Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
N7FN

Basement Battery Door Gas Strut

I need to know how the gas strut, attached to the basement battery compartment door, is mounted.
When I bought my coach, the strut was missing. The attachment bracket had been torn out of the door. I replaced the gas prop bracket on the door and installed a new gas prop, now the door will not close all of the way because the body of the gas prop interferes with the metal shelf that holds the starter batteries. I can't figure out how this ever worked.

I noticed that the following requests for information were not answered. I have the following information:
Cruise control fuse: Left lower console, under the cruise control switch. To access, remove the pouch.
Replacement outside compartment latches:

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/Index.aspx

I have had to re-core two of the basement doors because of water damage. It wasn't a difficult job but it took two days to complete each one. If anyone is interested, I can provide details. To prevent the core from rotting, be sure that the two slots at the bottom of the door are clear. It is the only way for water to exit the inside of the door. The doors are not sealed.

Frank
Frank_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

You will have to move the cylinder side anchor farther away from the door hinge. Measure between the anchors on the strut with the strut collapsed. Measure from the hinge to the door anchor and mark that distance on the door frame down from the hinge. Add at least 1/8"-1/4" to the length of the collapsed strut and measure down from the mark on the door frame that distance and that will be where the bottom anchor should go.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
N7FN

OldCoot
Thank you for your advise. The gas strut is installed correctly, the problem is that when the door is closed the strut is pinched against the shelf that holds the start batteries above the house batteries. I need someone with a 2000 Reflection 327 to let me know what the configuration of the strut is holding up the battery compartment door. Perhaps originally there was no strut for the battery compartment door and someone tried to install one later.

Frank
Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_PDX View Post
OldCoot
Thank you for your advise. The gas strut is installed correctly, the problem is that when the door is closed the strut is pinched against the shelf that holds the start batteries above the house batteries. I need someone with a 2000 Reflection 327 to let me know what the configuration of the strut is holding up the battery compartment door. Perhaps originally there was no strut for the battery compartment door and someone tried to install one later.

Frank
Anchors have different distances from the mounting surface also. I misread your post to say when closed it was down on the cyl, not the cyl against something. My mistake. Sorry.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

I will check my 2000 327 Reflection tomorrow and get back to you. Will try and get photo as well.
msham87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

I took a picture of the battery locker, the gas strutt and the 2 connect bracket. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3755040861.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	35657
Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by msham87 View Post
I took a picture of the battery locker, the gas strutt and the 2 connect bracket. Hope this helps.
I would look at 2 options on a fix. 1. Re-position the ball socket on the bottom bracket about 1/4" closer to the door frame if possible. Might have to move the hole down to miss the existing hole.
2. Notch/bend the angle bracket on the shelf enough to get the clearance needed.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

The picture is from my reflection 327. It works and does not interfere with the upper shelf. Frank-does yours look anything like this?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
N7FN

msham87,
My battery compartment looks exactly like yours. I can't figure out why my strut interferes with the top shelf and yours doesn't.
When your battery compartment door is open, does the door extend straight out like the doors under the slide or does it raise up more than half way like the one next to it? I'm thinking that I bought the wrong strut, possibly to long. Could you measure the length of your strut from end to end when open?
Thanks,
Frank
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_PDX View Post
msham87,
My battery compartment looks exactly like yours. I can't figure out why my strut interferes with the top shelf and yours doesn't.
When your battery compartment door is open, does the door extend straight out like the doors under the slide or does it raise up more than half way like the one next to it? I'm thinking that I bought the wrong strut, possibly to long. Could you measure the length of your strut from end to end when open?
Thanks,
Frank
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Motor home is offsite right now but will have it back next week. Will measure and get back to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
dr ron

I think you may have the wrong strut. is it a Stabiluss GL-20-80?
dr ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #12

The strutt I have is a spring lift gas strutt sl-36-50. It also has the numbers m5147kq 0230n 158/99. The strutt does just touch the upper battery tray when closed but not enough to prevent closure.
Hope this helps.