Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 AM   #1

15 amp to 30 amp adapter

Ever plug into power at the house of the person you're visiting? Or maybe at a public place like a museum? We all use a dog bone adapter for that right?

Well, that always worried me because it still requires that the expensive RV power cord be exposed to thieves. So I've been meaning to make an adapter but then I found this one on Amazon.

It's 1/2 the size of your fist and hooks directly to the RV, then has it's male plug exposed for you to plug a normal (inexpensive) extension cord to. It's one molded piece, very solid and robust and only $8! If my link doesn't work, Google HQRP RV Locking Electrical Adapter

BTW, Costco has TWO- PACKS of 50 foot, 12 AWG (thick) extension cords for only $30, and they're made in the USA. That's an extremely good price. Home Depot sells just one for over $40. They also have 5 lb fire extinguishers (twice the size of a normal car one) for $25. Another extremely good price!

NOTE: This is for 30 amp, not 50 amp.

BTW, the add says "plus UV meter". That's a typo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #2

We have one of these adapters,handy to have if used "Properly"! Youroo!!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
Ever plug into power at the house of the person you're visiting? Or maybe at a public place like a museum? We all use a dog bone adapter for that right?

Well, that always worried me because it still requires that the expensive RV power cord be exposed to thieves. So I've been meaning to make an adapter but then I found this one on Amazon.

It's 1/2 the size of your fist and hooks directly to the RV, then has it's male plug exposed for you to plug a normal (inexpensive) extension cord to. It's one molded piece, very solid and robust and only $8! If my link doesn't work, Google HQRP RV Locking Electrical Adapter

BTW, Costco has TWO- PACKS of 50 foot, 12 AWG (thick) extension cords for only $30, and they're made in the USA. That's an extremely good price. Home Depot sells just one for over $40. They also have 5 lb fire extinguishers (twice the size of a normal car one) for $25. Another extremely good price!

NOTE: This is for 30 amp, not 50 amp.

BTW, the add says "plus UV meter". That's a typo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is a great idea, if your trailer uses this type of connector (mine doesn't). I am glad to see that you are using a 12 gauge cord. Too many people go light gauge when they shouldn't. That is a great price on the cords!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #4

Never knew this type of adapter even existed. This is perfect for my situation. Not worried about theft, but can keep my two RV cables clean and ready to go for the next trip. Allows me to get my tractor out of the barn and get to both sides of the lawn. I will have one before spring.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

I donít worry about someone stealing my power cord, if I did I wouldnít ever be able to leave my camper hooked up anywhere.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

There are a couple versions of this adapter.
Here's another from Home Depot.
A/C Adapter for R/V -15 to 30.

I like the ones with a little pigtail on them. It lets the extension cord hang down along the side of the rig a little better.

15 amp to 30 amp adapter.

15 to 30 dogbone adapter.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

Can't find the 2-pack of Costco Ex Cords, need a part#! Thanks,Youroo!!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

I have a 50amp female to 20 amp short adapter. Works well for when we want to get ready to go or get ready to store. Obviously anyone that uses one of these must understand that they are for low current draws such as lights or TV, not for AC or Electric Fireplaces. You can still run furnace as it's wired through the converter, but the AC is a No No. I am set up to adapt to 50amp, 30 amp, 20 amp, and 15 amp. You just have to be conscious of what you intend to run, and how many things you intend to run. Other key to this equation is the power cord you use. If not heavy enough gauge you'll burn things up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V6P7BK...&pd_rd_w=x6TT5

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I have a 50amp female to 20 amp short adapter. Works well for when we want to get ready to go or get ready to store. Obviously anyone that uses one of these must understand that they are for low current draws such as lights or TV, not for AC or Electric Fireplaces. You can still run furnace as it's wired through the converter, but the AC is a No No. I am set up to adapt to 50amp, 30 amp, 20 amp, and 15 amp. You just have to be conscious of what you intend to run, and how many things you intend to run. Other key to this equation is the power cord you use. If not heavy enough gauge you'll burn things up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V6P7BK...&pd_rd_w=x6TT5
Same one that I have. Sure beats pulling out the 50A cable when loading up the camper and just want to run the residential fridge.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Olemax

15 A Connector

I use a similar one to keep my battery charged while my rig sits in the home driveway. Never saw the need to install a 50 A receptacle just to charge the battery and run the fridge.

Can't wait for this winter to blow away so we can get back to glamping!

Olemax

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote