Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Winter finally ended - we pick up our Salem 282RK tomorrow!

Greetings All, this looks like a great place for lots of good RV information. We are new to Trailer camping (have done a lot of tent camping over the years, but not anymore) and new to this forum.

Many cities around here hit 100 degrees yesterday (in the low 80's today) and we had a snowstorm just 12 days ago! Weather changed from Winter to a few days of Spring and now Summer!

We will pick up our new 2013 Salem Hemisphere 282RK Travel Trailer tomorrow morning. Any last minute words of advice to a Brand New NOVICE RV'er? (Travel Trailer Camping)?

We ordered this trailer after the Minneapolis RV Show in Feb, we can hardly wait to get it!!

I'm sure the dealer will try to push an extended Service Plan on us. I would think I have a few months to decide if I need to purchase a plan to cover possible breakdowns after the Mfg Warranties run out. I don't think I need to get one tomorrow.

Looking forward to our maiden camping trip over Memorial Weekend, less than two weeks away.

Very excited to get this trailer and for all the information to be learned from all of you! Thanks in Advance!

RasOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Congrats and enjoy!
Do at least one night "driveway camping" so you can go through all before you head out.
Have fun!

John, Lilly & the kids.
2013 Surveyor Select SV 305
2011 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Congratulations on the new RV! Welcome to the great American past time of exploring this wonderful land of ours.

I would not worry about an extended warranty on a TT. Its is always a great debate on motor homes where there might be alot more things to go wrong like hrdraulic jacks and 50amp electrical service, electric awnings and so on. You should be alrigh with the mfg. warranty which I would guess is for at least one year. You are right that the dealer will hit you hard pushing his plan on you. Be prepared to be told all the bad, bad things that can happen to that brand new beautiful rig you just signed over an arm and a leg to get. If you feel compelled that you would feel more secure with an extended warranty you can get better deals from other resources than the dealer. Ask the question on this and other forums and you'll get more suggestions of good warranty companies than you knew existed.

Enjoy and best of luck on the new rig! Happy Camping.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote