Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
We just purchased our first travel trailer!

We are new to the forum and new to owning our first travel trailer. We are excited but kind of scared at the same time. We went to look at a trailer that was listed on Craigslist. It was at a car dealership so I'm thinking they took it as a trade in. Well, needless to say, we fell in love with it and bought it at a price I could not turn down. It's a 2011 Micro Lite 23LB and we got the price down to $9,200.
We owned a pop-up for the past 6 years and loved it but as we are getting older, cranking it up and setting everything up is just getting too difficult. We had our pop-up for sale since September and just sold 5 days ago. I never knew we would find a travel trailer so quickly The difficult thing is that we don't know the first thing about using a travel trailer. We don't know how anything works. I'm not sure if the trailer even has all the manuals that we need to figure out how to work everything. Since it was at a car dealer, they had it in a large garage but no way to hook up anything, even the electricity was not on. We got them down almost $2000 on the price but they expected us to take it without seeing if everything works. I said no deal. I want to make sure everything works before I take it so we made a deal that the sale is contingent on everything working like it should or the deal is off. They are going to get everything going like the fridge and the electricity on Monday so we are going to go check things out and give everything a closer look. What kind of things should we be looking for?

zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
You will probably get lots of replies! I suggest taking someone with you who is very familiar with RV's if possible. There is a lot to look at. The most difficult problem to see and fix is often water leaks causing rot/mold. By the time they are obvious the damage has been done.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
I agree with with KenHwy61. Make sure someone with experience is with you. Rot will be a big problem. Check for Leaks, AC working, heater if there is one, all lights, Black tank, fresh water and gray water tanks aren't leaking. Dont drink water out of the fresh water. Don't know how well it was maintained. Does the shower area have any signs of mold around the linoleum or wall paper. What shape is the rubber roof if that is what you have? Was this camper kept primary out in the elements? Or was it kept indoor storage?
Good luck! We are now Travel trailer owners as well. Went from tent to popup, then Hybrid and now 34ft trailer. I love it!
Aviator Wright Flyer 1912
F-250 2014
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Google mobile RV repairs in your area most of them will do a pre purchase inspection for anywhere from $100-$400 depending on area and how much time it takes to inspect as well as how thoroughly you want it checked.
My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her -Or something like that?...."My advice has no basis ,more reliable them my own meandering experience" Baz Luhrmann
2011 Sierra 355QBQ 1986 F350
Mojojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Site Team
Welcome to the forum from the top side land of Lincoln
I purchased many used campers over the years. One thing I found was a lot of was soft spots in the floor and ceiling on used units. (water damage)
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Ask to contact the previous owners. We did that when buying a used car years ago. The folks said it was a lemon. They should be honest with you, since they have already sold it to the car dealer. They may have the manuals too. They also might be willing to go over how things work on that unit. Good luck! Due diligence, then enjoy it!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
Welcome to the forum from Dawsonville, GA!
Glen & Lee
Dawsonville, GA
2013 V-Cross Platinum 325VRL
2014 Ford F250 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Insert "PDI" into the search bar to get ideas on what to look for during walk throughs.

Good luck,
Don and Michele
3 Adult Children - 2 Granddaughters
Present campsite - future homesite  4
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
x2 on talking to the previous owners. We just bought ours used too at a new car dealers (in August). It was on their lot for a few months and I kept interest in it and inspected it head to toe. I spoke with the previous owner and I spoke with the original dealer who sold the RV. They even sent someone with me to inspect it for about the 4th time at no charge only because they are the local in town dealer for the Pocono mountains here in PA and I buy other things from them.

I agree you have to look over EVERYTHING and it's best to have someone experienced come along. However, I would speak to the previous owner or the deal would be off in my opinion.

I got the it was only used twice from the car salesman, another one said it wasn't even used. Two of them said it was their customer that traded it However, in the end I got the story from the previous owner on condition etc.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
2012 Keystone Sprinter
Still sticking around for the good people and advice.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the beginning of learning a lot!

2012 Lacrosse, 308RES.
2013 Ford F150, XLT, 4x4, Supercrew, Eco-Boost.
Lee, Dawn and "CoCo", the dog!
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer