Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Camper Less Camping

My wife is unwilling & has no desire to drive our combo which works well for me as I always enjoy doing the driving

Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
My wife is unwilling & has no desire to drive our combo which works well for me as I always enjoy doing the driving
I enjoy driving to, but then I miss beer thirsty and she doesn't

Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #23

I prefer to drive but wife has had a number of years on the acreage pulling all sorts of trailers... She can actually pull the 36' camper better than she can the 12' single place jet ski...

After taking two stabs at backing our camper into a site she hounded me as I do my damndest to not be "one of those guys" that take for ever to back in... Needless to say she says she can do better so I took her up on it... the next trip out I pulled up to the site and jumped out... She climbed in and did surprisingly well... Granted she had me telling her which way to turn the wheel and how far... but that's besides the point...

To me it is a HUGE benefit to have another body with you that can pull... what happens if for some reason you are unable to drive? Nice to have the second option, and I'd much rather her have some experience doing it in familiar territory than be 1000 miles from home her NEED to drive and learn fast!

I do feel like girl sitting the passenger seat of my truck though! Only if I'm stone cold sober... if I'm drunk I have no qualms with sitting there!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #24

I can't even get my wife to drive the truck period.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #25

My DW won't drive with the TT hooked up. She has pulled a little cargo trailer we have before but managed to jack knife it into the bumper of the old van so I think she is done with that.

My mom who grew up farming and hauling fuel pulls their race car trailer everywhere. She usually has to drive home after dad has raced all night.

I hope as my kids get old enough to drive I have the patience to let them pull the TT around to learn about it. That way they can continue to enjoy the camping life.
2 Vizsla's Mizuno & Zeno, 1 Weimaraner Kayda

2013 Nights Camped 7
vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla owner View Post
My DW won't drive with the TT hooked up. She has pulled a little cargo trailer we have before but managed to jack knife it into the bumper of the old van so I think she is done with that.

My mom who grew up farming and hauling fuel pulls their race car trailer everywhere. She usually has to drive home after dad has raced all night.

I hope as my kids get old enough to drive I have the patience to let them pull the TT around to learn about it. That way they can continue to enjoy the camping life.
I've been learning all my youngin with the four wheeler and small trailer.
My youngest daughter "16" has completely grasped the concept!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Same here. It's a team thing where she plans & navigates while I get to drive & tend to the sewer.
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #28

Wife doesn't yet but that will be changing soon. We want to go to the Black Hills next year and I want a backup driver. (After my stoke I find I tire quicker when driving). My only question is where is the best place for her to start. In town (small roads and slow speeds), highway driving (gig roads and fast speeds) or back road (between the two. If I ask her she will say neither but she really wants to do it. She can already hook up on her own.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #29

I don't let my husband drive! And he's never backed in the HTT, he would scare me backing in the PUP.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
Site Team

As a practical matter both should be able to hitch up, tow and park. A few years ago we were camping with another couple and he did all the driving. During our camping trip, he broke his ankle rather badly and after we hauled him to the hospital and he was a surgical repaired, there was the problem of how to get their camper home - over 800 miles.

He was on pain meds and she was a nervous mess. We put him in the back seat of our truck and my husband took him and our trailer home - a two day trip. I went with her and over those two days she learned to hitch, tow, dump, and park. We spent two days on the road and she did well.

She thanked me over and over for showing her the ropes and then giving her space and time to learn. Some things she had to do several times... backing into a camping space that was at a right angle to the loop road took a while but she figured it out. She also told me that her husband was always breathing down her neck when she had tried in the past and it bothered her, she didn't want to appear to be incompetent in front of him. He apparently had forgotten that he had to learn once as well.....

In my household I tow as often as my husband - and often alone. There are some things I'd rather NOT do, like go to the dump station, but I do them if I must. Another important factor is the physical strength needed to hitch up. The WD hitch we have on the truck is heavy and while I can lift it, it's challenging. We have different hitch setups on our vehicles now, and I've moved to an Anderson to cut down on weight.

Take home lesson: Make sure your partner can hitch and tow - you never know when you may need an assist.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote