Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

4Square SafetyStruts bumper support brackets

The "weak bumper" issue has been discussed here many times, with all sorts of opinions, solutions, and suggestions, but unless I've just over looked it, I've never seen this product mentioned. Ran across it tonight and am asking does anyone use it or know anything about it pro or con. Very high reviews on Amazon and that's the only place I can find it except the manufactures own site. What say ye.......?

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/mnl-car...bumper-failure

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JASCNEE...UK0CTGF15Z#Ask

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4S_SS-Main-800x600.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	121103  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

I threw this product out on this forum a few months ago. I was also looking for input. No one responded. I was not sure if they thought I was advertising the product or if everyone was just unfamiliar with product. I look forward to seeing if you get more reviews.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Team

It's been discussed a number of times but they haven't been around long enough for a long term review.
Personally, my bikes are too valuable to put someplace I can't see them or where they can be smashed by a rear ender.
I prefer to put them on the truck bumper or in the truck bed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It's been discussed a number of times but they haven't been around long enough for a long term review.
Personally, my bikes are too valuable to put someplace I can't see them or where they can be smashed by a rear ender.
I prefer to put them on the truck bumper or in the truck bed.

Before my 1st post, I had not SEARCHED the forum about them, I just had not seen any mention of them, but your post made me curious and I did a search. Don't know what you consider "long enough", but I found a thread from Sept. 2014(2yrs. ago), where they were mentioned by someone who was already using them and another positive mention from Sept. 2015(1yr. ago). As now, you were negative in both of those as well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion, but you've not used them and I was hoping someone who HAS used them would give their assessment, positive or negative. You seem to imply your concern is the value of your stuff not the condition of the bumper, so I guess you wouldn't put anything back there no matter how safe or sturdy the bumper was, if that's your position, fine,...... but in the rv world they're millions of people who DO mount stuff on their bumpers everyday, and probably an equal number who WANT TO, but don't. The search and concern is to know that the bumper can handle the load without a failure. The 4 Square Safety Strut is simply a product that claims to eliminate that bumper failure. The 63 reviews on Amazon are 98% positive, the one and only neg. "Way over priced for what you get did not see where you gain a great amount of benifits",..... price? and its easy to believe he returned the item...... Anyway, now I know there are 4Square SafetyStrut users in the forum and am hoping they will add to the discussion,......... happy trailering..........

Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

I have to wonder that this product, while adding strength to the welds where the bumper tube connects to the frame, it does not do anything for the frame itself. My take on many posts here is that the frame may be the failure point.

I will now sit back and read the following comments... LOL
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

I bought and installed this product on the TT we just traded in. I mounted a truck style toolbox onto the rear bumber to store and tote all of our lounge chairs and firewood. In addition to the bolts drilled through the i-beams, I also had the supports welded in place. In the 2 years / 5000 miles it was there, it worked as advertised. I checked the bumper welds frequently and there was never any signs of impending failure. I will be doing the same mod to the new 5er. It works! (no matter what the naysayers who will be along shortly to tell you.)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I have to wonder that this product, while adding strength to the welds where the bumper tube connects to the frame, it does not do anything for the frame itself. My take on many posts here is that the frame may be the failure point.

I will now sit back and read the following comments... LOL
In my 4yrs + on this forum, lots of folks have discussed frame failure, but it's almost always been "hear-say." Only one person ever posted an actual picture, and most of us who saw it thought it was caused by using the stabilizers as jacks rather than hanging weight on the bumper, based on where the failure occurred.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Just installed them yesterday. We shall see, very easy in stall have a 15% & 20% coupon from the rv show if wanted.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

I installed the 4Square Safety Struts on my new 2014 Shamrock 183 way back in the summer of 2014. I carry a home-built aluminum channel bike rack on the passenger side of the TT bumper and on the driver side I have installed a HF aluminum cargo carrier. They are both attached via Curt bumper adapters. see picture... The two Curt adapters are attached within about 2 feet of each side where the bumper welds to the frame

I am careful to not overload the carrier and typically carry no more then 40# in the carrier ( total weight maybe 80# including carrier), while also carrying my fairly heavy adult bike on the passenger side. I shortened the HF carrier tube by drilling new holes so it does not hang out so far past the bumper.

I typically tow slow 60-65 and never do wash-board roads that would send the TT bouncing down the road... as I said I try to be careful. All that said, I have NOT had any problems with my bumper or the things hanging off the bumper. This is after a couple of 3,000+ mi trips during the winter south into FL, and numerous other shorter trips. I inspected the bumper welds and frame and the previously added struts earlier this summer after returning from my latest winter south FL trip... I found nothing amiss and the struts seem to be doing the intended job of keeping the bumper from trying to "roll-over" and break the welds. I endorse the Strut product IF you are smart and don't overload the rear bumper...

the 3rd pic... greyish paint is where I applied some rubberized black paint to keep corrosion at bay when I first installed struts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curt01.jpg
Views:	2201
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	121270   Click image for larger version

Name:	curt02.jpg
Views:	2320
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	121271  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

thanks to everyone for your input, ... y'all have convinced me they're worth trying, will be ordering and installing very soon......

again, thanks to you all.........

Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Safetystruts appear to have stabilized my bumper

After a 2200 mile trip in June, I noticed a squeaking noise from the bumper as I moved the spare or the bike rack. I had the spare and two bikes on the back.

There is a label on the bumper that says something to the effect, don't haul anything other that what was equipped by the manufacturer. The reality is that the spare tire and mount installed by the manufacturer had already cracked the bumper before I added the bikes.

There was a 1" preexisting stress crack on the left side where the spare was located. This was there when I bought this 2012 trailer just two years ago. But when I returned, I had another larger stress crack on the right side near the bottom of the angle gusset on the bumper. This crack is 2". The bumper was not going to fall off but I surely don't want to see it get worse.

I had been concerned about the weight for some time. But the manner in which FR attached the bumper was better than I've seen on my other trailers.

I considered welding a plate over the cracks but it would be tough to get to it with a rod without risking damage to the body work. So, I decided to give the Safetystruts a try. I ran across them a few months back but decided against since the hole pattern would have compromised the existing welds. Due to the way my bumper was welded I could not use the predrilled Safetystruts. It would have meant drilling through the welds and further weakening the bumper at the frame.

I ordered the Safetystruts without holes and drilled myself so as not to compromise the welds. I had to buy a 2 12" bits since you can't fit a drill between the bumper and the body of the trailer. The bolts were 1/2" too short. I had to buy new mounting hardware and make shims for the lower bolt position.

You need good clamps and I used a floor jack to load the struts against the bumper as I marked the hole positions in the frame. This ensured the Safetystruts were tightly against the bottom and rear of the bumper. I am considering welding the Safetystruts along the rear of the bumper.

Immediately after installing the Safetystruts the flexing and creaking noise caused by the stress cracks was gone. The Safetystruts had indeed stabilized the bumper.

I just returned from a 1600 mile trip and still no more flexing or any indication the stress cracks are expanding. If I buy another trailer, I'll add them when it is new. For the time being this problem appears to be resolved.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160910_125415428.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	121258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160910_125743777.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	121259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160910_132023809.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	121260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160910_132053182.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	121261  
kenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
thanks to everyone for your input, ... y'all have convinced me they're worth trying, will be ordering and installing very soon......

again, thanks to you all.........
I added them a couple of years ago because i wanted to carry a generator on a carrier attached to my bumper So far so good no signs of any stress on the bumper. I would recommend them !
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 PM   #13

I too have installed them about 8 months ago, 5,000 miles while carrying 3 bikes. However, I did install the BAL Hide-a-spare rack to move the spare under the trailer to remove that weight. So far, no issues, no cracks.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #14

the struts came yesterday afternoon and I finished the install just as it was getting dark,.... I ordered the "no holes" model,...... $10 cheaper, but mainly so I could do my own drilling and tapping to insure there was no slop between the bolt and the drilled hole, ...... I drilled and tapped the struts themselves and then screwed three bolts into each one, then added the lock nuts onto the bolts where they came thru the other side of the struts,......... I also had to notch the lower part of the I beams for the struts to fit in place,......

I do believe these struts really can solved the weak bumper and broken weld problem that happens so often,..... now I'll be able to finish two other mods that have been on hold for over two years,..... when we had our Micro Lite 21DS, I had already bought a Swagman bike rack for the bumper and a BAL Hide-A-Spare to remove the spare off the bumper, before I saw the sticker warning against mounting anything that wasn't factory approved, ..... those mods have been in limbo and those two items have been stored away, for so long that I'd actually accepted the possibility that I would never mount anything back there,..... but that's changed now,... happy trailering,.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0390.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	121814  

Old 10-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
the struts came yesterday afternoon and I finished the install just as it was getting dark,.... I ordered the "no holes" model,...... $10 cheaper, but mainly so I could do my own drilling and tapping to insure there was no slop between the bolt and the drilled hole, ...... I drilled and tapped the struts themselves and then screwed three bolts into each one, then added the lock nuts onto the bolts where they came thru the other side of the struts,......... I also had to notch the lower part of the I beams for the struts to fit in place,......

I do believe these struts really can solved the weak bumper and broken weld problem that happens so often,..... now I'll be able to finish two other mods that have been on hold for over two years,..... when we had our Micro Lite 21DS, I had already bought a Swagman bike rack for the bumper and a BAL Hide-A-Spare to remove the spare off the bumper, before I saw the sticker warning against mounting anything that wasn't factory approved, ..... those mods have been in limbo and those two items have been stored away, for so long that I'd actually accepted the possibility that I would never mount anything back there,..... but that's changed now,... happy trailering,.......
Seems you could have put the Hide-a-spare on anytime, couldn't you?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Seems you could have put the Hide-a-spare on anytime, couldn't you?
yes, If I had chosen to do that, but without the bike rack on the bumper,...... I chose to not, remove weight from the rear and add weight closer to the front, ...... that just didn't seem like a wise thing to do, but that's just my opinion....

Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
yes, If I had chosen to do that, but without the bike rack on the bumper,...... I chose to not, remove weight from the rear and add weight closer to the front, ...... that just didn't seem like a wise thing to do, but that's just my opinion....
I don't always take my bikes with me, so I figure it probably doesn't matter when I put it on. I installed it only a foot or so in front of the front axle. If you haven't seen it, here's my thread on my install:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ite-91088.html

Watch out for that gas line on the curb side!

Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I don't always take my bikes with me, so I figure it probably doesn't matter when I put it on.
well, we do have to make our own decisions about what we do and what we don't do to our tt's and then live with the results of those decisions, and of course my decisions won't always be the same as yours, ...... and as it's turned out, if we had either or both of those items on the 21DS, we would have lost them in the accident and I'd be buying them again,..... so, even though it wasn't planned this way, there is a plus to how this has turned out,......

the Hide-A-Spare is a quality product and is now sitting in place, next trip to Lowe's will be bolts and Nylock nuts, ...... always Nylock nuts, whenever possible on the trailer, outside and inside, ...... its not likely, but if they do loosen a bit from vibration, they will not turn all the way and fall off the bolt,......

Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #19

Another issue is the thickness of the bumper. If the bumper
is too thin then no amount of brackets will help. The manufacturers
are doing everything possible to make trailers lighter. If a thinner
bumper drops 5 pounds off the weight then they are going to do it.
Personally I would just go down to Harbor Freight Tools and
buy 4 U-bolts and install those.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #20

Really interested in this thread. We have a 2011 2304s and are tired of hauling bikes in & out of camper & had been looking at various ways to carry bikes. Ladder mount, front of car mount, aframe mount but this looks like what we are looking for. Do you think we would be able to carry bikes & spare tire on bumper with these struts?

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote