Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
12 volt outlet

We have a 2010 Cedar Creek Silverback. We purchased a Sleep Number RV Edition Mattress.
I want to install a 12-volt outlet in the bedroom area so that I can plug in a portable inverter in order to be able to plugin and run the air compressor unit for the mattress when we're dry camping (to inflate or deflate mattress).
How do I install a 12 volt outlet? (where does it connect to ?? etc)
Is this the best way to go for providing power to the compressor unit or is there a better way to do this?

cdnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
The most common method is to install an outlet similar to the cigarette lighter in your car with an appropriate fuse. Just do your research and be careful.

OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
I'm surprised that FR does not have 12 volt outlets near the the headboard. We installed a 12V outlet.

Here's a link --
IMG_0517 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Finding a power source was a bit of a challenge. I initially thought about tying into the water pump, but found a 'hot wire' to the interior lighting.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
I have installed 3 (cigarette lighter style) in my Roo. A little digging around behind panels, in cabinets, following wiring and water lines, I was able to connect them up to the fuse panel. The trailer had a couple of empty spots in the panel, and some careful searching of which fuse served what, I was able to supply all my 12 volt power needs. Very handy to have.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
To run an inverter, you need to do some math. A 1200 watt AC inverter will draw 100 amps pf DC power, and only supply 10 amps of AC power. At least that is how it works on paper, need more amperage in the real world. Let us know the amperage draw on the mattress pump, and multiply by 10, that will be the minimum current draw on your 12 volt outlet. Using a cigarette style is good for 30 amps at best.

Here's a test. Get your inverter, plug in to your truck lighter socket, parked near your camper, run an extension cord to bedroom and power the pump. Let us know how it worked.

Want the equations; Watts equals volts time amps.
1200 watts at 12 volts equals 100 amps
1200 watts at 120 volts equals 10 amps

AC volts, or DC volts doesn't matter, a Watt is a Watt.

You need 10 times the 12 volt DC current to run a 120 volt AC device,
(not counting losses in the inverter).
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt