Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Check the reverse polarity fuses in your converter. There are two; usually large orange (40 amp) blade types.

I attached a trouble shooting guide for the WFCO 8900 - if you have a different one it should help you get started anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO 8900 Troubleshooting guide.pdf (4.69 MB, 49 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #22

So...here's an update on the house batteries charging problem. On this Discovery 39s it appears that the chasis or engine batteries are being charged by the inverter and not the house batteries. I confirmed that after a couple of weeks (house batteries were fully charged when parked) connected to shore power the house batteries are now dead. However when checking the status panels the chasis battery meter indicates they are being charged but the house batteries are not. The output of the inverter is connected directly to the house batteries + and - posts. The inverter is on. The meters indicate the chasis batteries are being charged instead of the house batteries even though the house batteries are driectly connected to the inverter. How is this possible??? Has anyone see this before?

Frustrated!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69 View Post
So...here's an update on the house batteries charging problem. On this Discovery 39s it appears that the chasis or engine batteries are being charged by the inverter and not the house batteries. I confirmed that after a couple of weeks (house batteries were fully charged when parked) connected to shore power the house batteries are now dead. However when checking the status panels the chasis battery meter indicates they are being charged but the house batteries are not. The output of the inverter is connected directly to the house batteries + and - posts. The inverter is on. The meters indicate the chasis batteries are being charged instead of the house batteries even though the house batteries are driectly connected to the inverter. How is this possible??? Has anyone see this before?

Frustrated!
Time to take it to a preofessional who is able to test and check the complete system.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Yes. It has happened many times and there are threads here with the fix.

Here is some help finding the issue. Search on battery control centers.

here is one: battery control center - sdc-107a
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_Control_Schematic.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	22784  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center Information -1.pdf (1.34 MB, 63 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #25

Unfortunately the unit has been to the "professionals" twice, once they tested everything and said the batteries were bad so replaced the 4 house bats, didn't take long before they died so took it back and they replaced the emergency start soleniod! Both trips totalled over $2,000 and problem still exists!

Thanks for the input Lou! I'm going to concentrate on battey breaker box as the fleetwood schematics call it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

There are several fuses in the system and each has two connections that can get corroded and stop the flow of charging current.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69
Unfortunately the unit has been to the "professionals" twice, once they tested everything and said the batteries were bad so replaced the 4 house bats, didn't take long before they died so took it back and they replaced the emergency start soleniod! Both trips totalled over $2,000 and problem still exists!

Thanks for the input Lou! I'm going to concentrate on battey breaker box as the fleetwood schematics call it.
Seems like a wiring error, looking at schematics the coach battery should receive power before th chassis when on gen or shore power. IE if the coach isn' getting it the chassis can't get it! All the power controls design I've seen. Thi proplem goes back aways. Time to start at square one. There are two wire diagrams forwarded to you recently. They can help.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #28

I have the fleetwood wiring schematic, attached, if you look at them you'll note (page 1) that the inverter/charger is directly connected to the house batteries. Both the house and chasis/engine batteries are connected to the "battery breaker switch" (view A) in series with the isolator/emergency start solenoid. I have checked and rechecked the wiring and all is as the schematic shows. Baffled I am, so says Yoda

</SPAN>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-03-11_030420_Chassis_Electrical_03_fleetwood.pdf (693.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #29

Not going to touch that post with a ten foot keyboard cable!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69
I have the fleetwood wiring schematic, attached, if you look at them you'll note (page 1) that the inverter/charger is directly connected to the house batteries. Both the house and chasis/engine batteries are connected to the "battery breaker switch" (view A) in series with the isolator/emergency start solenoid. I have checked and rechecked the wiring and all is as the schematic shows. Baffled I am, so says Yoda

</SPAN>
Say it aint so, how do you disconnect from the batteries on or off SP?? Haven't digested the 10 page drawing yet, but can you isolate?. FR can take a lesson in drawing presentation

Tags
battery