Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Wishing I was a newbie

Joining the forum to hopefully get some help becoming a new Forrest River owner. Long time Pop up camper looking to upgrade...
This all started with a local dealer ad for a 2007 Shamrock 21RS. Great price, too good as a matter of fact, sold before I could get up to check it out. I was able to find a couple of 23' RS models, and almost pulled the trigger on one until I got the "real" weight of the 23'. Too close to the tow capacity of my Honda Ridgeline Now the wife has seen the 23RS and loves the layout and features so the hunt for a good 21RS is on.

I'm looking for any real world weights on the 21RS, and any suggestions on how to go about finding another to buy. Seems they either didn't make may or those who have them don't sell.

Any help greatly appreciated.

StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team
Welcome to the forums! It's sad that the unit you were interested in sold before you had a change to check it out. Waiting can be hard to do but I got a feeling that in time you will find another unit that is just right for you.

Renting an RV is another way to start RVing while searching for your own RV.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Patience grasshopper. By saying that you are a long time (popup) camper, then you have seen a lot of other campers in places that you have gone. And you know that there is a good time to have in Camping. Campers are a lot like cars/trucks, houses..... girlfriends ... They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and have all kinds of different features and layouts. 'The One' for you is out there. Research, Research, research. Know what you want before you go and visit a Dealer. Talk to two or three dealers and get pricing and more info and then sleep on it for a week. If that feeling that your wife has about wanting one does not go away....

1) Get a large tow vehicle.
2) Get what she wants.... making sure it is the one you want and making her think that it was her idea to get it.
3) have many happy years of camping
4) (really #1) Safety first and Always.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
we almost bought a Ridgeline for a tow vehicle. even though we loved it, it was soon evident that it was a bad choice for towing a travel trailer.

the 5000lbs. tow capacity is really for boats, not for pulling the flat front of a travel trailer through the air.
add that Honda is the only truck manufacturer that recommends NOT to use a WDH on their truck.
this goes against every other truck manufacturers's recommendations for towing.
this tells me that Honda doesn't really consider the Ridgeline as a true tow vehicle.
you'll have to decide whether or not to use a WDH. check out the Ridgeline Owners forum, there's a lot of them using WDH's to tow with.

the 21RS model was available from 2006-2012. up to 2010, the front had bunks but i think that in 2011, they pulled out the bunks and put a front kitchen in their place, till they dropped it from their line after the 2012 model year.

i don't think they sold a lot of the 21RS models, at least no where near as many as they did their hybrid models. so there may not be many out there to find for sale.

here's a 2009 brochure:

shows the fictional "dry" weight of 3559lbs. when it left the factory, it usually will weigh about 400lbs. over the brochure "dry" weight.
so that means it'll weigh around 4000lbs. BEFORE you add the battery, propane, water and cargo.

but your biggest problem is the 21RS's hitch weight.
with a base/dry hitch weight of 594lbs., it'll easily be over the Ridgeline's max hitch capacity when loaded.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote