Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
2002 reflection not charging shore power

I have a 2000 35' Reflection Motor Home Coach battery's will only charge from generator will not charge from shore power. Could this be a generator transfer switch problem if so where is it located and what does it look like.

racampbell51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

I also have a 2000 Reflection.

My generator transfer relays are in a black box on the forward bulkhead in the compartment where you store the shore power cable. If you open the box you should find two DPDT relays and a small circuit board. The relays should be deenergized when on shore power and energized when on generator power. The small circuit board probably has the time delay circuit that delays energizing the relays until the generator stabilizes. The outside relay switches the ground circuit and the inside relay switches the two 120 volt hot circuits.

My converter (120 VAC to 13.8 VDC) is plugged into an AC socket on the back bulkhead of the compartment. You could check with an AC Volt Meter to see if the converter is getting voltage on shore power.

Your problem may not be the generator transfer switch. The Battery Control Center - Diesel also influences charging your batteries. It is the black box on the back bulkhead of the same compartment towards the aft of the RV.

Before you get excited about that, you need to know when you have 120 VAC to the converter.

I assume that the batteries are charging normally from the alternator. (?)

Frank_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
That's funny, I had the same problem last spring. It indeed was my power transfer box. There's a little LED on the board that, according to the manual, should indicate it's operation. The frustrating thing about mine was that it magically fixed itself.

In the mean time. What I did while mine was broken was I took the power cord from the charging unit (in the compartment with the shore cable) and plugged it in to a standard 120V extension cord. I plugged that 120V cord into the 120V power along with the 50AMP on the post at the campground. So when I was hooking up my electrical I just had to hook up 2 cables instead of one. Not really a big deal for me.

2000 Forest River Reflections 327s DP
Toad = 2009 VW Tiguan.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 30-somethings wishing they were retired.
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote