Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #1

Question We're heading out for our first long journey--HELP

Hi,
My husband, Joe and I are going on our first really long trip this year. We did go to Texas during January & February of 2007 and we did a couple of other short trips....so we aren't brand new at this. We are going from MO to...NE,WY,UT,NV,CA,OR,WA,ID,MT,WY,SD,WI,IO and back to MO. We will be gone for about 4 months.

We have a 32' Wildwood 5th-wheel. And we pull with a Dodge Ram Deisel. My husband could tell you exactly what we have, I don't know that much about it...sorry

I am looking for any suggestion, tips, etc. that the FRF group can give me. Things like campgrounds you loved, unexpected wonderful things you saw, neat places you ate at, tips for stretching the money....etc.

Wow, I'm asking a lot but I know there's a lot of knowledge here and I want to pick your brains

Pat from MO

Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Yellowstone NP
Paradise Valley
Teton NP
Glacier NP
Black Hills
WI Dells

You are going to a lot of cool states. Lots to do:

~Looking for adventure? River Rafting in WY or MT.
~Looking for wildlife & scenery? Yellowstone/Teton/Glacier area.
~How about a trip around Lake Superior? The North Shore (MN) is spectacular!
~Speaking of Great Lakes, how about Door County, WI? Lighthouses, and quaint villages abound.
~Need some history? How about Custer Battlefield and the Lewis & Clark Expedition areas? Way cool!
~Don't forget the coolest Mall ever built, Mall of America! OMG...you HAVE to see it...even if you're not shoppers!

You can stretch dollars during travel by overnighting in between destinations at a truckstop, or Wal-mart. Many times they are free for the asking. State Forest Campgrounds. State Parks, BLM, and such are much cheaper than privately owned campgrounds as well.

You are very lucky to be able to spend 4 months on the road! That would be really cool! Enjoy!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Yellowstone NP
Paradise Valley
Teton NP
Glacier NP
Black Hills
WI Dells

You are going to a lot of cool states. Lots to do:

~Looking for adventure? River Rafting in WY or MT.
~Looking for wildlife & scenery? Yellowstone/Teton/Glacier area.
~How about a trip around Lake Superior? The North Shore (MN) is spectacular!
~Speaking of Great Lakes, how about Door County, WI? Lighthouses, and quaint villages abound.
~Need some history? How about Custer Battlefield and the Lewis & Clark Expedition areas? Way cool!
~Don't forget the coolest Mall ever built, Mall of America! OMG...you HAVE to see it...even if you're not shoppers!

You can stretch dollars during travel by overnighting in between destinations at a truckstop, or Wal-mart. Many times they are free for the asking. State Forest Campgrounds. State Parks, BLM, and such are much cheaper than privately owned campgrounds as well.

You are very lucky to be able to spend 4 months on the road! That would be really cool! Enjoy!
Thanks for the information...I'm saving all the suggestions and ask my DH to help with picking out what we'll do

Pat from MO

What a country!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

I put a picture on the forum (in two places)....but I don't see it on my posts?? What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5

Picture problem

I think I figured out my picture problem....

Do the Forest River Owner ever hold any rallies?

Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Plan on visiting the Oregon Coast? If so let me know as we spend each month of August here and I have not missed too many years without visiting the Oregon Coast. I can fill you in on many places to stay and visit.

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCamper View Post
Plan on visiting the Oregon Coast? If so let me know as we spend each month of August here and I have not missed too many years without visiting the Oregon Coast. I can fill you in on many places to stay and visit.
We plan to be at Tillamook, OR about July 11. We are going to Crater Lake before heading to the coast.

I'd love any info you can give me :-)

I noticed you are from BC. We are going up to Port Moody area for a few days to visit new friends we made in the Bahamas.

Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #8

Pat & Joe,

We pass thru Tillamook during our travels along the coast. Be sure to visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory for a tour, cheese tasting samples and great ice cream cones.

Our usual places to stay along the coast starting on the south Oregon Coast working north...

Arizona Beach RV Park located half way between Gold Beach & Port Orford.
facilities are not the greatest but does have water and electricity and the best view while camping from your trailer along the coast. Picture click here.

Bullards Beach State Park
near Bandon. On the south side of Bandon you will find a beach along Bandon's Beach Loop Drive which I consider the best beach along the Oregon Coast. The beach is wide and you can walk for miles. Horse back beach excursions are available here for a beautiful sunset ride. Visit Bandon's Old Town for great shops and seafood restaurants. While staying in Bullards Beach State Park we will take a 1/2 drive over to Sunset Bay State Park to have a picnic while watching the sea lions just off shore. Staying on the same road as Sunset Bay State Park you drive all the way till the road ends. Picture click here.

Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park near Florence offers nearby Dune Buggy Excursions. A couple of lakes are located within this park one of which is mostly surrounded by the dunes and offers canoes ect for rental. Take a walk up the dunes to watch the sun set in the ocean just beyond the dunes. Florence has its Old Town with shops and dining. Just north of Florence you will find the Sea Lion caves attraction. Picture of the dunes click here.

Beverly Beach State Park just north of Newport. We love this park for its close beach access and the town of Newport is full of activities and site to see. Lighthouses, the Newport Aquarium and yes more shops. Take a 15 min drive north to Depot Bay top see whales which are commonly sited from shore.

Fort Stevens State Park located on the northern tip of the Oregon Coast at the mouth of the Columbia River. The park is large. This is my personal favorite. Within the park are miles and miles of paved wide trails taking you to a lake or the ocean and the military museum. Fishing guides are available nearby. Climb to the top of Astoria's Column for a terrific view of the surrounding area. Close by you will find Fort Clatsop and be sure to visit the towns of Seaside and Canon Beach for great shops, restaurants etc.

For more information on Oregon State Parks click here.
To reserve a campsite at Oregon State Parks click here.

Hope this helps. (Port Moody is 1/2hr away from where we live.)

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #9

We are in Eastern Washington. Don't miss Coeur d' Alene, lake in N. Idaho and plan to buy all your supplies in tax free MT or OR. You have to go up the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier Park, unhitch and then go up it. Then have a beer at the Great Northern Bar in Whitefish, MT or Moose's in Kalispel. Like oregoncamper said, You CANNOT miss the Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach and Long Beach, on your way to Seattle and the Space Needle. I could go on and on. You let us know. We can give you tons on advice on WA, ID and MT. No sweat! So jealous... have fun!
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #10

If you get a chance go to silver falls state park and take the 7 mile hike around that falls, it is a very easy hike pretty flat, it is around Salem, OR I believe, I lived in Albany, OR for a few years and it was just a short drive. It is an easier hike that 7 miles than the mile and 3/4 down to crater lake. Also sisters, OR is a cool place. Also I am very jealous

On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote