Old 09-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

4Square SafetyStruts bumper support brackets

The "weak bumper" issue has been discussed here many times, with all sorts of opinions, solutions, and suggestions, but unless I've just over looked it, I've never seen this product mentioned. Ran across it tonight and am asking does anyone use it or know anything about it pro or con. Very high reviews on Amazon and that's the only place I can find it except the manufactures own site. What say ye.......?

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/mnl-car...bumper-failure

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JASCNEE...UK0CTGF15Z#Ask

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

I threw this product out on this forum a few months ago. I was also looking for input. No one responded. I was not sure if they thought I was advertising the product or if everyone was just unfamiliar with product. I look forward to seeing if you get more reviews.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

It's been discussed a number of times but they haven't been around long enough for a long term review.
Personally, my bikes are too valuable to put someplace I can't see them or where they can be smashed by a rear ender.
I prefer to put them on the truck bumper or in the truck bed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It's been discussed a number of times but they haven't been around long enough for a long term review.
Personally, my bikes are too valuable to put someplace I can't see them or where they can be smashed by a rear ender.
I prefer to put them on the truck bumper or in the truck bed.

Before my 1st post, I had not SEARCHED the forum about them, I just had not seen any mention of them, but your post made me curious and I did a search. Don't know what you consider "long enough", but I found a thread from Sept. 2014(2yrs. ago), where they were mentioned by someone who was already using them and another positive mention from Sept. 2015(1yr. ago). As now, you were negative in both of those as well, you're certainly welcome to your opinion, but you've not used them and I was hoping someone who HAS used them would give their assessment, positive or negative. You seem to imply your concern is the value of your stuff not the condition of the bumper, so I guess you wouldn't put anything back there no matter how safe or sturdy the bumper was, if that's your position, fine,...... but in the rv world they're millions of people who DO mount stuff on their bumpers everyday, and probably an equal number who WANT TO, but don't. The search and concern is to know that the bumper can handle the load without a failure. The 4 Square Safety Strut is simply a product that claims to eliminate that bumper failure. The 63 reviews on Amazon are 98% positive, the one and only neg. "Way over priced for what you get did not see where you gain a great amount of benifits",..... price? and its easy to believe he returned the item...... Anyway, now I know there are 4Square SafetyStrut users in the forum and am hoping they will add to the discussion,......... happy trailering..........

Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

I have to wonder that this product, while adding strength to the welds where the bumper tube connects to the frame, it does not do anything for the frame itself. My take on many posts here is that the frame may be the failure point.

I will now sit back and read the following comments... LOL
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

I bought and installed this product on the TT we just traded in. I mounted a truck style toolbox onto the rear bumber to store and tote all of our lounge chairs and firewood. In addition to the bolts drilled through the i-beams, I also had the supports welded in place. In the 2 years / 5000 miles it was there, it worked as advertised. I checked the bumper welds frequently and there was never any signs of impending failure. I will be doing the same mod to the new 5er. It works! (no matter what the naysayers who will be along shortly to tell you.)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I have to wonder that this product, while adding strength to the welds where the bumper tube connects to the frame, it does not do anything for the frame itself. My take on many posts here is that the frame may be the failure point.

I will now sit back and read the following comments... LOL
In my 4yrs + on this forum, lots of folks have discussed frame failure, but it's almost always been "hear-say." Only one person ever posted an actual picture, and most of us who saw it thought it was caused by using the stabilizers as jacks rather than hanging weight on the bumper, based on where the failure occurred.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Just installed them yesterday. We shall see, very easy in stall have a 15% & 20% coupon from the rv show if wanted.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

I installed the 4Square Safety Struts on my new 2014 Shamrock 183 way back in the summer of 2014. I carry a home-built aluminum channel bike rack on the passenger side of the TT bumper and on the driver side I have installed a HF aluminum cargo carrier. They are both attached via Curt bumper adapters. see picture... The two Curt adapters are attached within about 2 feet of each side where the bumper welds to the frame

I am careful to not overload the carrier and typically carry no more then 40# in the carrier ( total weight maybe 80# including carrier), while also carrying my fairly heavy adult bike on the passenger side. I shortened the HF carrier tube by drilling new holes so it does not hang out so far past the bumper.

I typically tow slow 60-65 and never do wash-board roads that would send the TT bouncing down the road... as I said I try to be careful. All that said, I have NOT had any problems with my bumper or the things hanging off the bumper. This is after a couple of 3,000+ mi trips during the winter south into FL, and numerous other shorter trips. I inspected the bumper welds and frame and the previously added struts earlier this summer after returning from my latest winter south FL trip... I found nothing amiss and the struts seem to be doing the intended job of keeping the bumper from trying to "roll-over" and break the welds. I endorse the Strut product IF you are smart and don't overload the rear bumper...

the 3rd pic... greyish paint is where I applied some rubberized black paint to keep corrosion at bay when I first installed struts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curt01.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	121270   Click image for larger version

Name:	curt02.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	121271  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

thanks to everyone for your input, ... y'all have convinced me they're worth trying, will be ordering and installing very soon......

again, thanks to you all.........