Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

2nd ac install dometic penguin 2 on a columbus 320rs

Recently bought a 2014 columbus 320rs and realized rather quickly that a 2nd ac would be needed. It is prepped for a 2nd ac, has a dometic main ac and has the ccc ll thermostat for zone control of the two ac's. I purchased the dometic penguin 2 15k btu low profile model # 641816cxx1j0. I planned on ducting this ac so I got the lower assembly unit with the return vent and dump vent only. No controls. I also got a tempature sensor.
The description for this model states it has the pre installed multi-zone ccc ll control board. I had assumed this was all that was needed to tie it into my ac system. After getting it installed I noticed there is no electronic control box on the unit. I found several different control boxes online but not sure which one I need. The dometic help line is not open on the weekends and if like to get it ordered.
First question does anybody know if I have the right unit for a 2nd ac install?
Second question if I do, then what control box would I need?
Pictures attched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_104317.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	173398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_104227.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	173399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_104139.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	173400   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_104040.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	173401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180525_181317.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	173402  

Bajskad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

I am going to bet this is the one you need. It has the dipswitches in it that you will have to set to the zone you select. But probably should wait and talk to dometic on Tuesday so you can get the right part number for what you have.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...it_3312020.000

whitewinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

I'm sure it's the one i need just gotta find the right control box. Probably best to just wait and talk to dometic.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Yes you will need the ccc 3 multi zone control board. That works with all the dometic ac units.

Looks like you got the right remote sensor.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

Got the a/c figured out today.
The control board is located in a control box which is accessed by removing the top a/c cover on the roof. Nothing needed to be added to the unit. It was all there just didn't know it.
Flip the zone 2 dip switch on the control board to on. This will make it zone 2 on the thermostat.
Turn the breaker off to the 2nd a/c. Connect the 110 ac pre wired in the camper to the 110 ac in the metal box of the a/c unit.
Plug the j11 phone jack pre wired from the camper into one of the two j11 receptacles coming from the a/c unit. Not sure which one is right I just picked one and it worked.
There is a small two pin connector with the other wires coming from the a/c unit. This is the temperature sensor wire. The temperature sensor that I bought plugs into that wire.
Turn the breaker back on to the a/c.
Turn off the thermostat. (Requires the Dometic CCC 2 thermostat which was already installed as my camper was pre wired for the 2nd a/c)
Press the mode and zone buttons at the same time. This resets the thermostat.
The thermostat must be reset in order to find the 2nd a/c and gain access to zone 2 functions.
Turn the thermostat back on. Now you can set the 2 zones independent of each other and the thermostat will turn them on and off accordingly to maintain the desired temperature of each zone.
None of the 12 volt dc wires coming from the a/c were needed in my installation. Apparently the a/c unit only needs 110 ac for power and the j11 data cable to communicate with the thermostat.
Called Dometic twice today. What a waste of time. Neither time could they tell me what the 12 volt dc wires were for. I learned more by talking to the maple tree beside my camper.
Just temp wired it today to make sure it works. Tomorrow I'll do the final install.
Thanks for the input everybody.

Tags
320rs, columbus, dometic