Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
The new ram 3500's don't come std with brake controllers???

Nope. It's a stand alone option.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #22

I have a 2015 ram with integrated brake system but have not received my trailer yet. Now I'm worried. I will check back here later. hopefully I won't have problems.
BCMCpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Nope. It's a stand alone option.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Interesting.... I thought all three big Mfg's had them standard on there HD trucks. Good luck with issue.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #24

factory brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Over on CUMMINS forum, there is quite some action regarding the factory brake controller not putting out the voltage it should.

Just the 15.

Has anyone else had any issues with it?

There was even a voltage chart, referencing the factory controller against other controllers and the voltages they put out.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I've had no issues with the RAM factory brake controller. Love mine!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #25

Someone educate me about the difference in the controllers. When I got the Ram with the integrated controller I was really impressed with the way it worked because it measured brake pedal movement (pressure?) to determine the amount of voltage to send to the brakes.

I thought (and could be wrong) the P3 controller, which I have on my older CTD Ram, measured momentum, or rate of deceleration, to determine how much voltage to send. If that's the case then it would seem logical that the integrated controller would be much faster in applying voltage. If I really step hard on the brake pedal then the brakes would get full power...right now with no delay. The momentum system would be slightly slower, although only by maybe a ¼ to ½ second.

Also, as the P3 system sensed lower deceleration, as in when you are almost stopped, I've been told the sensor (pendulum?) will release some pressure which in turn would start lowering voltage to the brakes.

Seems to me the integrated systems would be better, and I like how the "pressure" meter is in the line of sight on the instrument panel.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #26

The new brake control works in two stages like I side in my first response. What it does is apply more voltage faster to slow your trailer down at higher speeds in the heavy brake setting, which is where you need it. If you like alot of brake grab right a way then leave is always set on heavy brake. You set these settings in your control setting on the main information screen in the middle of the consul. Plus you can customize your trailer brake settings for several different trailers , once all set up all you do is pick which one you want and select it.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, factory, brakes