Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

16 B Bunk Mod

I have a Clipper 16B that I got for me to camp in with friends who have their own TTs. When I settled on this floor plan I thought I would sleep in the bottom bunk and leave the dinette set up. For those of you not familiar with this floor plan here it is:

Well it turns out I am a little claustrophobic and couldn't sleep in the lower bunk. I have never had a problem sleeping anywhere in my life but would wake up feeling like I couldn't breath in the middle of the night. I would move to the dinette and all would be fine.

I was determined to sleep in the bunk so I decided to do a little trimming to the top bunk. After a couple of emails with Connie Burkett at Coachmen to see if it was OK to do what I wanted to do I went for it. I cut the front half of the top bunk out to open up the bottom bunk.

Before image I copied off of the web:

After:

As you can see it opened thing up. I kept the back half for storage, I think it worked out OK and I sleep great there now and can also sit up in bed. I also made a curtain for the window because I got tired of hitting the mini blind while sleeping. Another bonus is I have the mattress from the top bunk on top of the one for the bottom bunk, extra cushy now. I took the pics before my bed was completely made so sorry about that, clean sheets, blankets were still in the dryer.

I know I may have hurt the resale value a bit but I will probably have this camper for many years so having it work for me is much more important.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #2

That looks like the perfect home for the single camper! (assuming that's the case )Very nice work.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Thanks and you assumed correctly. Well I do have my two dogs that tag along sometimes.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Looking at your upper bunk, that's why we got bunks, so our schnauzer girls could have their crate set up. We didn't want to have to break the dinette down to place it, nor clutter up our floor space, so bunks do come in handy. If forced, i guess they could let human company share it! Lol
What breed are your traveling companions?

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Bunkhouse, one is a poodle/chihuahua and one is a beagle/chihuahua.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

Tags
modifications