Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #1

2008 Concertone -no digital TV

I just bought a 2008 Rockwood 8314SS this past September. After checking it out on our first camping trip, I noticed that the TV portion of the Concertone receiver is still an NTSC Analog TV tuner. The FCC's web site says this: "As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner. In addition, effective May 25, 2007, the Commission required sellers of television receiving equipment that does not include a digital tuner to disclose at the point-of-sale that such devices include only an analog tuner, and therefore will require a digital-to-analog converter box to receive over-the-air broadcast television after the transition date. Retailers must inform consumers by prominently displaying the following text if they are selling TV equipment with only an analog tuner: ...".

So is there some way to turn on the ATSC digital tuner, or is Forest River in violation of Federal law by selling this vehicle with an Analog only (NTSC) turner?
Has anyone contacted them about replacing the Concertone unit with one that is compliant with the current federal regulations? I'd like to have a TV set that will still work 1 year from now. We like to camp in state and national parks, so we will most likely only have over-the-air TV reception. Thanks.
jime45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #2

Digital TV

Sorry about the problem. Our 2008 Flagstaff (built in November 07) had no tuner in the Concertone system, but instead a digital tuner in the LCD TV. I think I would contact Forest River and point out that what they sold you was against the rules (that you pointed out). You may also want to go to https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx and apply for you free coupons for an analog to digital converter.

Good luck,
Bill

2008 Flagstaff 27BHSS
2006 Ford E-350 XLT 5.4L
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Bedford Indiana

kristler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

You are exactly right, they should not give the concertone with analog tuner, in my opinion this was one of the only bad thing about these trailers and maybe they ar trying to get rid of them. Heck even WallyWorld and Kma#t had to pull all of thier analog tv. What I would do is Email the Rockwood /division atten Jeff Richardson. and ddress the issue, he is real good about getting back to you I have gone through 3 of these units , and they finally offerd me a 231.00 refund, of course I had to send the unit back his email address is jrichardson@forestriverinc.com, hope this helps
Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Our 2008 Wildcat came without the tuner built in, and no TV either. It just uses the receiver in the TV we put in.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #5

Concertone Digital TV

Thanks for all the replies. I'll e-mail forestriver and let you know what their answer is.
jime45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime45 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'll e-mail forestriver and let you know what their answer is.
Yes, please keep us posted. I'm interested in what their answer might be too.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

Add me to the list of those waiting to hear FR's reply.
My 08 Rockwood came w/ zx500 Concertone. Dont think the 'newer' zx600 units have digital tuners either
Waiting to talk to dealer when I get back home in late March. Hopefully by then FR will have a decision

Just talked to dealer. He's calling FR because the last he was told by FR is that ALL 08 models are "digital compatible"
14k Pullrite SuperGlide/MorRyde pin box
wa8shc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8shc View Post
Add me to the list of those waiting to hear FR's reply.
My 08 Rockwood came w/ zx500 Concertone. Dont think the 'newer' zx600 units have digital tuners either
Waiting to talk to dealer when I get back home in late March. Hopefully by then FR will have a decision

Just talked to dealer. He's calling FR because the last he was told by FR is that ALL 08 models are "digital compatible"

Sure the ZX600 are..............because they don't have a built in tuner.

Steve
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
PSB

Analog vs digital

Sent an e-mail last week to Jeff Richardson at Forest River claims he hasn't heard about the change over said to contact Gregg Yoder in their electronics division 574-389-1801.
PSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime45 View Post
I just bought a 2008 Rockwood 8314SS this past September. After checking it out on our first camping trip, I noticed that the TV portion of the Concertone receiver is still an NTSC Analog TV tuner. The FCC's web site says this: "As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner. In addition, effective May 25, 2007, the Commission required sellers of television receiving equipment that does not include a digital tuner to disclose at the point-of-sale that such devices include only an analog tuner, and therefore will require a digital-to-analog converter box to receive over-the-air broadcast television after the transition date. Retailers must inform consumers by prominently displaying the following text if they are selling TV equipment with only an analog tuner: ...".

So is there some way to turn on the ATSC digital tuner, or is Forest River in violation of Federal law by selling this vehicle with an Analog only (NTSC) turner?
Has anyone contacted them about replacing the Concertone unit with one that is compliant with the current federal regulations? I'd like to have a TV set that will still work 1 year from now. We like to camp in state and national parks, so we will most likely only have over-the-air TV reception. Thanks.
I purchased my 2008 unit in July 07. I thought I would check my system out.

The TV when turned on showed NTSC. If you press the menu button on the TV remote control and keep pressing until you get to GENERAL MENU you will see INPUT SOURCE. Select INPUT SOURCE and press your right arrow until you see DTV (I believe this is for DIGITAL) If you select AV (ANALOG VIDEO) NTSC shows back up on the screen. So it seems (I could be wrong) that the Concertone TV has both a Digital and Analog tuner. Is this correct?
I purchased a DVD recorder last year and I know it had both Digital and Analog tuners.

Now as for the ZX500 System itself, I looked in the manual under the specifications and it states that its TV tuner is NTSC which is ANALOG. Is this in violation by selling the ZX500 with only a Analog NTSC tuner?

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #11

Just bought a Flagstaff V lite last week, and it has a 22" digital tv made by
Venturer with a winegard HD antenna, and it works great,picking up a lot of new channels in my Jacksonville area. However, the concertjunk 600 that operates the speakers and surround sound broke the first day. The A channel that is the main area surround quit working, and the sub is the only thing on A that works. I had the guy that did my walk-thru look at it yesterday, and he's going to let me know what they are going to do. Thanks.
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCamper View Post
I purchased my 2008 unit in July 07. I thought I would check my system out.

The TV when turned on showed NTSC. If you press the menu button on the TV remote control and keep pressing until you get to GENERAL MENU you will see INPUT SOURCE. Select INPUT SOURCE and press your right arrow until you see DTV (I believe this is for DIGITAL) If you select AV (ANALOG VIDEO) NTSC shows back up on the screen. So it seems (I could be wrong) that the Concertone TV has both a Digital and Analog tuner. Is this correct?
I purchased a DVD recorder last year and I know it had both Digital and Analog tuners.

Now as for the ZX500 System itself, I looked in the manual under the specifications and it states that its TV tuner is NTSC which is ANALOG. Is this in violation by selling the ZX500 with only a Analog NTSC tuner?
You are correct on the Television, it is digital, but very important, you have to hook your antena to the television to use the tuner, the way I did it was pull out the concertone surround, you will see the antenna going directly to it, you can use a 2 way splitter and run a wire to your surround, and directly to your televison, (I just bypassed and went directly to the television as the surround sound did not sound very well) make sure your antenna amp is turne on, then autoprogram your television, you should be able to pick up digital and analog, I am not sure of the model of television you have , but our original broke and dealer upgraded to a Jensen with a built in tuner, the best way to check , is to see if your television has a tuner or not, if it is just a monitor, it does not have the tuner
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Just bought a Flagstaff V lite last week, and it has a 22" digital tv made by
Venturer with a winegard HD antenna, and it works great,picking up a lot of new channels in my Jacksonville area. However, the concertjunk 600 that operates the speakers and surround sound broke the first day. The A channel that is the main area surround quit working, and the sub is the only thing on A that works. I had the guy that did my walk-thru look at it yesterday, and he's going to let me know what they are going to do. Thanks.
HD antenna = UHF antenna, sooo, everybody has a Hd antenna, all trailer before had a UHF/VHF antenna, so there is no reason to upgrade, just some more useless info.

So glad to here that in your area,that they have the digital antenna, so sad to here that they are still installing the Concertone!!!