Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

12v Electrical mods planned

I'm planning to make the following mod to my 2012 RG3210 5er in the coming weekends. I wanted to get some feedback from some folks that have done similar stuff

Changing out my single 12v battery that came with the rig to two 6v golf cart batts. going to source the batts to get around 200-230 AH.

Looked into changing my on-board charger, but on further research found that it is already a 3 stage charger, so I'm gonna leave it. I have the WF-8935 35 Amp Power Center. info here:
Power CentersWF-8935ANP, WF-8935 35 Amp Power Center#

I am going to install a 12v outlet at or near my 32" Sansui tv so I can power it with a 400w portable inverter. Planning to use #10 wire to the 12v outlet. The tv specs claim approx 65 watts on, so with a 12v system I'm figuring about 7 amps draw, plus any voltage drop.

going to splice in a two circuit three position switch (backwards)Bryant Electric White Single Pole Three Position Two Circuit Switch
to the 120v circuit at the 120v outlet by the tv so I can feed that outlet with the invertor OR the shore power/genny

Lastly, I would liek to install a meter somewhere on the 12v side with a momentary switch so that I might be able to see what I'm drawing from the batts at any given time, but I havent researched that yet. Not sure what would be required and how to rig it. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated

Any thoughts?
crashbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

Most 400w inverters are modified sine wave (MSW), as opposed to a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) unit. I'm no expert on the difference, but my reading told me that you are taking a chance running almost anything electronic on MSW. This is why I spent the extra $$$ on PSW. Not saying that it won't work, just saying that there is exttra care needed as to what you can or can't plug into MSW.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Actually, I had planned to look for a pure sine wave inverter in the 400 watt range. I should have specified that. I found a nice little 300 watt one here

Shop Power Bright 300 Watt 12V DC to AC Pure Sine Inverter at Lowes.com

and may go with it if I dont find a decent one at 400 watt
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

I'm confused, you mention installing a plug for 12 volts. Are you planning on plugging in the DC side of the portable inverter into that plug and hardwiring the AC side thru the listed switch to the existing wall receptacle? Why not just plug the tv into the inverter directly, and then plug into the existing wall recptacle when on shore/genny power? No switch needed. I'm not entirely sure how the switch listed could be installed to function in the manner stated as it only has one pole. Am I missing something?
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Watch out running any electronics on genny with out a good surge protector. Gennys are unstable.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

I'd be leary of this unit - not UL listed?
Seemed too good to be true for the $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post
Thanks for the input. Actually, I had planned to look for a pure sine wave inverter in the 400 watt range. I should have specified that. I found a nice little 300 watt one here

Shop Power Bright 300 Watt 12V DC to AC Pure Sine Inverter at Lowes.com

and may go with it if I dont find a decent one at 400 watt
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Most 400w inverters are modified sine wave (MSW), as opposed to a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) unit. I'm no expert on the difference, but my reading told me that you are taking a chance running almost anything electronic on MSW. This is why I spent the extra $$$ on PSW. Not saying that it won't work, just saying that there is exttra care needed as to what you can or can't plug into MSW.
Whether it works or not probably depends on the type of Power Supply
used by the device.

At various times, I have run two notebook computers, a wireless
router and/or a small TV on a 400(800 surge) inverter. The notebooks
and router all had "wall wart" type switching regulator power supplies.
Don't know about the TV. Switching regulators rectify the AC to high
voltage DC and use that to create a high frequency AC that is then
converted to regulated DC. Since the incoming AC is first rectified to
DC, it's waveform is probably not terribly critical.

Most "modern" electronics will have a switching type supply to
reduce size, weight and cost, so I don't worry too much.

I worry much more about voltage spikes, current surges, and
"trash" on the power from tow vehicle or genset!!!........
YMMV.

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

It has been known for years that MSW inverters and wall warts do not make good bedfellowes...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga Camper View Post
It has been known for years that MSW inverters and wall warts do not make good bedfellowes...
Could you explain to a retired EE why that might be true?
[I was not posting about wall warts with TRANSFORMERS, but
specified those with switching supplies. Big diff........]

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooted View Post
I'm confused, you mention installing a plug for 12 volts. Are you planning on plugging in the DC side of the portable inverter into that plug and hardwiring the AC side thru the listed switch to the existing wall receptacle? Why not just plug the tv into the inverter directly, and then plug into the existing wall recptacle when on shore/genny power? No switch needed. I'm not entirely sure how the switch listed could be installed to function in the manner stated as it only has one pole. Am I missing something?
Yeah, it's due to install conditions. I was trying not to get to lengthy, but here is the reasoning...

yes, I plan to plug the inverter into the 12v outlet...

The 32" tv to be powered at this location is a wall mount unit built in to a cabinet over the main entry door to my trailer. The power cord and outlet powering it are not easy to get to. You have to remove the moulding around the tv and squeeze a hand in.. Not practical for regular switching of power sources. ..

The switch I mentioned will be installed int the bottom of the enclosure, behind the tv, so it will be overhead at the doorway.

I actually should verify the link I gave for the switch is the exact switch I was told to use. I think it is, but Im not sure, but I will be before I buy it..

The switch should work as described according to a friend of mine who does electrical design work. It is intended to take a single line in of 120v and switch it between one each of two different circuits out ( or none if set to center). I will be using it backwards, with two sources of 120v (shore or inverter)feeding into the switch and one line coming out powering a new outlet mounted in the tv enclosure. According to the electricians I have spoken with, the switch doesnt know which way the electricity is flowing so it should work fine. My only concern was What if I accidentaly turned on the inverter while I also had shore power, but all I spoke with assured me the switch only activates one circuit or the other (or none at center) but never both.

So the sitch would be wired as follows.. The 2 circuits out(IN for My usage) would each be wired with a 1 to 2 foot long cord with a regular three prong plug at the end. One of the plugs will be plugged into the existing 120v outlet that currently feeds the tv. The other will be poked through the gap at the side of the tv so I can pull the cord out and connect to the inverter when in use. The circuit in on the switch (OUT for my usage) will be wired to a NEW electrical outlet behind the tv. This new outlet is what the tv cord will be permanantly plugged into.

This set ip should allow me to run the tv normally(with switch set to shore power) or throw the switch to inverter, extend the cord on the side of the tv and plug it into the converter which will be plugged into the 12v outlet

with all that said, i want to keep the inverter out of the tv enlosure because of heat concerns, and I want it plugged into a 12v outlet because I wont be permanantly mounting it on my wall. For one it doesnt match the decor, and I may have other uses for it .. I have a 19" LCD in the bedroom I may want to power up from time to time. Plus, My wife wouldnt approve.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #11

as for the sine wave stuff, my tv is a Sansui 32" LCD (model HDLCD3212C). I dunno if it needs pure sine wave or not, but If I can get a smaller one at a good price, I was going to go that route.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #12

and what are these "wall warts" you all speak of?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #13

I do think the single pole issue on the switch may be a problem. Perhaps some other sort of switch would be better suited. Any suggestions for a switch to select from two sources of 120V?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #14

This is the type of switch you would need (double pole double throw).Switches | Wall Switches | Industrial Grade Toggle, Double Pole, Double Throw, 30A, 120/277V AC | B211353 - GlobalIndustrial.com
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbot View Post
and what are these "wall warts" you all speak of?
Power sources for many electronic devices. Originally
they were all simply small transformers in a little
(usually) black box with a built in AC plug. when plugged
in to an AC outlet, they looked like a "wart" on the wall.

As they evolved, they became transformers with a linear
regulated DC supply, then finally morphed to switching
regulators. All versions seem to still be still available, with
switching regulators becoming more dominant.

In almost all cases, their job is turning high voltage
(117VAC/234VAC) into low voltage DC usually 3VDC
to maybe 20VDC........

cheers,
johnd
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I burned up my first inverter trying to use a single pole double throw switch to accomplish what you are trying to do.

I should have used the double throw double pole to switch BOTH ground and hot wires to the load circuit with an "off" in the center to keep the power TOTALLY seperate from each other.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Switches.pdf (1.57 MB, 48 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #17

Whoa there - don't switch the ground wire - maybe the neutral...
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #18

Yeah, it seems to me you guys are right and the double pole would be a much safer bet. I'll go that route.

That said, phase one of my DIY is done. I was going to go to two 6v batts and went by SAMs to check them out. They had some energizer 220Ah 6vs. They looked good. Then I saw some energizer 29HM Deep Cycle 12volts. Hmmm.. 125AH each... I was torn...

In the end, I wnet with two of the 12volts. They should give me more AH, though probably wont last as long, but they came with a 1-3 warranty. The plus side being if one does go belly up, I stll have power if I take it off the rig.

I was able to get them both in my existing Battery Compartment...Just.. But it was noice to do so because I was dreading the loss of storage space in my pass-through. I wired them in parrallel with some 12" @2 battery cables I got from Autozone. Hooked everything back up and NO POPS and I didn't let the smoke out of anything!

Next will be a new 12v outlet near my bed so I can run my CPAP machine from that instead of the outlet across the room by the tv that I have been using.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga Camper View Post
Whoa there - don't switch the ground wire - maybe the neutral...
That is what the Captain meant to say (LOL).
The white and the black wires; not the bare metal ones. <smile>
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #20

I just ordered one fo these inverters. Prices here are very nice. Supposed to be one day shipping by UPS ground, So i'll give feedback after the weekend. Hoepfully this will allow me to watch my Giants Whoop on Green bay this Sunday while we're camping!

300 Watt Pure Sine Power Inverter 12 Volt by AIMS. Includes cables.

Tags
12 Volt