo weight refers to cargo being transported. Once you are parked and set up to camp, its not cargo anymore. Its just occupants and supplies. Invite your friends over and show it off.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Rockwood 2604WS

Thanks guys... that helps a lot. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like more of a liability / safety factor for towing versus how much weight the frame structure can handle at any given time. Cool... next party I'll invite all my car buddies and will fill it up LOL
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
Rockwood 2604WS

dcheatwood... I see you have airlift products. I'm considering going that same route. I've read several threads on this forum and it looks as though the favorites are Firestone and Airlift. Any thoughts you have that can help my decision?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
dcheatwood... I see you have airlift products. I'm considering going that same route. I've read several threads on this forum and it looks as though the favorites are Firestone and Airlift. Any thoughts you have that can help my decision?
I have gotten a lot of use with the airbags on my tundra. Airlift is Goodyear. I hear good things about Firestone also. I just replaced my 4 year old bags last week thinking they were the source of my left side leak. (Lifetime warranty) As it turns out, the problem is the manifold on the wireless air system. Seems the compressor has developed a moisture problem and cause corrosion in the manifold, interfering with cable functions. But the bags are a must have. Very pleased with them.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Rockwood 2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I have gotten a lot of use with the airbags on my tundra. Airlift is Goodyear. I hear good things about Firestone also. I just replaced my 4 year old bags last week thinking they were the source of my left side leak. (Lifetime warranty) As it turns out, the problem is the manifold on the wireless air system. Seems the compressor has developed a moisture problem and cause corrosion in the manifold, interfering with cable functions. But the bags are a must have. Very pleased with them.

Did you find that also replacing your front struts to something stiffer made a difference? Or are you running the stock struts?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Rockwood 2604WS

We're heading out on our first short trip to a local lake this afternoon. Can't wait!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
Site Team

Glenn, I'm still on original equip all around except just got new tires last months.