Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

Question 30amp Portable vs Hardwired Surge Protector

I have been looking at both the 30 amp portable and the 30 amp hardwired Surge Protectors. I like the portable one because of ease of use and I like the hard wired one as its mounted in the trailer and I can sleep at night knowing someone hasn't walked off with my $200 surge protector.

I guess out of sight out of mind thinking..

Are there any other pros and cons to owning either? Im leaning towards the hard wired one but am waiting to here more feedback.

Let me know what you think.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would do the hard wired for the reason you suggested .
Do not skimp on price buy a good quality surge .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

I am about to get a Progressive Industries 30 amp hard wired version with remote display. Best price I have seen online is at http://lawrencerv.com/. S&H is free.

I might have to wait to install it until next spring as trailer goes into indoor winter storage soon.
rnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #4

After doing some digging, the hardwired surge I'm looking at going with is this one:
RV SURGE GUARD 120V 30AMP HARDWIRED PROTECTOR | eBay

Price is $235 at camping world with free shipping so the ebay deal doesn't seem that bad.

I'm in the same boat, won't install till probably spring. Will give me plenty of time to read up on install.
Eastlake, OH
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo
Price is $235 at camping world with free shipping so the ebay deal doesn't seem that bad.
Just make sure that TRC will honor their 12-mo warranty if you buy it via eBay. Most manufacturers don't recognize eBay as an authorized reseller. Otherwise the $30 savings may not be as attractive.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #6

Electrical Protection Comparison Chart

This should assist with determining which unit to dive into a bit deeper.
I went with the hard wired Progressive Industries from the same RV place identified in the forum earlier because they had the best price. Now to take the time to wire it in.

Our trailer at 2.5 weeks old had the converter destroyed by an open neutral at the Kiwanis OCEANFRONT campground, St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada when the loop we were on (with 8 other RV's also damaged) lost the aluminum to copper ground contact due to rotting and no routine maintenance. The line went 240 Volts.
The Progressive industries unit appears to be the only one which protects agains 240 and open neutral.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
After doing some digging, the hardwired surge I'm looking at going with is this one:
RV SURGE GUARD 120V 30AMP HARDWIRED PROTECTOR | eBay

Remember what your investment is... the trailer is only a small part of it. Your family's protection is the primary. A 20 or 50 sheet is less than a cupof large coffee a day. Piece of mind is priceless.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #8

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
You cant go wrong with Progressive Industries Surge Guards...Ive had one for a year and its saved me several times. When campers around us got fried..we were saved ! Expensive, but worth every penny !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #9

Received my Hard Wired 30amp Surge Guard in the mail yesterday. Looking over the instructions it doesn't seem overly that hard at all to install. I think the most difficult part will be mounting the actual unit in a solid location. Thanks for all the responses.

Something to do over the winter now.
Eastlake, OH
Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #10

Did you do this install already? It would be great to see an install picture or two. I want to do this to our camper as well.
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

All I did was mount the unit to a panel that I will install in a bottom compartment inside my trailer. To ensure the unit worked I made a temp outlet that ran from to allow our freezer to plug in. Unit worked great. In spring I will splice into the 12/2 wire coming inside the trailer from outside and be done with it. Unit has a delay of 2 min. before it allows power to run through trailer. I guess this is because it is checking for faults. Hope this helps.
Eastlake, OH
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
I have been looking at both the 30 amp portable and the 30 amp hardwired Surge Protectors. I like the portable one because of ease of use and I like the hard wired one as its mounted in the trailer and I can sleep at night knowing someone hasn't walked off with my $200 surge protector.

I guess out of sight out of mind thinking..

Are there any other pros and cons to owning either? Im leaning towards the hard wired one but am waiting to here more feedback.

Let me know what you think.
We bought the 30 amp portable surge protector last year for our XLR based on recommendations made on this forum. I share the concern that someone one day will walk off with it at a campground. I bought the lockable hasp for the unit but it seems to be configured for round poles with the electrical connection. It just doesn't work at any park we have stayed at since they all had wooden square shaped poles.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure the portable surge protector to ensure it doesn't disappear?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #13

HI! First off do not connect it at the post end. Connect it at the trailer side. The protection is the same. If this is not enough for you you can use a short chain and a long shackle lock and chain the whole thing to your trailer bumper, Run the shackle over on one end of the surge protector. If they want it that bad they will have to repair the end to make it functional after they cut it off the lock or cut the whole lock and chain off.

I hid mine under the spare. That also kept it clean. Good luck.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
I like the portable one because of ease of use and I like the hard wired one as its mounted in the trailer and I can sleep at night knowing someone hasn't walked off with my $200 surge protector.
If your worried about some one skillfully acquiring your protection in the middle of the night - chances are it may as well disappear in the middle of the day while you and your family are out site seeing.
Hard wired inside your trailer is not only that piece of mind but a great reselling feature when it comes time. And at 200$ well its something you need only do once unless you sell.

I see people leaving BBQ units, 100 dollar chairs toys bikes etc out when they are gone for the week. We have become a society of blind trust with neighbors we will never see in many cases again.
Locked down but in sight was not the decision I went with. Built in was better.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
HI! First off do not connect it at the post end. Connect it at the trailer side. The protection is the same. If this is not enough for you you can use a short chain and a long shackle lock and chain the whole thing to your trailer bumper, Run the shackle over on one end of the surge protector. If they want it that bad they will have to repair the end to make it functional after they cut it off the lock or cut the whole lock and chain off.

I hid mine under the spare. That also kept it clean. Good luck.
Gosh - I need a visual on this because I'm having a hard time getting a picture of what you mean in my mind.

I've been plugging mine into the post and then locking the post lid with a padlock. I have the 30 amp unit from CW.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #16

OK let's see if I can describe this better. Starting from the trailer end plug the surge protector to the trailer plug. I have a 50A to 30 A adapter so I connect the SP there. Then the extension cord to the post. My theory is that it takes real balls to come up to the trailer and start fiddling around to steal something. Most are grab and runs.

My old pop up had a 10 foot pull out 30A cord so doing this was easy. You may need an adapter at the trailer end.

Take a good long shackle lock like the ones we used to use on bicycles and capture one end of the surge protector. Then thread on the ends of a chain that is long enough to go around the bumper. If some one wants to steal the SP then they either need a bolt cutter or cut the end off the SP which then becomes useless to the thief. Good luck.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #17

I think the misunderstanding is because it sounds like extreme has a spot to plug his RV cord into the side of the trailer. Terier on the other hand has a set up like mine where you cord is hard wired to the trailer and you pull out what is needed and then push it back in when done.

Am I right here? If that is the case Terier cannot do what extreme suggested.
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttracker18 View Post
I think the misunderstanding is because it sounds like extreme has a spot to plug his RV cord into the side of the trailer. Terier on the other hand has a set up like mine where you cord is hard wired to the trailer and you pull out what is needed and then push it back in when done.

Am I right here? If that is the case Terier cannot do what extreme suggested.

My powercord is the type that you hook up both ends - one end gets plug into the trailer and the other end to the electrical post (just like the fresh water hose). I have no easy way to secure the surge protector except to add a padlock to the electrical post. I don't believe the SP prongs will fit the electrical outlet on the trailer as this outlet has one L shape hole while the SP plug does not have the same L shape prong.

Due to budget reasons I opted for the portable plug & use unit. I don't have a husband that could install the hardwire type. My dealer could install it but price would depend on a couple of factors. Quite frankly there are a few things that could be easily stolen: Powercord, waterhose, P-tanks, battery, etc...

Take care,
Terie

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
i opted for the portable version because the paperwork seems to suggest that a licensed electrician should be the only one to install a fixed one.
jk31668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #20

Since we're on the subject of surge protector , If your TT is 30A (as ours is) if I install a 30A protector and visit a campsite that has a 50A outlet and I plug my 30A TT into the 50A outlet, what happens to the 30A surge protector? Should I install a 50A protector??? We travel alot and sometimes only 50A outlet are available.
longarrow is offline   Reply With Quote