Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

50Amp RV on 30Amp main and 20Amp GFCI

Has anyone seen this done yet? My father has a 40' 5er with 2 ac units running on a 50amp outlet. I have seen some ideas using the 30 amp and the 20amp outlet to add the extra juice but being an electrician I see the faults in how that is wired. I recently stumbled upon the JTB which uses the supplemental 20amp outlet to power just the second AC but are selling them for $700.

The JTB will power the second ac via the campers main shore line or it switches the second ac off of the shore power when the secondary 20 amp cord is plugged in... I love the idea and was curious if anyone else had any comments or thoughts as to how they have dealt with this situation.

Alex

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Always Learning

I think the problem with this is that it assumes that the RV pedastal is wired with the 20amp and 30amp breakers separately. If I recall from prior discussions about these "cheater boxes" that this isn't always the case and you're still limited in what you can pull/use.

And, ironically- I just read a campground rule that basically talked about now allowing this. Something to the effect of "you can't pull more amps than the hookup provides" or something weird. It was vague but made me think of these "cheater cords" and/or the autoformers.

BUT- I really don't know enough about this stuff to speak intelligently about it. Just the tiny bit that I think I've gleaned from the forums.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Doug, I actually thought about that as well about the idea of some of the pedestals not having the extra 20 amp plug. Fortunately most of where my folks are camping near us have a 30 amp plug and breaker as well as the extra 20 amp plug and breaker.

Assuming he is in a site with the separate feeds then there shouldn't be a problem...

It really isn't any different than what I do for much of the summer... I camp with a 30 amp service camper and one ac and generally carry an electric smoker for cooking. If hooked to the camper it will trip the breaker so I carry an extra heavy duty cord and plug in my smoker in the supplemental 20amp outlet where I am proposing the second AC of my folk's camper be hooked...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
edt

Ga State parks have 2-30 outlets each on different phases you can use a cheater cable on these and get 60 amps. to be sure check the 2 hot leads and you should get 220 volts
edt is offline   Reply With Quote