Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

12+ constant hookup?

Hey folks, new to the forum and brand new to a 2012 Forest River Salem travel trailer. My first trailer. I am a car modder and do all sorts of crazy cool stuff to cars such as stereos, video, HID's and leds and I already replaced my Concertone ZX75 unit with a pioneer AVIC-3200DVD unit, replaced all the internal 6 inch speakers to Kicker 2 way speakers and replaced the outside 5 inch speaker with polk 2 way marine speakers. Problem is now, THERE IS NO BASS!!!! Was thinkin I would stick a powered marine bazooka tube under the trailer right before the wheels and can run a power cable straight from the battery and use the X10 wireless audio/video sender and receiver and make it so I can have it sent a wireless signal to the bazooka tube on the outsdie. Now for the inside I was wondering, Is there a constant heavy gauge wire that goes under the couch in the slide out? I was thinking about putting this MTX dual 10's behind the couch but it needs a 12V constant to a decent gauge wire, say 10 gauge. Any input would help bc I dont want to start drilling holes and making damage that cant be fixed.
double_d99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

I can't help you with your question, but to the forum!

Sounds like you're pretty handy and it will be interesting to see what other mods you come up with. One that may hold your interest is LED lighting under the trailer. I have a gas line that runs the entire length of the trailer and I zip tied a blue rope light to it. I plug it into the campgrounds elec with an extension cord. It really looks pretty good, but I have wondered what it would be like if I used the type of LED lighting you see on cars and tied it in to the 12v system. Maybe have a on/off switch handy.

With all the updated stereo equipment that you've added, please excuse me if I camp a few sites down from you, or maybe the next campground down the road!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
With all the updated stereo equipment that you've added, please excuse me if I camp a few sites down from you, or maybe the next campground down the road!
LOL, i go to alot of car shows that we party and misuc is blarin so it wouldnt be blastin when im camping in nature
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Just remember that unless you add additional batteries and/or charging equipment, you wont be long from overloading the factory 12v output. A powered bazooka draws a lot of power and I doubt the factory converter could keep up with it much less adding more stuff.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
Just remember that unless you add additional batteries and/or charging equipment, you wont be long from overloading the factory 12v output. A powered bazooka draws a lot of power and I doubt the factory converter could keep up with it much less adding more stuff.
I didnt think about that, thats a good thing to look into! The other thing I was looking into was A Polk PSWi225 wireless subwoofer and just pluging it into the trailer on the inside and moving it to the outside if we are outside
Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #6

Hey do you still have your zx-75? Is it in working condition? If yes would you like to sell it? Thx in advance!
Detgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detgeno View Post
Hey do you still have your zx-75? Is it in working condition? If yes would you like to sell it? Thx in advance!
Yea, its brand new and its on ebay

NO RESERVE Concertone ZX75 RV stereo w/ six speakers

If you want to make me an offer I will sell it straight up but there is 1 bit and 24 people watching it. Lemme know
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To try and answer your original question, NO, there is no heavy wire inside the trailer. The largest wires are from the battery to the converter, and from the battery to the slide motor. Anything else will be 14 or 16 gauge, except maybe one for the furnace, since the furnace fan runs on 12 volt. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
To try and answer your original question, NO, there is no heavy wire inside the trailer. The largest wires are from the battery to the converter, and from the battery to the slide motor. Anything else will be 14 or 16 gauge, except maybe one for the furnace, since the furnace fan runs on 12 volt. Good luck.
So there is a thick positive wire going to the motor in the slideout?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #10

I thought a Subwoofer was a low slung dog and a bazooka was something that needs pointing at Gadafi............

Welcome to the forum

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Wire to the slide motor will probably be 12 gauge, BUT IT WILL only be 12 volts when the motor is running, in other words, when you are running the slide in or out. It also reverses polarity to reverse the slide motor. The only constant HEAVY gauge wire will be from the battery to the convertor.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_d99 View Post
Hey folks, new to the forum and brand new to a 2012 Forest River Salem travel trailer. My first trailer. I am a car modder and do all sorts of crazy cool stuff to cars such as stereos, video, HID's and leds and I already replaced my Concertone ZX75 unit with a pioneer AVIC-3200DVD unit, replaced all the internal 6 inch speakers to Kicker 2 way speakers and replaced the outside 5 inch speaker with polk 2 way marine speakers. Problem is now, THERE IS NO BASS!!!! Was thinkin I would stick a powered marine bazooka tube under the trailer right before the wheels and can run a power cable straight from the battery and use the X10 wireless audio/video sender and receiver and make it so I can have it sent a wireless signal to the bazooka tube on the outsdie. Now for the inside I was wondering, Is there a constant heavy gauge wire that goes under the couch in the slide out? I was thinking about putting this MTX dual 10's behind the couch but it needs a 12V constant to a decent gauge wire, say 10 gauge. Any input would help bc I dont want to start drilling holes and making damage that cant be fixed.
And they wonder why the Earth shakes in California! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #13

I have been looking for a way to add bass too but haven't found a practical way to add a 12 volt sub. I like the Polk wireless, what are the dimensions? How does the transmitter wire in?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

So, what I did was, bought a 12 inch bazooka tube, bulled out the drawr under the dining area and took it apart and screwed the drawr plate back in from behind to make it look the same from the front and stuck the bazooka tube under the seat, and screwed the 800Watt 4 channel amp to the wheel hump under the seat. Drilled 3 holes 2 the same size as a 4 gauge wire for the positive and negative and a smaller hole for a 12 gauge speaker wire. Sealed them up with silicone sealer and closed the hole in the bottom with glue and duct tape. Grounded the negative cable to the metal, ran the 4 gauge power cable to the positive terminal of the battery including an in line fuze. I ran the speaker wire to the front of the trailer where I put a 12 inch sub in the box in the front storage compartment. Now for the audio input, i ran a 4 rca cable from my pioneer deck down to the amp. Since I am powering the outside speakers from the rear channels of the deck i hooked up the channels on the amp from the rear for the outside and from the fronts to the inside and now I have one amp powering 2 subs that doesnt take much power and produces sweet sound. I will take pics in a few days when I get back into town.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #15

Great!! Now wer'e gonna hear BOOM BOOM BOOM while camping in the nice quiet campgrounds as well!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Great!! Now wer'e gonna hear BOOM BOOM BOOM while camping in the nice quiet campgrounds as well!

Yup, hope I park right next to you since you either can't read or didn't take time to read the whole thread before you add your own comments....