Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
dr ron

battery banks and charging

On a 2001 Reflection

Which battery bank does the Charger/inverter charge when on shore power?

Which batteries does the alternator charge?

Which battery bank controls the LP detector switch?

Which battery bank starts the LP generator?

It's all very confusing because everyone has a different answer.
Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks
dr ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

There is only one battery (12 volt) bus (bank) if your batteries (2 each) are connected together (typical installation practice) and therefore the 12 bus is powered by the converter and it also charges your batteries when connected to shore power and the batteries may also be charged by the engine driven alternator when driving your MH. All 12 volt items either come from the battery bus via fuses or are fused directly from one of the batteries (electric steps, electric awning, etc.). Your MH could be wired in any of several configurations but the previous, I believe, are typical. Your generator is started via the 12 volt (battery) buss. Remember, that buss may be powered by the converter or the engine alternator or the batteries. In some instances the generator may have to be powered (started) by the batteries. It's an easy check to do. This may or may not help.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
dr ron

I have 2 sets of batteries Chassis and House
Sure would like to see a schematic but they don't exist.
On another thread here someone said that the shore power does not charge the chassis batteries.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr ron View Post
I have 2 sets of batteries Chassis and House
Sure would like to see a schematic but they don't exist.
Makes one wonder why, no!

Quote:
On another thread here someone said that the shore power does not charge the chassis batteries.

In most cases this is true, you can however change this real easy.

My guess is that dr ron's does not.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

I personally know of no motorhome where the chassis batteries are charged via shore power. I know my "house" batteries are charged via the engine alternator though. I am however limited to my experiences with the units I have owned and also friends units. I am not familiar with your MH and actually, from what I have learned anything is possible. I believe all your questions can be answered if you are familiar with how to use a multimeter (volt, ohm meter).
Old 09-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

It has come to my attention that indeed the shore supplied power to the converter will also charge the chassis battery in, at least, the newer FR Georgetown MH's. I stand corrected. That does not mean that your MH can accomplish this. There must be someone out there that is familiar with your MH. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
dr ron

Well, this is my theory

Which battery bank does the Charger/inverter charge when on shore power? HOUSE

Which batteries does the alternator charge? HOUSE and CHASSIS

Which battery bank controls the LP detector switch? HOUSE

Which battery bank starts the LP generator? HOUSE

Anybody hazard to comply?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The alternator could charge up both the chassis and the home batteries by way of a spliter on the output line out of the alternator. Once that alternator power is sent to the batteries it doesn't return to help keep each other charged up. Then the house batteries needs to be charged up by shore power or generator.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
dr ron

Check this out 5th thread down
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies-29519.html
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

As I said in the other forum discussion about battery charging, with the BIRD and the battery isolator, both my chassis and house batteries are charged through the converter by shore power. The system senses which set of batteries are low and directs a charge through the converter to the weakest set.

My engine alternator directs power through the BIRD and isolator to either the chassis or house batteries as well. So, regardless if I am driving or if I am plugged into shore power, I am getting a charge to both sets of batteries as required. The only difference is whether it comes from the converter (with shore power) or from the alternator through the BIRD and isolator bypassing the converter.

You are right about what set of batteries your generator and propane detector use-the house batteries.

It's has been a big hassle with me over the years but I have an excellent MH mechanic and he has done a lot of work in validating this and walking me through it.

Good luck.
msham87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #11

Battery Control Center

Here's a schematic of the Georgetown Battery Control Center that was posted to this forum several months ago. It may be of some help, but it may not be 100% correct for your year and model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Georgetown-Battery Connect Center.pdf (318.6 KB, 69 views)
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
dr ron

I had the rig into Camping World on Wednesday and the service manager told me that only the house batteries charge on shore power but both house and chassis charge on alternator. It is a confusing subject for sure.
Thanks for your input,
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #13

That's the way my 2000 MH functioned. Had to use a trickle charger for the engine battery. My 2012 MH has the ability to charge all batteries from shore power connection. Progress, I guess.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
dr ron

Thanks happy motoring

Tags
battery, charging