Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

2019 Wolf Pup F16FQ mods and fixes

Hello all
So we bought our first new RV in September 2018
We are getting older and didn’t want to climb up into the camper overhead anymore. We looked around and saw the wolf pup f16 FQ and loved the layout, it’s just the wife and I so it fits us perfect.

We picked it up late in the day with my truck, a 2017 Sierra 1500 full size.I did buy a wd hitch but didn’t have time to put it on. Didn’t think it was a big deal since it only weighs about 3200lbs dry. Well was I wrong!!!
It wiggled all the way home.

I put on the wd hitch and adjusted it to the specifications and we left loaded up,
Tanks emptied food and clothes.
We live near Vancouver BC headed south to the Grand Canyon.

The WD hitch helped but it wiggled all the way there and back.
Had to keep the speed to 55mph getting up to 65 with no semi around and no wind but was not a relaxing drive when it’s swaying back and forth.

The past few months have been taking it to different places to see if they had any ideas and looking online.
I was under it looking at the axle and noticed the spring hangers weren’t straight and had a lot of play in them.This would cause the part of the swaying
I went around looking at a lot of other single axle trailers and they all look the same, maybe not as bad.
So I took it to a axle shop and he could believe they manufactured it like that and that it was only a 3500lbs axle.
Tires are another part of the problem. Where the tire meets the rim, rubber was pealing and balling up from being overloaded.
He sold me 2500lbs springs to replace the 1750lbs and new rear spring mount with bushings, since the u shaped that is welded on has no bushing in it had already started to oval out.
I was a welder and fabricator so it wouldn’t be a big deal for me to replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8CFD62D-CADE-476C-BF5D-33AADF771BC4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	212020   Click image for larger version

Name:	F14E5586-94BD-4552-96BA-1AF92192ED8A.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	212021  
WolfpupGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

One of the easier checks you failed to mention is tongue weight, have you checked that to ensure it is within range and not light which will cause sway.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

Tong weight

You are right , I didn’t check the tong weight nor did the dealer.
The trailer was empty when I picked it up from the dealer except with the full propane bottle , so I would assume it would have the proper tong weight.

I bought it from Vancouver Island, and it was late in the day so I could not go back to them. I had to catch the ferry back to the mainland.

I have fixed the problem now , with new heavier springs and 10 ply tires and travel with full fresh water which puts more tong weight on and counterbalances what we put in the fridge ( which is behind the axle) also lowers the center of gravity.

I believe the truck might be to blame for damaging the trailer spring hangers.
Half ton trucks all come with p rated tires which allow the trailer sway to be amplified into the truck.
I now have 10 ply on the truck as well. Lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	212070  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Truck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	212074  
Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

I have an 18 wolf pup 17rp and I tow it with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Empty or loaded with my dirt bikes it swayed like crazy, even with WD and sway control. I came to the conclusion the sway issues were due to the light weight of the trailer, large sides that catch wind and the single axle. With dual axles I think there’s just more resistance to pivoting. Mine also has Carlisle load range E tires and a 5200 lb axle. Ultimately I ended up purchasing a no sway hitch made by Hensley and now it’s hard to tell it’s back there other than the lack of power. I don’t feel trucks or wind anymore. Sway is physically impossible with the Hensley
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

you should have a look at the rear spring hanger and see how much space there is in the bolt for pivoting . Mine as you can see in the picture had too much play which would allow the body to move due to wind and not the axle. Also check the u shaped attachment point on the frame. Mine had already started to oval out because of no sleeve between the u , and no bushing. It just pivoits on the bolt and wears the bolt and the u .
Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

This is the bolts and the u that was welded on the trailer . The other pic is the new hanger. It has a sleeve , is a solid piece and it distributes the weight over a larger area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4606 (002).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	212264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4605 (002).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	212265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4603 (002).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	212266  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #8

I also put new bolts in and greased them. The old bolts ( made in china ), the head to the shoulder is slightly longer which allows more play in the shackle .

Tags
wolf pup