Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Weather during this time period is a Crap Shoot! This will effect C/G being Open? Very Cold could help you find the Weak Spot in your Plumbing system! Good Luck! And like you posted I dont think you will be Disappointed to visit your Son who is in the USCG! Youroo!!
Youroo Do you think that C/G that say they are open will close? Hopefully, there are no "weak spots" in our plumbing You are right I could never be disappointed if we get to go I am just afraid that we will make all these plans and since we really don't know what we are doing, then we would not get there.
A smart man learns from every one and becomes wise."
vminchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

If they say they are open they are, but call and make sure. I recently made plans through their online reservation link to a campground that was "open" according to their web page. 2 Weeks later got a call saying they closed the two days prior.. I let them know their web site said they were open year round. Their response? "Oh,well. It's wrong."

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
A few simple rules driving in winter in the "true" N.E. USA. Pick your times, by that I mean if a snow storm is classified by the weather service as an advisory, snow covered roads may not materialize. If the storm is elevated to a warning in the area you will be, or are driving into, that means snow is eminent. So, in that case you need to stay put till it clears. I'll assume your not climbing steep grades, where the road class is anything less than most improved on your trip. Remember, we all still go to school, work, ski, etc. so you southern softies will get a chance to see a true NH winter wonderland.

Seriously, I would call the perspective campgrounds you plan on staying at, and talk to a body, knowledgeable if possible, to make sure they will be open. All public campgrounds would be closed in winter in the north, so you must mean private sites. Just sayin'
Thanks for the weather lingo, I know that will help.

Not sure about road grades, last time we took this trip was in a car. Do you know if each state has a "511"?
Old 09-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
You should get familiar with your water system to see how long and what it takes to winterize if weather conditions should change from semi-temps to freezing for several days.
Please explain, I am not sure what "winterizing" is or if I will need to do that if I have an artic pack.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Winterizing is getting all the water out of your lines, heater, faucets, shower heads and toilet to keep the freezing water from bursting them.

May want to disconnect your fresh hose at night as well so it does not freeze. Any lines NOT in a well heated area will most likely freeze. The arctic pack is maybe just heated tanks??

EDIT: They will freeze if it is bellow freezing... Not just because they are left outside...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We have tank heaters. Important is not to be miser and actually use the furnace, this heats the underbelly and storage areas. If you use electric heaters and no air flow you are looking for trouble with frozen pipes.
Are tank heaters and an Artic pack the same thing? Thanks for the information about the furnace. That will help a lot!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Lots of good advice. But I think the best question to ask yourselves is who in their right mind goes North in the Winter?
I only will if I can make sure a Northeastern is not on the way or just arrived, and only to see my kid.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #28

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
You're a braver man than I am Gunga Dinn!
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vminchew View Post
I only will if I can make sure a Northeastern is not on the way or just arrived, and only to see my kid.
Just kidding - seeing your Son is worth all the trouble.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #30

The weather and road conditions are unpredictable at Christmas up-north. Most of us winterize our rv and tuck them away or go south. Last year I was slow going north and dragged mine in 12 inches of slush in 4wd to storage just ahead of storm . It is very different to tow on ice and snow and slush.
I just wouldn't do it unless winter turns out to be very different this year. Only family at Christmas would drive me to consider it. so good luck, watch weather. Make sure vehicle has great tires, brakes, battery. Consider winterizing water and sewer system if it is normal winter and you are staying long enough to freeze, you can always summarize as you travel south again. Have a good Christmas,
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by updhaul View Post
Most of us winterize our rv and tuck them away or go south.
In what month do you winterize?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #32

I just ordered a heated drinking water hose for this Octobers trip. That should take care of outside. We are just going to run the tank heat and furnace as the forcast is only calling for -2 and snow at night.
Several years ago we did a snowmobile race in February and -35, we winterized all the lines and tanks, used bottled water for everything and just dumped several gallons of plumbing antifreeze in the holding tank then kept the use of them to a minimum. Had no issue other than staying warm. Ran the furnace and the motor home engine and had to finally fire up a couple electric heaters after we finally got the generator to fire.
As for roads just drive carefully and leave lots of extra time to sit out traffic jambs or closures. Take sand or cat litter and some ice melt if it helps you feel safer and in a pinch windshield washer fluid poured on the tires will actually help get you going on ice.
Be safe and have fun.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vminchew View Post
We are planning our first long trip for the week after Christmas. We are headed from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Seabrook, New Hampshire, we want to go see our son who is serving in the USCG. We would like to know if we are setting ourselves up for disappointment? What can we expect from the Interstates? We lived in Alaska for four winters, but it was a dry snow and they kept the roads clear. Should we get snow chains? Do they still make them? We will be going threw Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, New York and New Hampshire.

Thank you all for any and all input.
I've been camping in the winter in north Texas, and my water hose froze solid.
Just got back from South Dakota, the water was like ice water coming out of the faucet in the RV park. My water heater couldn't overcome the cold water, and my hot water shower lasted about 4 minutes. I called my selling dealer and the Tech. suggested I run the water heater on propane and electricity. Doing that, I had enough hot water to take a quick shower.
Good luck with the cold.

John and Maggie
John and Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #34

vminchew. I wait as long as I can, but that is usually the end of October to start of November when hard freezes and snow make decision for me. I really hate draining black and grey tanks in the cold
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter